Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Field guides in the future

Old Friday 8th November 2019, 08:40   #51
jurek

Quote:
Originally Posted by opisska View Post
Doesn't the weight of these powerbanks and backups add to an equivalent of a nice book or two though? :)
First, powerbanks stay in your big luggage. On the day trip you have only the smartphone.

Then, smartphone you use for calls, navigation, whatsapping your Indonesian guides (SMS or voice call is less common in Indonesia), even for an occasional phone home. So you carry it anyway.

Then is a question of scale - 5 books on a smartphone do not weigh more than 1.

Since I was shown an experimental app of Birds of New Guinea, I suspect that within 5 years virtually all countries will have a dedicated bird app.

Things to consider are:
A stash of resealable plastic bags, 1 and 3 liter, sold cheaply for wrapping lunch. Needed also for books and everything else. One of my books did turn into a mass of paper pulp and paint in a heavy rain, too.

Managing your information. Don't drown in folders. Order your books and calls in folders - I did it by places, class of animals and in calls by bird families. Add numbers or letters in front of the names to upgrade folders you need and downgrade ones you don't need (e.g. entering New Guinea from Bali I rename folders: 0 NG bird book and ZZZ Bali bird book).

Sturdy plastic cover for your phone and a screen foil (ca 5 EUR each).

I will see how this system works in future, now with multiple smartphones in the group (to insure against breaking down one) it seems to be better.

Last edited by jurek : Friday 8th November 2019 at 08:42.
Old Friday 8th November 2019, 10:44   #52
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

I've been in heavy coastal rain recently when a paper book would have just turned to mush.. the phone survived, but was struggling. Raindrops from my hat were actually tapping the screen more reliably than my fingers!
But I got there in the end.. It was a Pom!

Try and get a waterproof phone.. mine has had several dunkings but seems to cope fine.
And also beware, whether you have paper or phones, most of the damage happens when you forget about them and leave them wet in a waterproof bag for a few days after the trip, or with water trapped between the phone and case.

Best birding is always in bad weather There are no other ******* about for a start!
Old Friday 8th November 2019, 11:01   #53
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

And something else I've realised, with my own books.. 100% paper or 100% digital is never going to be the right solution. I look at my paper books, they are all UK Flowers, insects, butterflies, etc. typically associated with nice weather!

My digital guides and apps are all pursuits involving potentially bad weather, or long journeys, flights etc.

works for me.
Old Friday 8th November 2019, 11:23   #54
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.jones View Post
Raindrops from my hat were actually tapping the screen more reliably than my fingers!
But I got there in the end.. It was a Pom!
Reading this on my small phone screen ... misread the 'm' as 'rn'

Was wondering if that is something you should be admitting on Birdforum :) :)

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: