• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cotingas & Manakins (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Kirwan & Green 2011. Helm Identification Guides: Cotingas and Manakins. Christopher Helm, London.
130 spp, 624pp, 34 plates, ~400 photographs.

Just received my copy of this impressive book. A quick summary of the scope/taxonomy...

Genera included (in addition to Pipridae and Cotingidae):
  • Eurylaimidae: Sapayoa
  • Oxyruncidae: Oxyruncus
  • Tityridae: Schiffornis, Laniocera, Laniisoma, Iodopleura
  • Incertae sedis: Piprites, Calyptura, Phibalura
A few differences in species-level taxonomy wrt IOC World Bird List v2.10:
  • Dixiphia maintained as a monotypic genus (D pipra)
  • Chloropipo (flavicapilla, holochlora, uniformis, unicolor) not merged in Xenopipo
  • Machaeropterus (regulus) striolatus and Corapipo (leucorrhoa) altera not treated as distinct species
[See also: www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=214780]

Last edited:
Kirwan & Green 2011. Helm Identification Guides: Cotingas and Manakins. Christopher Helm, London.
130 spp, 624pp, 34 plates, ~400 photographs.

Just received my copy of this impressive book. A quick summary of the scope/taxonomy...

Genera included (in addition to Pipridae and Cotingidae):
  • Eurylaimidae: Sapayoa
  • Oxyruncidae: Oxyruncus
  • Tityridae: Schiffornis, Laniocera, Laniisoma, Iodopleura
  • Incertae sedis: Piprites, Calyptura, Phibalura
A few differences in species-level taxonomy wrt IOC World Bird List v2.10:
  • Dixiphia maintained as a monotypic genus (D pipra)
  • Chloropipo (flavicapilla, holochlora, uniformis, unicolor) not merged in Xenopipo
  • Machaeropterus (regulus) striolatus and Corapipo (leucorrhoa) altera not treated as distinct species
[See also: www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=214780]

What do you think of the quality of the plates Richard? Linked thread gives mixed reaction. This is a book I seem to have been waiting years for But I do want the plates to be good.

Plates

What do you think of the quality of the plates Richard?
I'm no art expert, and my experience of this group is limited to a few species found in the Southern Cone, but I think Eustace Barnes's plates mostly look pretty good: not the ultimate in detail, and sometimes a bit 'flat'-looking; but crisp and vivid, without being too gaudy.

"plates mostly look pretty good: not the ultimate in detail, and sometimes a bit 'flat'-looking; but crisp and vivid, without being too gaudy."
I look forward to re-reading this in a 2015 Birding magazine article!

I look forward to re-reading this in a 2015 Birding magazine article!
Mark, you've obviously noticed my previous intemperate grumbling about the sometimes rather belated book reviews in ABA's Birding. But I was pleasantly surprised to see that the latest issue (Nov 2011) reviews a book published this year! - albeit an example authored by an ABA Director. ;)

Last edited:
Phoenicircus

MARTINS, Denise Mendes. Sistemática molecular e filogeografia do gênero Phoenicircus Swainson, 1832 (Aves: Cotingidae). 2012. 37 f. Dissertação (Mestrado) - Universidade Federal do Pará, Museu Paraense Emílio Goeldi, Belém, 2012.

Abstract:
Many hypotheses have been erected to attempt to explain the origin and maintenance of the Amazon‟s high biodiversity, although few can been tested under a phylogeographic approach. We evaluated patterns of temporal and spatial genetic diversity of two endemic bird species in the Brazilian Amazon, which have allopatric populations restricted to different areas of endemism and limited by the main rivers of the Amazon basin. Sequences of two mitochondrial genes (ND2 and cytb) and two nuclear (βf7 and G3PDH intron 11) were obtained from 30 individuals, throughout the range of the genus Phoenicircus comprising the two currently-recognised species P. carnifex and P. nigricollis. The use of phylogeographic tools, in combination with population genetics and molecular dating allowed us to reconstruct the spatial and temporal context of the diversification of this genus in the Amazon region, as well as make predictions about its evolutionary history and geographical environment. Our data revealed the existence of four genetically distinct groups, demonstrating the paraphyletic status of P. carnifex and reciprocal monophyly between the two allopatric populations of P. nigricollis. These discoveries necessitate a revision of the current two-species arrangement of the genus Phoenicircus. The group‟s evolutionary history is defined by two types of vicariant events, initially by the formation of the main rivers of the Amazon during the Plio-Pleistocene, and more recently as a result of neotectonics activity in the central Amazon, highlighting the importance of historical processes when modeling the present Amazonian biota.

[PDF]

Gala Cortés Ramírez, 2009. Biogeografía histórica de la familia Cotingidae. Tesis de Maestría, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México.

