• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recent sketches (1 Viewer)

Had a chance, finally, to study all Russ.

Simply overwhelmed with the artistry in sketch-capture of all. Truly inspiring to me. So honest and possessing such truthful skills! Like always!:t:B :)

There is a case for where do you lose your forte...the line-strength in the sketches, when adapted to illustrations? This is difficult, because it is personal to you, yourself.
Your strength is in the "bold-capture strokes/lines" that you do with such enviable alacrity.

My advice is to f*ck a desire to change, to "fit in" with what you think might be expected of you. And add washes to "traces" or "light-box tracings" of your visceral original sketches.

DO NOT use your original field sketches for this experiment!
Do NOT feel pressure. Because it will come to you in the end. And then you will know it in your heart!

You will get to a happy compromise in the end.

In the meantime, I had to work out of my box today. The result was for a b+w illo. I used black as a varying wash on pencil sketchings. Then added embellishments with crayon/wcp. Not happy, and still learning still. But the Avon Bird Report has filled a half page on a Severn Wader paper...;)

Attachments

• rps severnside.jpg
    rps severnside.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 50
And add washes to "traces" or "light-box tracings" of your visceral original sketches.

thirded: sploosh da sketch

if necessary, photocopy an original and stick it onto a bit of board - I've been playing around with ultra wet paint puddled on canvas board lately, so that way there's none of that ?do I need to stretch it first? will it cockle? malarkey

I suppose the appropriate alternative is to now wear one saying 'Sketch fast and loose!'

Go back and forth as it suits you. My experience, which tends more towards the fast and loose, is that sometimes you feel like you've gotten adrift and need to slow down and really work to get down what you see in all its detail. But I can't stand that for long so I go back to fast and loose, but now informed by a little bit more experience with detail. Personally I really find this the best way to work.

But whatever the method these works are really improving. I think that all your hard work has paid off and now it's showing up in more fluid and lively works. 'Don't worry, just sketch' to quote another tee-shirt.

Many thanks for your comments re the illustrations, people. I'm currently in the process of messing around with photocopies of some of these b and w's with the view of giving them the felt tip treatment. It seems, once again, that it is very easy to overdo things. It's strange how the added line in TW's 'Sharpie.... ' thread does not in any way, shape or form diminish the work but simply gives it another quality.

Back to what I usually do. Oh, the diversity of the art forum! To go with lovely exotics masterly illustrated in beautiful colour here's something completely different - coots and lesser black-back gulls! What finer creatures on God's earth are more suited to the humble pencil?
With things picking up on the migration front I promise more 'interesting' fare very soon but you'll have to make do with these for the time being.
Lbbg's have bred at Old Moor for the first time so this pair were very accommodating, and have recieved the 'Lars' treatment on several occassions - by this I mean big and well, erm....

Attachments

• 22 August 2011 1.jpg
    22 August 2011 1.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 22 August 2011 (2).jpg
    22 August 2011 (2).jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 22 August 2011 (3).jpg
    22 August 2011 (3).jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 22 August 2011 (4).jpg
    22 August 2011 (4).jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 22 August 2011 (5).jpg
    22 August 2011 (5).jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 35
Lbbg's - still giving me the same old problems with eye/bill placement and head shape and still the reason I keep going back to them....

Your comments are, as ever, wholly appreciated

Russ

Attachments

• 22 August 2011 (6).jpg
    22 August 2011 (6).jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 22 August 2011 (7).jpg
    22 August 2011 (7).jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 22 August 2011 (8).jpg
    22 August 2011 (8).jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 22 August 2011 (9).jpg
    22 August 2011 (9).jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 22 August 2011 (10).jpg
    22 August 2011 (10).jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 34
The coot poses you've captured are excellent, Russ! And the LBBG's look fine to me, though I must confess they are not a local species in my neck of the woods.

The coot poses you've captured are excellent, Russ! And the LBBG's look fine to me, though I must confess they are not a local species in my neck of the woods.

Have to agree with John and Tim. If there's anything amiss with the LBBGs it's news to me. And that preening coot is a treat.

