• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help! Manfrotto 128RC threads worn out.. (1 Viewer)

buzzard12

Threads have gone on the attachment to the scope on my Manfrotto 128RC, anyone know if I can buy this part anywhere, the thoughts of welding this to my Leica Televid are starting to hurt...

Attachments

• Tripod attachment.jpg
    Tripod attachment.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 154
Threads have gone on the attachment to the scope on my Manfrotto 128RC, anyone know if I can buy this part anywhere, the thoughts of welding this to my Leica Televid are starting to hurt...
Just a couple of thoughts on this old thread:
- How do you wear out the thread on an adapter plate? I would have thought that it would generally be left on the equipment and rarely removed. If the screw thread is damaged then the scope thread might be too.
- Why are these plates so expensive? It seems like no one sells anything but genuine Manfrotto ones. Things like lens adapter rings used to be sold for ridiculous prices, but are now available cheaply from China on eBay. Why not things so simple to make like QR plates?
- I repaired one of mine. It came with a second hand head I bought, with the screw missing. I glued a wing nut onto a 1/4" bolt and filed it till it fitted, then fitted a circlip to hold it in.
- Another option is to just use a 1/4" bolt and washer. If you aren't removing it often then you can do it up with a screwdriver, you don't need the finger grip or retaining clip.

They sell them at Naturbokhandeln, if you want to order from Sweden... costs 130 SEK there.

http://www.naturbokhandeln.se/artikelruta.asp?artnr=1379

They don't seem to have an English version of their homepage, but I'm sure they'll help if you contact them. :)

http://www.naturbokhandeln.se/

Otherwise you might want to try Gunnar Olsson Foto in Stockholm, at Hornsgatan 91, it's a great store with a lot of stuff. I got my 128RC from there, so they might have replacement parts.

Last edited:
I don't get how the threads wear out on a quick release plate either as the idea is to leave it on your scope (etc) and forget it. Be that as it may you've got worn threads. You can simply use a 1/4-20 flathead screw in lieu of the thumbscrew retained by a circlip. Leave it attached and you'll never know the difference.

This is an old thread and we can suppose you've found a solution. If you continue to remove and re-attach the QR plate, you should be far more concerned about wear and tear on your expensive scope.

Last edited:
I don't get how the threads wear out on a quick release plate either as the idea is to leave it on your scope (etc) and forget it.
I have been thinking about this since I queried how it happened. Perhaps the original poster has been continually re-tightening it to prevent the scope from twisting on the plate. I recently made an anti twist pin to fit one of the extra holes in the plate. I'd never realised what they were for till now.

I'm also thinking of removing the rubber from either the bottom of the scope or the top of the plate, or maybe both. It looks to me like this is where most of the movement is coming from when the scope shakes. I doubt they're needed when you have the extra pin.

Perhaps the original poster has been continually re-tightening it to prevent the scope from twisting on the plate. I recently made an anti twist pin to fit one of the extra holes in the plate. I'd never realised what they were for till now.

These plates come with the anti-twist pin, and in his photo the pin screw is visible so there should be little or no twisting. Yours may have been lost somehow. Excuse this if it's obvious, but it is important to back the pin screw out before tightening the thumbscrew fully, then tighten the pin screw down. This prevents an over extended pin screw from allowing the plate to fully seat against the base of the scope.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back