• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBWAlive Key; mission accomplished or mission impossible? (1 Viewer)

James Jobling

England
To assist my revisions of the Key entries, and to ensure a measure of consistency, I requested Ferran Gil of Lynx Edicions to provide me with lists of entries that included the texts, "dedication not given" and "Etymology undiscovered." I was surprised at the lists then forthcoming; the first included some 40 entries or so, the second just over 60 (some undoubtedly eponyms). For many names I have suggested etymologies or provided alternatives. Those aficionados who, over the years, have supported the Key and who like to keep up-to-date with events therein, are presented, with apologies for any repetitions, the following groups of outstanding, mainly specific names (see the appropriate Key entry for full details):

(1) Dedication not given: adamsoni, alice, annae, besti, cornelia, dorotheae, elenae, emiliae, evelynae, hectoris, helena, helenae, hildamariae, joanae, julietae, Julietata, krammeri, kvaskovskii, leocadiae, luciae, manueli, mariae, martini, menziesi, nanciae, phillipsi, phoebe, phoebei, Rauenia, royrei, sabinae, terglanei, thomassoni, vealeae, woodfordii, woodi.

(2) Etymology undiscovered: acoli, acormus, akool, Anerpous, argoondah, audoni, azreth, Bahila, calconi, christopheri, christophori, codea, condora, cubo, cuculio, dairi, danisa, daphanea, darbiski, Demelioteucus, denisea, duphaa, Eparnetes, Forpus, kot, kuru, kwini, lagepa, legerli, magdalenae, manis, Marisca, maronata, Merva, monte, mouki, Mutevodia, Nutchera, nutcheri, Osalia, Penelope, philordi, Pitalla, pseudogillia, Ptelenorhynchus, scheltobriuscha, sungu, taigoor, tatao, Timalia, tsipi, vana, Visendavis, Zanda, zanda, Zelica.

All new information and suggestions will be gratefully received and acknowledged.

krammeri as here

...pedibus , exceptis digitis , lanatis, corpore teftaceo maculis nigris, capite, & collo albidioribus. Krammer Elench.
indeed Wilhelm Heinrich Kramer (1724-1765) as suspected in the Key as he wrote:

Kramer W. H., Elenchus vegetabilium et animalium per Austriam inferiorem observatorum etc.

Last edited:
Thanks Martin. I agree with krammeri and have adjusted the Key entry accordingly. I was going to query your thoughts on adamsoni (not being able to find links with Meinertzhagen, Nicoll, or Egypt), but they have just disappeared!

For Cornelia I can't find a name in the family from either Bruijn or van Renesse van Duivenbode as in the Key, so I think that link doesn't work (Hey C. J. 2010. Biographical Notes of Antonie Augustus Bruijn (1841-1890). Bogor).

Last edited:
Menzies is Archibald Menzies (1754-1842) Assistant Surgeon in the Navy on the HMS Discovery (led by George Vancouver). He found the species in King George Sound, WA , the discovery is well explained here (Whittell 1954: 33-35) on the Musk Duck on 3 October 1791.

Many thanks Justin, for clearing up menziesi. I was so acclimatised to Mathews's names being unfathomable that it did not occur to me to consult my copy of Whittell! Noting what you say about "Cornelia Bruijn" I have tweaked the entry accordingly.

Prinia g. adamsoni . Here is what Col. M. wrote:
One page of his manuscript is headed Prinia gracilis adamsoni Nicoll, with Prinia g. gizae as a synonym. This form is said to e more fulvescent, almost yellowish-brown, than deltce, and the under-parts to be devoid of the dark striations usually present in deltce. The distribution is given as " Giza." No record can be found of either adamsoni or gizce having been published. An examination of NicolFs specimens at Giza and of a good series in various collections in England does not substantiate these forms, and it is probable that Nicoll himself would never have published them.
Thanks to Laurent:
Looking for something else, I just ran into an online version of Nicoll's birds of Egypt. If anyone wants to see the whole thing:
Vol.1: https://blsea.nus.edu.sg/en/persiste...4-0b201f35d700 .
Since the bird was from Giza we should look for an Adamson with connection to Zoological Garden at Giza?

I was going to query your thoughts on adamsoni (not being able to find links with Meinertzhagen, Nicoll, or Egypt), but they have just disappeared!

Yes, I removed as I realized that this was something different and not related to avoid confusion. I should have looked first into the key before placing that post.

maybe of help from here:

Nicoll and Bonhote, of the Zoological Service ; Mr. Branch, Secretary of the Sultanieh Society of Agriculture; Mr. Adamson, chief of the First Irrigation Circle; and Mr. W. A. Maule, of the Egyptian Government Survey, are amongst those to whom I am especially indebted for help on particular aspects of the Bilharzia problem, as it presented itself in Egypt.

Which could be here:

Arthur Marshall Adamson, Inspector-General of Irrigation, Lower Egypt

In here seems be an obituary.

Last edited:
Robert (Robin) Kemp (1871-1935) named three New Zealand birds in the Austral Avian Record in 1912. Although Kemp was primarily a conchologist he was a good friend of Iredale and did have a number of birds named after him.

In 1906 he emmigrated to New Zealand with his brother Humphrey. He lived at Umawera in the Hokianga in 1906 & 1907 (see Taranaki Herald, Volume LV, Issue 13898, 27 February 1909) and returned to England in 1908.

He published 2 names for birds he collected in Umawera and one from the Auckland Islands.

1) One can surmise that Bowdleria punctata vealeae is an honorific for a Mrs or Miss Veale. A Ms Winifred Veale was a Registered Nurse in the settlement of Herekino (near Umawera) in 1915.

