• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Not live - cam in Owl box (1 Viewer)

Wetstuff

This is a Wood Duck box repurposed for a Screech Owl ...that was also inhabited by a Crested Flycatcher this past summer.

Previously, I simply hung a security cam under the box covering a section of the 1/4mi drive up to the house. I had a great deal of difficulty as I live on a marsh and the humidity simply killed two HIK Vision cameras by overpowering the 'waterproof' connectors and corroding the fittings.

I both, switched to Dahua equipment and moved the cam and connector into the box. Now I only get 2-20 second time/image skips when it is foggy or raining.

As we do not have internet access in our area (aside from satellite - which is like dial-up) I do not use the camera for security ...mostly for the view when one of the other driveway sensors go off ...a pretty picture - even now more entertaining. We have a woodpecker that comes around to check .. one morning there were 3-4 Chickadees that came to harass the Owl ...who was cackling like an old witch ..even the occasional Tree Rat comes to see if it is unoccupied.

It has been far more entertaining than simply hanging a security cam. Cheers.

Jim - Eastern shore, Maryland

Attachments

• Owl.jpg
    Owl.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 54
  • owlcam2.jpg
    owlcam2.jpg
    846.7 KB · Views: 46
  • owlcam1.jpg
    owlcam1.jpg
    860.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Woody1.jpg
    Woody1.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 49
I still have issues programming security cameras, squirrels chewing cables, moist connections, etc.. But, there is an occasional benefit to adversity.

The far-away camera has been an issue, so I set one up close in to look up the driveway. It turns out there is a different set of birds that visit the birdbath vs the feeders?! Some we would never casually see.

This is an inexpensive, easy to install security kit from Nelly's of Tulsa, Oklahoma (the States) and 4K to boot. The cable is over turf at the moment so I have to figure that out, but we really enjoy it. It will become a permanent installation.

Jim

...the tripod is a Panasonic Limux cam where I can take pictures using my iPhone. It is a time suck though.

Attachments

• Birdbath.jpg
    Birdbath.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • Bath3.jpg
    Bath3.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Bath1.jpg
    Bath1.jpg
    781.2 KB · Views: 23
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back