• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Honey Buzzards (1 Viewer)

Leakey

Did try uploading photos but wont work. Just wanted to ask without naming places. Have people noticed an increase in Honey Buzzards this year?
On holidays in North Wales and have already seen four different birds at different places.
Friends tell me that also in South Wales there are many more than has been the case in recent years.
Hopefully it is the same around the country

I would be circumspect with these extra-limital records - Common Buzzard is probably the most mis-identified large bird in the UK. Most birders i know don’t even try to age them...

Laurie:t:

I would go as far as to say that if you're not sure if it's a honey buzzard, it isn't one.

If you think it might be one, it probably isn't.

I'll be off again next month to a place where they outnumber the common variety by over a hundred to one. :)

Attachments

• Honey-Buzzard-(17)-Sierra-de-la-Plata-fbook.jpg
    Honey-Buzzard-(17)-Sierra-de-la-Plata-fbook.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Honey-Buzzard-(33)-Punta-Carnero--fbook.jpg
    Honey-Buzzard-(33)-Punta-Carnero--fbook.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 190
  • Honey-Buzzard-(48)-Punta-Carnero-fbook.jpg
    Honey-Buzzard-(48)-Punta-Carnero-fbook.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Honey-Buzzard-(55)-fbook.jpg
    Honey-Buzzard-(55)-fbook.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 163
  • Honey-Buzzard-(140)-Cascabel-fbook.jpg
    Honey-Buzzard-(140)-Cascabel-fbook.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 88
I'll be off again next month to a place where they outnumber the common variety by over a hundred to one. :)

That's Northumberland, isn't it? 3:)

If the OP is having trouble uploading pictures, he probably needs to resize them to what BF allows: 1200 pixels longest side is ideal at least for my monitor.

It would be nice to be able to offer a definite opinion on them, though we all know there are an awful lot of Buzzards in Wales.....

John

I would go as far as to say that if you're not sure if it's a honey buzzard, it isn't one.

I don't think it's that easy. It depends on the distance, duration of the observation, experience of the observer, and other environmental factors. Of course, that includes location.

I agree:t:

Nice shots - where are you off to?

I am returning to Batumi in mid-Sept, had a great time in a very welcoming country last year...

Laurie -

Not as good as Batumi, I'm afraid, but good enough. Strait of Gibraltar.

Been going since 2001 in autumn, with a couple of spring trips thrown in for good measure.

I have done 5 consecutive Septembers to the Straits spending a week mooching as far as Cadiz, Seville, Jerez, Bolonia and Ronda with a week just based at Tarifa walking out to the adjaceant hills. We decided to have a break llast September with a couple of weeks in Georgia including 10 days at Batumi. Enjoyed it so much we go again with Wizz Air:t:

Good birding -

Laurie -

Thanks. It's become a regular event. We stay for three weeks in a farmhouse 10 minutes from the Algarrobo watchpoint. Depending on the wind, we'll go there or Cazalla, but if the conditions aren't right I'm flexible - La Janda, Bonanza, Serrania de Ronda, anywhere that takes my fancy.

A drawing I did last autumn. A short-toed eagle taking leave of the Spanish coast at Punta Comorro with the Moroccan Coast and Jebel Musa in the distance.

Attachments

• 018-STE-14-14-Hours-bforumjul19.jpg
    018-STE-14-14-Hours-bforumjul19.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 97
If you know the right places in UK they are here. As for id them I actually find them quiet easy. Major differences in shape from Common Buzzard tbh.
Just seems quite a few more around Wales

Yep they are Honeys😆 Very nice phots

I don't think it's that easy. It depends on the distance, duration of the observation, experience of the observer, and other environmental factors. Of course, that includes location.

In the Uk there are fewer raptors to confuse them with. Lucky enough to know for some regularish sites.

Do please enlighten as to the areas, in Wales, where you are seeing the local ‘hotspot’ Honeys - you don’t have to be site specific just 10k x 10k plots will do as the are easy to ID even at distance.....

Do please enlighten as to the areas, in Wales, where you are seeing the local ‘hotspot’ Honeys - you don’t have to be site specific just 10k x 10k plots will do as the are easy to ID even at distance.....

Even at 10 x 10 km squares, the locations are confidential. BTO map them by 50 x 50 km squares.

I'd still like to see the photos: uploading isn't really all that difficult, nor is resizing to enable it. Then we might have something to discuss.

John

Not as good as Batumi, I'm afraid, but good enough. Strait of Gibraltar.

Been going since 2001 in autumn, with a couple of spring trips thrown in for good measure.

Hope to see you there! With regard to HB identification, I can think of few species where a little experience makes so much difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back