• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conifer ID help please. (1 Viewer)

NIK III

Would anyone be kind enough to give me an opinion as to what type of tree this is. A common name and latin name would be very helpful if possible. I'm afraid my knowledge of trees extends only to it's probably some kind of fir or cedar tree. It's growing in a garden in West Yokshire, about 375 metres above sea level. It's about 7 metres or so tall. The cones are just on the top few branches.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Conifer.jpg
    Conifer.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 75
Would anyone be kind enough to give me an opinion as to what type of tree this is. A common name and latin name would be very helpful if possible. I'm afraid my knowledge of trees extends only to it's probably some kind of fir or cedar tree. It's growing in a garden in West Yokshire, about 375 metres above sea level. It's about 7 metres or so tall. The cones are just on the top few branches.

Thanks.

OK, it's a true fir of some kind, and looks rather like Abies procera, Noble fir, but a closer picture of the foliage would clinch it.

Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike. This is a blow up of the original. If this is not detailed enough I'll try and get a much closer pic.

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• Conifer 2.JPG
    Conifer 2.JPG
    384.6 KB · Views: 64
Thanks Isurus, that's useful to me. As Mike suggested I did get a bit closer. Here's another couple. I know the next book for my nature library will have to be a tree ID book, but would I be right assuming the brown pods are seed pods?

Attachments

• Conifer 3.JPG
    Conifer 3.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Conifer 4.JPG
    Conifer 4.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 69
Not too sure of the species but the " brown pods" are the exhausted male flowers. Conifers seeds are in the cones. Collins do a tree guide called - wait for it - Collins " Tree Guide". It's got the same style cover as the ones on birds and butterflies, and is excellent.
Chris

Not too sure of the species but the " brown pods" are the exhausted male flowers. Conifers seeds are in the cones. Collins do a tree guide called - wait for it - Collins " Tree Guide". It's got the same style cover as the ones on birds and butterflies, and is excellent.
Chris

Thanks for the info Chris. I'll check out the Collins. If I carry on like this I'm going to need a shelf just for my Collins guides ;).

Abies procera glauca I think (blue morph noble fir).

Yes, spot on.

You can see that it is procera by the little "hockey stick" curve where the needle is attached to the twig. Other Abies species don't have this to the same degree.

Mike

You can see that it is procera by the little "hockey stick" curve where the needle is attached to the twig. Other Abies species don't have this to the same degree.

Mike

Thanks again Mike. It's much more difficult to identify trees than I imagined.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back