Abstract:
Historical processes involved in the origin and diversification of Neotropical biotas are poorly understood. Cotingas (Cotingidae) in spite of its diversity and eye-catching appearance are among the least studied avian groups of the Americas. Using its phylogeny and the Phylogenetic Analysis for Comparing Trees (PACT), I studied basic issues of their biogeographical history. I also used available phylogenies of other Suboscine taxa groups as comparison to obtain a general overview of the processes intervening in the establishment of the Neotropical biodiversity. A Cotingids distribution
database was constructed using information of different collections and other data sources. The database was used to obtain potential distribution maps for all the species and then a Parsimony Analysis of Endemicity (PAE) based on 1° x 1° degree grids was made in order to obtain areas of endemism. These areas were used as the historical units in the PACT, in which Cotingidae, Tityridae, Pipridae, and Tyrannidae taxonomic area cladograms were compared. Several dispersion and vicariance events between the Guianan Shield, Andes, and Amazon Basin, were recognized and were considered of major importance in the establishment of the diversity of the Tyrannoidea in the Neotropics. For Cotingidae, at least tree vicariant events in the Andes were identified in the early
history of the family, followed by a diversification of lowland species within the Amazon basin from ancestors of Andean and Guianian affinities. Later, they reach Mesoamerica (via the northwestern Andes), the Atlantic Forest and the peripheral arid lands from the Amazon. The evolution of these biotas reflects more than a single vicariant event. Diversification processes of the most ancestral lineages must have occurred mainly in the Oligocene-Miocene, while recent speciation events and actual distributions were established in the Pleistocene.

[PDF]

Berv & Prum

Berv & Prum. A Comprehensive Multilocus Phylogeny of the Neotropical Cotingas with Comparative Analysis of Breeding System and Plumage Dimorphism. Evolution 2014. (p60)
The Neotropical cotingas (Cotingidae: Aves) are among the most phenotypically and behaviorally diverse groups of passerine birds. This diversity has obfuscated cotinga taxonomy, and the resolution of previous phylogenetic hypotheses have been limited by taxon and character sampling. Here, we present a comprehensive phylogeny of the Neotropical cotingas based on molecular data for up to 7500 base pairs across six nuclear and mitochondrial loci for a sample of 61 cotinga species in all 25 genera, and 22 species of suboscine outgroups. We analyze these phylogenetic data using a Bayesian species tree method, and concatenated Bayesian and maximum likelihood methods, and present a highly supported phylogenetic hypothesis. We confirm the monophyly of the cotingas, and present the first comprehensive hypothesis of intrageneric relationships. Key findings include the first placement of Phibalura flavirostris as sister group to Ampelion and Doliornis, the paraphyly of Lipaugus with respect to Tijuca, and the first resolution of the diverse radiations of Cotinga, Lipaugus, Pipreola, and Procnias genera. Finally, we use our phylogeny to test the hypothesis that the increase in sexual selection associated with polygynous breeding systems fosters the evolution of sexual dimorphism in plumage coloration.
[With thanks to Nick Sly.]​

Last edited:
Berv & Prum

Berv & Prum. A Comprehensive Multilocus Phylogeny of the Neotropical Cotingas with Comparative Analysis of Breeding System and Plumage Dimorphism. Evolution 2014. (p60)
Berv & Prum (in press). A comprehensive multilocus phylogeny of the Neotropical cotingas (Cotingidae, Aves) with a comparative evolutionary analysis of breeding system and plumage dimorphism and a revised phylogenetic classification. Mol Phylogenet Evol. [abstract]
Figure 3. Ultrametric species tree chronogram. The time scale (below) is in millions of years, and was estimated from five molecular rate calibrations from previous studies of passerine birds using lognormal relaxed clocks. Colors indicate our proposed subfamily classification.
ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S1055790314003133-gr3.jpg

Figure 5. Distribution of phenotypes, plumages, and size variation across the Cotingas. Illustrations are reproduced with permission from the Handbook of the Birds of the World. Vol. 9. Cotingas to Pipits and Wagtails, Lynx Editions 2004. Males are depicted towards the outer perimeter, while females are placed more interior. Sexual monomorphism is indicated by the presence of only a single illustration at a given terminal. Branches are color coded according to their posterior probability, and the centimeter scale indicates relative sizes.
ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S1055790314003133-gr5.jpg

Last edited:
Nice piha conundrum there. Anyone proposing a name change to "Olivaceous Cock-of-the-rock"?
I think renaming the former Lipaugus to pihas should be no issue. At least it explains why I didn't see Grey-winged...

"The only phylogenetically acceptable alternative [to subsuming Tijuca in Lipaugus] would be to split Lipaugus into at least three genera for: (1) unirufus alone, (2) lanioides alone, and (3) all other Lipaugus species." (Berv & Prum, 2014). I note that Turdampelis Lesson, 1844, is available for lanioides, but have yet to find a suitable monospecific tag for unirufus. Any offers/thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back