• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATM 80HD + DCA + Canon G7 ? help me out ! (1 Viewer)

hey guys

i just received my ATMn 80HD, i have a Canon G7 on hand, im thinking to get a DCA for digiscoping with canon G7.

im really new to this, and knows nothing , the filter thread for G7 is 58mm, but DCA doest come with a 58mm filter plate. how can i sort out the problem ? or should i use DCB-A or DCB II ? or change another camera? i wanna save money and keep using G7 with DCA. heaps of thanks.

Andy

Hi Andy

If the G7 is like most of the other Canon G series (I have the G10) I`m afraid to say that it probably wont work for digiscoping, irrespective of what adapter you have. The problem being that as you zoom the camera in to reduce vignetting, the lens inside the camera barrel retracts towards the body thus making vignetting worse. Check out previous posts concerning this matter. I believe you can get around this by using a long eye relief eyepiece which of course would be more costly. Neil F knows far more about this than me & may post further suggestions.

Rob.

Hi Andy

If the G7 is like most of the other Canon G series (I have the G10) I`m afraid to say that it probably wont work for digiscoping, irrespective of what adapter you have. The problem being that as you zoom the camera in to reduce vignetting, the lens inside the camera barrel retracts towards the body thus making vignetting worse. Check out previous posts concerning this matter. I believe you can get around this by using a long eye relief eyepiece which of course would be more costly. Neil F knows far more about this than me & may post further suggestions.

Rob.

Rob,
thanks for the answers, im very new and feel a bit confused for those terms. anyway, im working on it. maybe i will use a DCB-A instead. its easier.

Rob,
thanks for the answers, im very new and feel a bit confused for those terms. anyway, im working on it. maybe i will use a DCB-A instead. its easier.

Hi, before deciding on an adapter, you should check if your camera can be used for digiscoping. I also believe the G7 cannot, but best you check this yourself.

Hold you camera close to the eyepiece of the scope and try different distance between lens and eyepiece, at different camera zoom positions. If you manage to get a frame filling image on your camera display, your cam is good for digiscoping. If you are only able to get a small image circle in the middle of a black screen, this means too much vignetting and your cam is not good for digiscoping.

Perhaps you have a simple compact camera as well? Try this one as well, it might be more usable.

Best, Florian

hi Florian,

thank you so much for those wise words, i read them carefully. i may buy another compact digital camera for digiscoping. any suggestions?

Hi, before deciding on an adapter, you should check if your camera can be used for digiscoping. I also believe the G7 cannot, but best you check this yourself.

Hold you camera close to the eyepiece of the scope and try different distance between lens and eyepiece, at different camera zoom positions. If you manage to get a frame filling image on your camera display, your cam is good for digiscoping. If you are only able to get a small image circle in the middle of a black screen, this means too much vignetting and your cam is not good for digiscoping.

Perhaps you have a simple compact camera as well? Try this one as well, it might be more usable.

Best, Florian

thank you for detailed answers, i got this, G7 is not suitable for digiscoping.

Best, Florian

i may buy another compact digital camera for digiscoping. any suggestions?

Hi, I just bought a Canon S95, which works fine. The current models S100 and S110 should also work. But there are may be even better options. If you read the "digiscoping cameras" forum, you'll find a lot of options. The Sony RX100 seems to be the currently favoured model.

Another interesting option, which should work with the ATM, seems to be the new APO-TLS adapter, with a Micro 4/3 camera such as the Lumix G....

I have the Canon S90, which is akin to the S95, 100 and 110, they work... But I recently just bought (haven't used yet) a Nikon P310 which I feel is a great digiscoping camera.... jim

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back