• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED 50 Disaster (1 Viewer)

Hi Chris, Sorry for your 50ED problem!! Looks like glue or whatever holds these together. What is the chance of a picture of the other piece like these two excellent images?

Oh wait on the second picture on the upper right hand there is what looks like where a screw goes into to help hold this together.
Regards,Steve

Hi Steve,
I don't think it is glued but not too sure. Here are a couple of pictures of the EP end.

Attachments

• ed50-5.jpg
    ed50-5.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 357
  • ed50-6.jpg
    ed50-6.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 452
are those screw slots or just guides to line up the two halfs which are then glued. If these are screw guides then you would have the screws sheared off in the guides. To cause this surely it would need to be clamped and twisted???

Must be glue mustnt it?? How tight was the eye peice???

Hi Chris, Thanks for adding these eyepiece side pictures, it looks to me like the screw mounts came loose/broke free to me and there is an o-ring seal? I am just guessing from you pictures, if you lived closer you could use my 60mm Fieldscope.;) I couldn't even send it to you for free. Well I posted after Mark F.;) The eyepiece is still mounted in that end, was it never removed after you bought it off them including now, why would they tighten the eyepiece so much?
Regards,Steve

Last edited:
Makes me glad I've wrapped mine up like a mummy with a few layers of camo tape!

Attachments

• IMG_3229 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_3229 (800x600).jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 387
Thanks for the photos.

I wonder if a previous drop cracked the screw mounts then the torque from removing the EP sheared the screw mounts. I guess that could have happened any time after manufacture.

The view into the EP section looks like the edge of the housing is cracked and missing a piece?

Hi Chris,

Looking at your excellent photo's of the internal fixings ect was a shock. Not what I'd call good quality, more a bit of a mess. I hope you get it sorted free of charge. To be honest I'd ask for a replacement or my money back.

ATB, Neil.

I wonder if a previous drop cracked the screw mounts then the torque from removing the EP sheared the screw mounts. I guess that could have happened any time after manufacture.

The view into the EP section looks like the edge of the housing is cracked and missing a piece?
That's what it looks like to me. It does look as if it has been dropped or knocked at some stage in its life, which cracked the screw mounts, and the act of unscrewing the eyepiece caused it to fall apart. I would be straight back to Kay Optical to see what they say.

My eyepieces don't need tightening too hard. They compress the rubber seal and then come to a definite stop.

Ron

Last edited:
Looking at your excellent photo's of the internal fixings ect was a shock. Not what I'd call good quality, more a bit of a mess.

:-O How do you come to that conclusion? Other than the housing being in two pieces, what are you seeing that depicts low quality? I suspect that most any scope that gets opened up will have sealants and adhesives visible, collimation screws, and so on.

I think the view speaks volumes, and it's a high quality view. As for the damage, I'm in the camp thinking there was serious damage done prior to this scope. I'm not worried about mine anyway.

Cheers,
Kevin

Last edited:
Hi Chris, Any news on the outcome.

Thanks for all your interest! I heard this morning from Kay Optical - they sent it away as a warranty claim to Nikon. Nikon have rejected the claim and quoted me £106.65 for the repair - which is cheaper than buying a new scope!

I don't know if the scope was damaged when we bought it, it did not look damaged - we have not dropped or damaged it, but of course I have no way of proving that.

We have missed the scope, albeit our ventures out have been fewer over the past couple of weeks because of the weather. Whilst it would have been a nice gesture for Nikon to have repaired the scope FOC, we live in a commercial world and the repair cost seems reasonable to me so our priority now is to get our repaired scope back.

Cheers,

Chris

Whilst it would have been a nice gesture for Nikon to have repaired the scope FOC, we live in a commercial world and the repair cost seems reasonable...

Ah, but here in the USA consumers demand both low prices and good warrantees, so Nikon gear costs significantly less than in Europe in the first place, and we can have anything repaired for $20 postage, even if not the original owner. It's amazing to me that in this commercially/electronically interconnected world that such large differences in policy/practice exist, and even within the same company!

--AP

Ah, but here in the USA consumers demand both low prices and good warrantees, so Nikon gear costs significantly less than in Europe in the first place, and we can have anything repaired for $20 postage, even if not the original owner. It's amazing to me that in this commercially/electronically interconnected world that such large differences in policy/practice exist, and even within the same company!

--AP

Hi AP It appears that here in rip off Britain we subsidize the rest of the worlds warranties.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your interest! I heard this morning from Kay Optical - they sent it away as a warranty claim to Nikon. Nikon have rejected the claim and quoted me £106.65 for the repair - which is cheaper than buying a new scope!

As you bought it only 5 months ago from Kay Optical, I would be asking them to pay the repair. Regardless of whether there was a warranty, you have a reasonable expectancy that an item is not going to simply split in half in such a short time.

Sorry to hear that. I´m a big Nikon fan, but I reckon they´ve done themselves an injustice, the hundred quid they´ll get from the repair is a paltry sum for the amount of negative advertising they´re going to get even from this thread, not to mind word of mouth to your mates, etc. If I were Mr. Nikon I´d have given you the benefit of the doubt and repaired it for free. The positive experiences I´ve had with Swaro and Opticron service, for example, make me commend them here on BF, and return to them as a customer.

Sorry to hear that. I´m a big Nikon fan, but I reckon they´ve done themselves an injustice, the hundred quid they´ll get from the repair is a paltry sum for the amount of negative advertising they´re going to get even from this thread, not to mind word of mouth to your mates, etc. If I were Mr. Nikon I´d have given you the benefit of the doubt and repaired it for free. The positive experiences I´ve had with Swaro and Opticron service, for example, make me commend them here on BF, and return to them as a customer.
I couldn't agree more Sancho. I am very fond of my ED50 but if I was buying again I would be taking a long hard look at the Opticron GS 52 GA ED scope. Opticron seems to be a company which takes customer satisfaction extremely seriously.

Ron

I recently posted a similar story - I dropped my ED50 (which was in a stay on case), and it broke in exactly the same way at the angle. I wasnt impressed; it only dropped from waist level and had a stay on case for some protection. When it was in two bits it looked pretty flimsy, it had broken at the plastic screw points which just didn't look substantial enough. Scopes should be able to take a little bashing around, who hasn't dropped or knocked theirs?
To cut a long story short - it went off to Nikon for 'assessment' and they wanted to charge about £120 to repair. I said 'no thanks' and got to work with super glue and some very thick tape which was bound around until the two sections couldnt move apart. Basically if the internal mechanism isnt damaged its just a case of sticking the body back together.
It's now working perfectly and as its back in its case you'd never know any different! :t:

Nikon should have no fault warranty. You can send it in for service with small charge. I think it is the first time I have heard the spotting scope was splitted into two, especially from a reputable company.

Great fix, Vespa!
Only loss is the Nitrogen filling/internal fog proofing. Probably irrelevant 99% of the time.
I have an ED 50 and will use your fix in a heartbeat if it is ever needed. Thanks!

I had purchased one of these scopes a few months ago but returned it quickly despite the rave reviews it had of the optical quality. I just did not feel comfortable after I had seen the "plastic" body. I am not sure if being plastic had anything to do with the failure of this scope but Nikon wanting to charge to fix it, considering there was no external evidence of any kind of damage by dropping, is really hard to understand. I argree the negative publicity associated with the pictures and knowing you had to pay to fix it is way worse than the cost to fix an isolated scope or two that fails in this manner, even if it was dropped.

Count me among those who have now moved Nikon down on my list of possible companies to buy from when I am looking to make my next optical purchase. That is even considering I live in the USA where the warranty is supposedly better.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back