• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about monopods ? (1 Viewer)

Simmo1111

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a teleconverter for my FZ28 which obviously is far better for closer shots but now I have the problem of stability.

As a newcomer to photography I was just wondering about using a monopod ?

I am usually on the move through woodland etc etc and was wondering how I actually use the monopod when on the move. Is it possible to get some kind of a quick attach/release setup or do I just hope that my subject sits patiently while I screw the pod onto the camera ?? Alternatively of course I can leave the camera and the pod together and carry it 'ready to shoot' as it were. Problem there though is that I have my bins around my neck, a rucksack on my back and the camera slung over my shoulder. I,m kind guessing that I will end up in a tangle !!

Any advice would be very welcome (also any advice would be good on the type of monopod I would need if there are different kinds)

Thanks very much guys

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a teleconverter for my FZ28 which obviously is far better for closer shots but now I have the problem of stability.

As a newcomer to photography I was just wondering about using a monopod ?

I am usually on the move through woodland etc etc and was wondering how I actually use the monopod when on the move. Is it possible to get some kind of a quick attach/release setup or do I just hope that my subject sits patiently while I screw the pod onto the camera ?? Alternatively of course I can leave the camera and the pod together and carry it 'ready to shoot' as it were. Problem there though is that I have my bins around my neck, a rucksack on my back and the camera slung over my shoulder. I,m kind guessing that I will end up in a tangle !!

Any advice would be very welcome (also any advice would be good on the type of monopod I would need if there are different kinds)

Thanks very much guys

Dave, Go for a Monopod with a quick release head (I use a Slik trigger grip head with quick release on a Giottos Monopod) Personally I keep the camera mounted on the monopod (closed up of course) and creep about quietly and once i spot something just quietly extend monopod and fire away!.
Cheers
Brian
ps make sure you get a lightweight Monopod Carbon if possible if not Alloy's fine

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back