2) The name phoebe is apparently not an honorific as it does not end in ae. The taxa described is a ssp of Prosthemadera novaeseelandiae that is darker and more iridescent. The name is most likely therefore to be a simple reference to the ancient Greek word Phoebe associated with Apollo also called Phoebus Apollo or "the "radiant one" ". Note that Kemp described another bird Turdinus phoebei (Bull. Br. Orn. Cl., 21 : 111). Note here the use of the suffix “–i”

3) The name kwini is an obscure Maori word that is borrowed from the English word “Queen”, the word is now spelt kuīni in Maori. The name may refer to the smaller size and demure plumage of this ssp of Prosthemadera novaeseelandiae.

P.

Robert (Robin) Kemp (1871-1935) named three New Zealand birds in the Austral Avian Record in 1912.

Are you sure about Robert? I ask as here is written:

Robin Kemp was the son of Robert Kemp, and was born in North London in 1871, but was schooled in the Mendips, Somersetshire. His mother was Ellen Home, a gifted woman who did clever illustrations mostly for children's books, and Robin inherited this gift to some extent.

Therefore I feel Robert is just the fathers name and this was somehow mixed up.

Addition (from a non-Latin mind!) on Visendavis, somewhat in line with Mark's Post #13; "As this bird is not a typical Paradisea, a subgenus, Visendavis, is here proposed for it until more is known about it, ...” Iredale 1948 (here) ... possibly from the Latin vīso, (to look at attentively, to view, to behold, to survey) turned into visenda (things worth notice), as of here, + avis?

For what it´s worth.

/B
--

Last edited:
Thank you, Mark and PScofield.
Visendavis should have leapt to the eye, but I was sidetracked by Iredale's association with Gregory Mathews who had little regard for the classics.
I have amended the entries for phoebe and vealeae, and you have confirmed my guess on kwini (it must be a relatively modern Maori name; I wonder if it refers to any particular queen - Maori or otherwise?)

Calalp, I got Kemps death date (d. 1/2 quarter 1935) from the "England & Wales, Death Index, 1837-2005". A Kemp family website has another Cornish Robert Kemp (d. 1949) mixed up with our man. Incidentally Kemps mothers maiden name was Horne not Home. And yes he was definately Robert.
Any one know who Mr Phoebe (in Turdinus phoebei) was - or is this just an error on Kemps part?

Just to simplify the grasp of this thread, and to save anyone some unwarranted work (no need to start all over, to invent the wheel again, at least not on all of them):

Names in blue have been dealt with earlier here on BirdForum (some of them only as far as finding the OD, others a bit deeper) ...

Dedication not given:
adamsoni (also see post #7-8)
alice
annae
besti (see post #9)
cornelia (versus #3?)
dorotheae
elenae
emiliae
evelynae
hectoris
helena
helenae

hildamariae
joanae
julietae
Julietata

krammeri (see post #2)
kvaskovskii
leocadiae
luciae

manueli
mariae
martini
menziesi (see post #5)
nanciae (see post #10-11)
phillipsi
phoebe
(see post #12)
phoebei (see post #12)
Rauenia
royrei
sabinae
terglanei
thomassoni

vealeae (see post #12)
woodfordii
woodi

Etymology undiscovered:
acoli
acormus
akool
Anerpous
argoondah
audoni
azreth
Bahila
calconi
christopheri
christophori
codea
condora
cubo
cuculio
dairi
danisa
daphanea
darbiski
Demelioteucus
denisea

duphaa
Eparnetes
Forpus
kot
kuru
kwini (see post #12)
lagepa
legerli
magdalenae
manis

Marisca
maronata
Merva
monte
mouki
Mutevodia
Nutchera
nutcheri

Osalia
Penelope
philordi
Pitalla
pseudogillia
Ptelenorhynchus
scheltobriuscha
sungu
taigoor
tatao
Timalia
tsipi
vana
Visendavis (see post #13 & 16)
Zanda
zanda
Zelica

Use the Search functions ('Search this Forum') to see what we found (or didn't find) in each case/thread. Then use the 'Search this thread' (on each resp. page/s) to find the name itself. Focus on the names in black, the blue ones, like I wrote, have been tried (to some extent) ... the black ones would be the ones most likely to be increased/expanded with something "new".

For any keen guest, anyone not regularly here on the Bird Name Etymology Forum (as the usual core of faithful "aficionados"): Remember; simply to avoid a "guessing game", with no dedications, nor any given explanations, it´s a tricky task. Always start with the OD itself, as there could be a tiny, minor clue, or clues, found in it ... if not, it´s easy to end up all astray, in the wrong Era/s, with the wrong person/s, no connections to the Author/s, etc., etc., ... adding nothing but confusion.

And (for everyone), if giving it a try: Good luck!

Björn

PS. James, while you are "cleaning up"... you missed (or simply forgot to ask Mr Gil, for the Key's "No expl." entries! There are quite a few of them, like Mathews's; bandi, bebba, bilbali, gangi, gonada, greda, mugga, etc., etc., ... until; zamba. ;)
--

Last edited:
Björn, you must have read my mind. I had pondered the relative lack of Mathews's names (assumed autochthonyms), and this very morning I asked Ferran to provide a list of Key entries with the texts, "No expl." etc. Watch this space.

PS. List of no expl. now received from Ferran - it contains over 200 entries. I thought Mathews would be the main culprit, but Rafinesque 1815 steals the winners prize; most of his names are corruptive, based on earlier authors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back