• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shipping expensive lenses overseas (1 Viewer)

Nick Leech

United Kingdom
Looking into buying or selling lenses overseas. As regards insurance for shipments by a courier, I have found that nearly every courier says that:

"items made of glass, or containing glass" are excluded from insurance cover - you ship at your own risk.

Clearly, a lens would not be covered!

What is the experience of other BF members on this?

Have people found couriers with reasonable prices for overseas shipments that have insurance that will cover a large lens?

I've shipped Binoculars & scopes using international signed for postage with Royal Mail. Once a scope went to Italy and was damaged on arrival and they paid out after goingvthrough the proceedures. If you packnit really really well there shouldn't be a problem. I've also sent a camera lens to Austria this way and that was fine. Hope this is of help to you.
Chris

An old mate of mine used to sell antique glassware all over the world via the net. The key was packing it well. He used to put the item in a box surrounded with polystyrene chippings tightly packed. He then put the box into a bigger box and filled the void with more polystyrene bits. This seemed to work. Maybe a bit over the top for bins/scope/camera lens but the technique may be useful.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back