• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wildlife officers public info appeal - Wedge-tailed Eagle killings, Yea, (1 Viewer)

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
https://www.wildlife.vic.gov.au/media-releases/more-eagles-killed-in-suspected-illegal-shooting

21 June 2017

"Wildlife officers are appealing to the public for information relating to the killing of Wedge-tailed Eagles (Aquila audax) in the Yea area [VIC, Australia]. Up to 20 Wedge-tailed Eagles have been found dead, either shot or poisoned, in the same area during recent years."

This is sickening. The perpetrators need to be found and prosecuted.

The exact causes and methods of death need to be identified. I'm always concerned by the potential for accidental poisonings and secondary poisonings in relation to 1080 baits (used in wild dog, and feral fox control), and secondary poisonings with Pindone (used in feral rabbit control), along with the potential to spuriously misuse their application. If the Eagles were shot, it should be a simple matter to X-ray the carcasses to confirm.

Ridiculous that these magnificent birds are still persecuted, especially when you consider the vital ecological functions they perform by preying on the introduced feral fox
http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2013-12-05/flying-foxes-in-the-wheatbelt/5138450

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Sickening - the lack of respect that (presumably) ‘newbies’ have for indigenous and endemic wildlife compared with the native Aborigines is disgraceful and must have them yearning for ‘Dreamtime’.....

Laurie -

There is a special place in Hell for that person and if i was living in Oz they would want to be there before i bumped into them:C

Laurie:t:

600+ Eagles murdered !!!

The total number of Wedgies that have been poisoned in the last couple of years just in one area may not be accurately known. Wildlife Officers believe they haven't discovered them all.

"Texts and emails reveal scheme to poison Eagles"
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...FsGyfPkdgqDYlXSxOrQPc5Z99BVb9n3Gc4vni4oW6tUF4

The wet lettuce sentences passed on these clearly premeditated and deliberate guilty parties is pathetic. It offers no deterrent to what is an entrenched widespread normalised illegal practice .....

Farmer's Federations, Media, and Government Members at all levels need to bombarded with the justified outrage.

Doesn't say what his motive was for killing the birds, just that he was a farmer?
It really doesn't matter what his motive was - it's illegal and it's wrong. It's also a crime against nature and humanity. Cue any of the usual retarded factually wrong excuses that farmers or other land managers use.

I used to read of the backwards persecution of raptors that took place in Britain and just be smh thinking how could you be so dumb and cruel. I was glad though that it seemed to be isolated and that widespread deliberate prosecution didn't occur here - how wrong that was. This evil takes the cake.

If such a deliberate, premeditated, organised and ongoing crime of cruelty on protected wildlife, with multiple sources of corroborating evidence, isn't enough to be charged under the appropriate State and Federal laws - then what is? :storm:

Government needs to act now !

Government needs to send a strong message that wildlife is protected and the laws have meaning and will be enforced.

It really doesn't matter what his motive was - it's illegal and it's wrong. It's also a crime against nature and humanity. Cue any of the usual retarded factually wrong excuses that farmers or other land managers use.

I used to read of the backwards persecution of raptors that took place in Britain and just be smh thinking how could you be so dumb and cruel. I was glad though that it seemed to be isolated and that widespread deliberate prosecution didn't occur here - how wrong that was. This evil takes the cake.

If such a deliberate, premeditated, organised and ongoing crime of cruelty on protected wildlife, with multiple sources of corroborating evidence, isn't enough to be charged under the appropriate State and Federal laws - then what is? :storm:

Government needs to act now !

Government needs to send a strong message that wildlife is protected and the laws have meaning and will be enforced.

Most of these p r icks do usually have a reason, even they don't do it randomly, e.g in the UK they have Grouse to protect for the gentry to blast away at.

I wondered if they were blaming Eagles for taking livestock or else why have they done it?

Mostly their triggers are lamb losses - erroneously attributed to Eagles.
The biggest causes of lamb losses are: https://www.mla.com.au/research-and...eding/Sheep/Reproduction/Predation-management
Natural - over half - stillborn, nutrition deficit, weather, etc
Wild dogs - also includes hybrids, dingoes, (and much less frequently domestic dogs)
Feral Pigs
Feral Foxes
then much lesser quantities attributable
Australian Raven
then mostly already dead or terminally weak/ill
Birds of Prey
Etc

It has been shown that Livestock Guardian Animals markedly increase lambing survival rates.

The average newborn lamb weighs about the same as an Eagle so it would be quite the effort to carry one away. Ewes also aren't going to abandon viable lambs to birds - only dogs/pigs/foxes could really force that, and the ewes themselves are vulnerable to some of them.

Considering lambs are worth so much money to farmers surely it would pay to have sheltered areas close to home fenced off with 6ft high cyclone fencing to keep predators out and preserve feed.

Eagles are a protected species.
They need to throw the book at this bloke - the maximum penalty under the Wildlife Act is still only ~$350K and/or 6 months jail. So there's not even a guarantee of him doing time ..... :-C

Last edited:
Agree that he should be more harshly dealt with, the scale of this crime is pretty enormous, I assume the Kiwi will have a life ban from OZ after being deported?

In the US you can be fined $250,000 and 20 yrs in prison for this offense. In fact you can't even pick up and posses feathers from a Bald Eagle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back