• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autumnwatch ( UK TV ) (1 Viewer)

studh

On the Autumnwatch programme , a viewers question was, ' How far will Starlings fly to roost' ?
This pertained to the vast numbers that flocked to roost at places like the Somerset levels, where there were hundreds of thousands; the question was never really answered! Does anyone know?

I guess one approach to answering this would be:
1) study an area like the levels or fens where roosts are probably mainly in large reed-beds and observation is easier due to flat landscape.
2) Gather information from local birders on known roosts in the area.
3) Plot roost sites on a map and extrapolate travel distances from spacing of roosts.

There was an answer in there if you could pick it up amongst all the stupid babble. There was the suggestion that they'll fly pretty far, maybe a few kilometres or more I think was mentioned. Does anyone else remember what was said?

No,was too busy watchung the amazing swirls of the birds(and trying to sort out why I could not leave any comments on BF!!!).

On the Autumnwatch programme , a viewers question was, ' How far will Starlings fly to roost' ?
This pertained to the vast numbers that flocked to roost at places like the Somerset levels, where there were hundreds of thousands; the question was never really answered! Does anyone know?

I am not sure there is a definitive answer but some birds make a regular daily movement equivalent to around 50 miles radius from the roost. I doubt starlings need to do this in the UK but interestingly, the winter roosts are largely made up of continental winter migrants rather than UK birds. This means another way of answering the question is to say hundreds of miles and given roosts generally peak in November and fall in number afterwards, this is not such a bad answer.

Incidentally, the good displays are weather-dependant and require a reasonably high cloud base with light winds. Looking at the weather this autumn tells me that it has all been perfect but it may not stay that way with the forecast westerlies so plan your trip soon.

Studies using methods such as radio tracking and wing tags have found that the maximum distances travelled from roosts tend to be up to 50 km (so just over 30 miles), but occasional movements of up to 80 km (c50 miles) have been recorded for a few individuals.
One such study, which found that movements were usually up to 40 km, but with one movement of 80 km can be found here.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back