• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (2 Viewers)

This morning at Son Bosc with an influx of waders:

5 Flamingo over, 13 Wood Sandpiper, 16 Little Stint, 6 Green Sandpiper, 3 Common Sandpiper, male Ruff, Gull-billed Tern, 7 Marbled Duck, 8 Purple Gallinule, Teal, 2 Marsh Harrier, 3 Hoopoe, 2 Stone Curlew, 5 Woodchat Shrike, Nightingale

Disappointed by the lack of larks and Tawny Pipit.

Cheers Stew -

Didn’t visit the winery as i was on a pushbike but as stated the whole area is great - just out of interest are the reintroduced Bonellis from elsewhere on Majorca or another Balearic island?

Laurie:t:

I have been reading up about “Life Bonelli” but can’t find where the chicks originated from.
Planning began in 2007 and the first releases were in 2009. Some birds died having been electrocuted on pylons but ENDESA have since altered the pylons so that this no longer happens.
None of the birds have left the Island.
Carlota here in Mallorca ran the project I believe so I have written to her to find out the origins of the birds. Will let you know.
Mike

I had to work this morning and I could not therefore go to the Cap. I was in a bit of a mood on the way to Lidl after work which worked a treat as my wife suggested looking in at the Cap for an hour.
I’m glad she did. There were twelve Pallid Swift flying around and two young Alpine Swift joined them, no doubt on their way off the Island.
Just as we were packing up to go, I noticed three dots in the sky. I had no binoculars or camera but my scope lives in the car luckily.
The birds circled together and I was aghast to see three brilliant White storks.
I’m wondering if they were the same three that have summered at Casa Blanca.
I believe White storks leave at the end of August so it’s likely I guess. They didn’t leave though, instead they drifted off to the west.
Cheered me up no end it did.
Mike

A fun morning at the Cap de Ses Salines with many of the locals and Frank, a visiting birder from the Netherlands.
I’m not sure if other birders suffer insomnia before a day out but I certainly do so I usually just get up and go. I was at the Cap just after 6.30am and saw 44 Scopoli’s shearwaters gliding gracefully over the waves. Two Eleonora’s Falcons left Cabrera to hunt over the pine trees at the Cap.
Three Turtle doves were at the roadside and a Blue Rock Thrush was sitting nearby for much of the time.
Two Alpine swifts were seen together with Marsh Harrier, Booted Eagle, many Red Kite, three Black Kite and the first Hobby of the autumn was logged.
A couple of Woodchats appeared and a group of 12 Ravens were having a go at a Marsh Harrier who clearly had gatecrashed their party.
I felt for Frank, news came through on his mobile of a first for the Netherlands, a Western Sandpiper.
The atmosphere at the Cap is always highly charged and it’s a privilege to be part of it all. Let’s hope for a bumper crop of migrants over the coming weeks.
Mike

I haven’t heard back from Carlota yet but I did ask about where the Bonelli’s Eagle chicks had come from for the re-introduction scheme.
The general feeling was that the majority came from mainland Spain with a few sourced from France.
If I get further information, I will post.
Mike

Thanks Martin.
I have just heard back from Carlota who tells me that the chicks introduced to Mallorca came from Andalucía.
The article Martin posted is well worth a read though.
The great news is that the pair who appear sometimes in the south have raised two young. Brilliant news.
Mike

There seems some doubt about my record of Larus fuscus on the 5th August.
I was at the Cap as usual before first light. I have never seen another birder there at this time and I go about three times a week.
The gulls begin to pass through, nearly all going east, from first light. Dozens of Audouin’s and Yellow-legged gulls go through so there is plenty of time to get your eye in and adjust to the light conditions so when one Gull goes through which is so obviously different and several shades darker, it is clearly a Lesser Black-backed Gull.
I know the date is very early but so many other species have been logged this year at very odd times.
Mike

Mike, the first returning LBBGs come down western Portugal through July and are in force through August. Maybe these are not your birds though.

Thanks Simon, not sure if they are the same birds but that’s very helpful knowing they are around for you in July.
I think some of our recognized dates need reviewing, many birds are turning up at “odd” times but I believe they have always been there, it’s just that Mallorca is thankfully now getting better coverage.
Mike

Sorry to gatecrash the forum but I have just landed at the other end of the Med on a last minute break to Cyprus- never been here before so am reporting on the Cyprus section of this forum as a novice if you want some blog type reports of a newcomer (as I was on Mallorca in 2000) Hugh Matthews Northampton

Mrs B and I are going to visit Palma when we’re on the Island in September (20+ visits to Mallorca and never been to Palma!). I seem to recall reports of feral parrots/parakeets in Palma or am I imagining things? If anyone can point me at anything in/around the city centre I’d be grateful. (Once we’ve seen the sights I have a feeling that Mrs B’s agenda will shift to shopping..).

Stew

Hi Stew.
Palma is a glorious city, we love it and go a couple of times every month, a day walking round, shopping and always ending with a trip to the cinema. It depends what you want but some tree-lined avenues are a joy with small courtyards here and there.
The area around the Borne is particularly nice with stops for coffee or lunch.
A walk along the front is also lovely. Don’t tell Tess but there are often good birds to see as well.
I don’t know the current status of Parakeets, I’ve never seen any. I believe there are some around Santa Ponça but the Palma ones were culled I think.
Perhaps anybody who knows more could help us out.
Mike

Last edited:
Oops. Just spoken to Jane and she says we have seen Parakeets around the Hard Rock Cafe, along the front, towards Cala Pi.
I must say, I don’t remember it but I’m sure she is right....she nearly always is.
Mike

Thanks for the Bonelli’s stuff and links:t:

Always a pulse-racing species for me - i last saw one as i was watching my still only first Tristram’s Warbler in Morocco and one shot through within a Cat’s whisker of catching the thing:eek!:

A pity that initial birds fell foul of the utilities:C I remember a documentary about Golden Eagles in Colorado in the 70’s that had taken to nesting on pylons and their number increased but so did electrocutions. The utility company increasd the gap between the cables to stop the birds forming a circuit and hey presto no more fried Goldies - they even started trimming nests with loppers! This information got passed to similiar scenarios in Utah, Montana and Wyoming:t:

A far cry from when they were hunted in light aircraft by ranchers in the 60’s.
You would have thought that Electric utilities the World over would have the raptor-friendly design uppermost when erecting them? Now we have the Tarifa ‘Eagle choppers’ to contend with.....

Laurie:t:

Well I got to Mortix this morning, first light. Parking was better than expected,
I parked on the dusty pull in just down from the vineyard entrance. Low cloud persisted throughout my visit but I managed 4 sightings of Bonelli's in the 3 hours I was on site. Certainly 3 different individuals which to my untrained eye looked to be 2x juveniles (1 rufous underparts, other very washed out, very pale) and an adult bird (high, very white body, dark under wing and tail) They were up above the bluffs, just beyond the bridge by the first resorvoir. 1 bird was also seen at the seaward end of the valley an hour after sunrise. Black & Griffin Vulture were all relatively low down, coming in and out of cloud and offering some excellent views. Other birds included Hoopoe, Cirl Bunting, Woodchat Shrike, many Spot Flycatchers including an albino bird in the olives along the vineyard track to the reserve gate. Thanks to everyone who replied to my original posts, they all helped,
and it was a fantastic morning in a fantastic site. Thanks again.
Thanks for all replies.

I tried Mortix last September but could find where to park (a couple of already taken laybys) or find entrance to reserve...any help/map that can shared? Do you need a permit too? Any particular time of day best? Thanks again, much appreciated

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back