These latest sketches are simply astonishing Russ!

Forget trying to move on to colour or wash work? Your strength lies here. It is what you are comfortable with, and it is what everyone loves you for.

So, why change what you truly are?

Remain as you are... A Great Sketcher of Birds!

Simply Russ-Tastic!!!!:t:B :)o:D

Many thanks, guys. Phil, your comments are most inspiring although I'm rather embarrased by them, mate!

Sketches of an adult dunlin which graced my local res. a few weeks ago. I'm currently concentrating on waders and striving to keep things loose and not over analyse things. For the life of me I still struggle with leg placement, and the longer and quicker moving the bird more difficult it is! I now often resort to sticking them on from memory or guessing, but often this takes something away from the sketch. Im curently seeing waders in a new light, courtesy of Juan Varela's, which have very recently left me aghast!

Attachments

• 31 August 2011 1.jpg
    31 August 2011 1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 31 August 2011 (2).jpg
    31 August 2011 (2).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 31 August 2011 (3).jpg
    31 August 2011 (3).jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 31 August 2011 (4).jpg
    31 August 2011 (4).jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 31 August 2011 (5).jpg
    31 August 2011 (5).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 33
A few more....

Attachments

• 31 August 2011 (6).jpg
    31 August 2011 (6).jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 31 August 2011 (7).jpg
    31 August 2011 (7).jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 31 August 2011 (8).jpg
    31 August 2011 (8).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 31 August 2011 (9).jpg
    31 August 2011 (9).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 35
Five more b and w's for illustrations: Ring-necked Duck, Lapwing, Grey Wag, Lesser Black-back Gull and Grey Heron. I'm fairly pleased with some of the tonal work but the vegetation under the gull is sxxxte! I still approach this kind of work with trepidation, though It's taken me nearly three weeks to do just these five. I need to get my finger out and splash around a lot more.

Cheers

Russ

Attachments

• Ring-necked Duck.jpg
    Ring-necked Duck.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Lapwing.jpg
    Lapwing.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 41
  • Grey Wag.jpg
    Grey Wag.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Lbbg.jpg
    Lbbg.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Heron.jpg
    Heron.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 40
I'm currently concentrating on waders and striving to keep things loose and not over analyse things. For the life of me I still struggle with leg placement, and the longer and quicker moving the bird more difficult it is! I now often resort to sticking them on from memory or guessing, but often this takes something away from the sketch.

These are really animated sketches which capture the character and movement of the bird. I'd suggest you avoid adding legs just to make a more complete picture - be happy with the purer image just showing what you were able to observe and record, and it becomes a reliable reference. It's good to treat field sketching just as an info-gathering and learning exercise, and often one can only capture incomplete elements of the subject - a head, a belly with leg positions, an unusual stance, etc. But these all add to familiarity with the subject and can feed into more complete studies. But for those more difficult wader legs: Plan A - wait until they're asleep, or Plan B - lose them behind stalks of foreground vegetation. ;)

Mike

www.michaelcwood.co.uk

Sage advice, Mike; espcially the standing them behind vegetation (up to their bellies in water is my preferred composition).
These are great Russ - full of originality and of-the-moment. Illustrations are coming along a treat.

On the other hand, if you're Tim Wootton, you can just stand in a field for 10 minutes and rattle off an armful of perfectly observed and entirely complete bird-filled paintings, no prob!

Mike

On the other hand, if you're Tim Wootton, you can just stand in a field for 10 minutes and rattle off an armful of perfectly observed and entirely complete bird-filled paintings, no prob!

Mike

I heard that Tim just does them from the bus now. No need to even get out and go stand in the field.;)

I think these are great Russ. I remember how I struggle with Dunlin everytime I'm lucky enough to be in a place with shorebirds. Everthing about them is just a little clunky, at least in my view. My guess is that the very fact that you know you're uncomfortable with the legs means that you'll start paying more attention to them. It's amazing how much there is to drawing a simple little bird, isn't it!

You're well on your way though. They keep getting better and better.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back