• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

H2O 8x25 (1 Viewer)

Aquaman

Dilettante
I have several binoculars already - Nikon Action VII 8x40 and Aculon A211 7x35 porros, and Tasco 10x22 roofies. Prefer the 7x35's for the minimal shake and clarity but the 8x40's are quite good, especially on a tripod. The Tasco's are pretty good for the size, but the 10x was ruining the view - too narrow and shaky, especially given their use as a pair to carry when climbing hills and otherwise elevating the heartbeat.

So I did a lot of research looking for a compact with a lower mag. Tried out what I could find locally. The Leupold 6x30 Yosemite's were great optically but the eyecups were shoddy loose and the focus knob was tight and yet somehow easy to overshoot focus on the demo model, so I passed. The Steiner Champs (10x) were very comfortable but the FOV was too narrow, and given I was looking for a wide FOV compact they were off the table. The 8x might have swayed me but weren't available locally. Looked through a number of 8x and 10x30-32 Vortex, Nikon, Redfield, etc. for a kind of sanity check, and found that the Bushnell H2O series 8x25 compacts had solid twist-up eyecups, wide FOV (comparatively), sharp at distance, comfortable view and eye relief, easy focus, and the compact size and weight I was looking for.

Comments welcome, positive or negative.

The eye cups could be more comfortable, more like the Steiners, but I think I can fix that with some neoprene. After an opening weekend fishing retreat in extreme northern Minnesota (near Ely) I found myself very impressed with the clarity and pocketability. A gray jay on a distant spruce was surprisingly far away when I lowered the glasses. The FOV made finding the bird fairly easy.

My 7x35 porros easily trumped the 8x25's in FOV and comfort to the point where the size and weight difference becomes irrelevant. I'll happily find space for the Aculons on any hike, but won't feel like I'm missing anything if I only bring the Bushnell 8x25's. The Bushnell's fit in most of my shirt pockets, whereas I'd have to carry one of my porros in my shoulder bag - a wash in my opinion, practically speaking. I am so impressed by the image quality of the Bushnell's they will likely be my constant urban hike/bike companions.

I don't think the H2O 8x25's have any phase coating. There is a certain amount of veiling glare at times, mostly seen when first raising the glasses to the eyes. I find I need to shield the eyecups with my hands if there is any significant source of light to the side, such as the sun in early morning or late afternoon. Again, some neoprene eye shields are in order.

The fact that the H2O 8x25's were quite a bit cheaper than all the other new binoculars I compared them to is simply cake. I won't knock the others, just to say I was surprised how little (or nothing) there seemed to be gained by larger, more expensive roof prism designs. I certainly couldn't see replacing my porros with anything I viewed.

TL: DR - Bushnell H2O series 8x25 compact binoculars are quite good. Not "good for the price" or "good for the size" but "flat-out good." Probably not phase-coated, but I couldn't find any phase-coated with similar FOV and they weren't noticeably different daytime than my porros other than FOV, so it's probably moot at this size.

Last edited:
Aquaman, that must be very good sample of H20..

My experience tends toward the negative though..

Optically :
quite alot of aberrations, even on axis.. I did star test and never got pinpoint star image.. My WO 8x25 performed alot better.
Other aspects include dim image, and strong yellow tint.

Mechanically:
This is the most disappointing.. Optically even though far from perfect.. It was still usable at least on day light. The mechanical problems made this bino useless.

Diopter knob.. I have to turn it way to left and I felt a little more left would be perfect.. But that was max left. Normally I set my diopter around zero/centre.

Focus knob.. Hard to turn.. Alot of play and with inconsistant resistance. After few days of usage.. Became much harder to turn until it wont turned anymore. It broke.. The focuser shaft made from plastic and it snapped.

Rubber armor.. peeled off easliy. "Minimalistic" approach of applied glue..

Inner tube.. "Flooded" with grease/oil, luckily enough they didnt get to lens element..

I got the bad sample.. Try and inspect before you buy

Best Regards

I think it is pretty clear you never handled much less owned the binoculars in question. Back in October you felt compelled to contest my recommendation of the 8x25 H2O's, now you feel compelled to fabricate another negative post regarding a binocular I've now used and enjoyed for most of a year. Your "reply" comes 7 months after my original post.

You are certainly free to have your own opinions, but I find it telling that almost two months ago you claimed you tried out the 8x25 H2O Bushnells and found them to be grossly inferior, suggesting a person buying ought to try before purchase. Just as I recommend in my own posts. Now you claim to have both purchased them and broke them in the span of two months. And again admonish others to "try before you buy."

Are we to believe you actually purchased the pair you tried out and found to be shoddy back in October? And then promptly broke them?

I think it is apparent you are neg-posting simply to support your own ignorant prejudices. Clearly you've never handled the binoculars in question, and I doubt you have ANY experience with any Bushnell product.

Last edited:
Hi Aquaman..

Im sorry if I offended you personally.. But nothing personal here, not to challenge you or something.. It is what it is..

About the second post.. It didnt relate the 7 months old of your post.. I just found another H2O review and I want write my newest more recent experience.. It just as simple as that.

You reviewed it two times.. Same with me.. Is it a problem?
You have a good review, i have the bad ones.

If there any I am to offend (or "criticize" is actually more appropriate terms).. Its Bushnell.. Not you.. This forum is the best place to share our thoughts. And I am a disappointed consumer. It is what it is.

AGAIN, i have to make it clear.. Im cool with you Aquaman.. Im NOT cool with my Bushnell.. Please dont take it more than that.

And you said, I have never actually purchased or ignorant prejudice or else.. Do you have strong basis to make this claim? Im sorry, but that was not a nice statement. To my standard it was harsh.

Sometimes if we think something or feel something, does the truth always follow it as well? Are there any, any possibilities that you might got it wrong? ;)

Here's the thing - you could have started a new thread to grind your Bushnell axe. Instead you attached your nonsense to my posts.

It is obvious to anyone reading that you never owned a pair of Bushnell 8x25 H2O compact roofs. You don't like Bushnell for some reason, who cares why. But when you attach your anti-Bushnell rants to my posts you are in effect calling me a liar. I take issue with that behavior.

I don't care why you don't like Bushnell as a company, but keep me out of your irrational campaign. You and I both know you never had Bushnell binoculars, much less a pair of 8x25 H2O's that broke. That is something you made up for reasons I don't care to investigate.

If you want to continue your anti-Bushnell rants, do it in your own posts, don't hang them on mine.

Hi Aquaman..

Starting new thread, it can be done of course. But it might be better for readers to get various information than to search it in multiple thread. Or is it a new rule here, that we have to make a new thread rather to fill the existing thread?

Have read your response, its pointless to me to argue with you, further more thats not bring anything good to the readers of this forum.

I have made my review, I've made my explanation for what I thought might be just a misunderstanding.. But there you go... You have your own thoughts. I can't do anything about that can I ? :)

Okay then..
Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back