• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull with yellow legs Teesside UK (1 Viewer)

Rob Stonehouse

I was happy with this as Yellow-legged until I looked at the flight shots. P10 to P6 look great, but P5 looks all wrong with just a thin black band on the outer web only. All photos that I can find of adult Yellow-legged show a full, thick black band on P5. With this bird still getting reported as Yellow-legged I am wondering if I'm missing something. Help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

Attachments

• ylgullhaverton4.3.14.jpg
    ylgullhaverton4.3.14.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 290
  • gullhaverton4.3.14.jpg
    gullhaverton4.3.14.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 194
  • wing.jpg
    wing.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 159
this is tough, since there is hardly any really solid separation trait visible, between yellow-legged herring and the true one. i'm still swaying: legs do not look like those of adult YLG (too short, too dull coloured for an adult, even subadult at this age); it might be a 4th cycle or otherwise younger adult male herring gull with yellow legs and red orbital but it might as well be a YLG with incomplete p5 band, something which is rare but not impossible in YLG. black on the other primaries is on the restricted side for michahellis, so might be another indication that the bird is a HG indeed. all in all i don't like it jizzwise as being a YLG but i find it hard ot exclude the real one...
edit: att, an ad michahellis from swizzerland (lost the link, it's not my pic - if i find the link i'll replace it ;))

Attachments

• 11 2009.11.24 schweiz a. berlie ornitho 687-3113135-6201 no p5 mark!.jpg
    11 2009.11.24 schweiz a. berlie ornitho 687-3113135-6201 no p5 mark!.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
The mantle colour might be somewhat dark for HG, plus the black area to the Primaries might just be more favourable for michahellis (more extensive), and perhaps the more pronounced gony?

Cheers

Surely a yellow-legged Herring. Primary pattern together with the p5 mark fits Herring. The redish orbital ring is rather equally broad in front, and behind the eye, usually broadest in front of the eye in YLG.

JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back