• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moths, January 2009 (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
This may be a short thread but if you do come across anything during the month, this is the place for it.

My mothing year got off to a flying start with a lifer in the shape of this cracking Mottled Umber that flew to the kitchen window last night.

Extraordinary that with IRO 570 species on the garden list the first one of the year should be a new addition. Hopefully the sign of a better year to come - I more or less gave up with trapping last year due to the poor weather conditions. In contrast I had my best ever year of local birding, partly down to using the early morning for the birds rather than the moths.

Attachments

• mottled_umber_8jan09_800l_20.jpg
    mottled_umber_8jan09_800l_20.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 121
Another January moth, this time perhaps emerged indoors. Any ideas (FW=12mm)?

Attachments

• pyralid_10jan09_800l_20.jpg
    pyralid_10jan09_800l_20.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Hi Brian,

First puzzler of the year! Is it one of the 'elongated' torts do you think? A poorly marked Tortricodes alternella or Exapata congelatella perhaps - both are winter fliers according to UKMoths.

David

Had confirmation back from the CR over the weekend and this is the Mediterranean Flour Moth (E. kuehniella), a first for VC31.

Probably won't last. Third moth of the year was a White-shouldered House Moth -emerged indoors and attracted to wine glass!.

Haven't had the trap on this month, but this Pale Brindled Beauty came to door window on the 12th. Opened the door to have a closer look and it disappeared. Closed the door and it was fluttering in the house. Photo taken when it was resting on ceiling.

Attachments

• pbb.jpg
    pbb.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 125
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back