• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Muntjac as the prey? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Yesterday late am from bedroom window, witnessed a Muntjac (think female), ''hurtling'' out of our hedge across the lawn to the opposing hedge, and it's fair to say it did look distressed!

Moments later a big dog Fox ran into the same hedge which in turn ''outed'' the Muntjac once more across the lawn.

This was repeated again by both participants finally both disappearing into the hedge where no doubt their respective short legs were fully employed clearing the obstructive fence.

The Fox was almost as big as the Muntjac and was clearly showing ''intent'', after which I never heard any ''untoward'' noises. Assumed all's well that ends well, am surprised that the fox would have engaged such ''large'' quarry...if that's what it was actually doing...or using it for training purposes?

Cheers

Quite possibly the Muntjac initiated the chase. Muntjac have long canines and can be very aggressive, they could easily take out a cub we are over run with Muntjac where I am but very few foxes come to think of it - Vixens are also getting very territorial (lots of screaming) at the moment looking for new earths - half a dozen of one and six of the other I’d say.

Quite possibly the Muntjac initiated the chase. Muntjac have long canines and can be very aggressive, they could easily take out a cub we are over run with Muntjac where I am but very few foxes come to think of it - Vixens are also getting very territorial (lots of screaming) at the moment looking for new earths - half a dozen of one and six of the other I’d say.

We’re over run with both Deb...and if you throw in the Grey Squirrels, Corvids, Large Gulls and Parakeets....:eek!:

Not sure where you are going with this.... foxes, corvids and gulls are native?

John

It was Deb's comment on being ''over run'' with imported Muntjac...that I responded with that other import...Grey Squirrel and just got carried away with the rest of the vermin that have thrived because of man's activities and with it the resultant global warming.

Momentarily...I re-ran my ''minds eye'' tapes of 60 years ago and wondered if the greater diversity of the time....was but a dream.

It was Deb's comment on being ''over run'' with imported Muntjac...that I responded with that other import...Grey Squirrel and just got carried away with the rest of the vermin that have thrived because of man's activities and with it the resultant global warming.

Momentarily...I re-ran my ''minds eye'' tapes of 60 years ago and wondered if the greater diversity of the time....was but a dream.

Ah, vermin.... always an interesting word for discussion!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back