• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Tripod / Head for Opticron HR66? (1 Viewer)

frootz

Hello,

I'm asking for information on which tripod and head to use with the Opticron HR66 scope.

My budget is up to £130 but I'm willing to look at things second hand. I'm interested in keeping the weight down as I won't be doing any digiscoping I'm guessing this might be more possible. As I'm only 5ft 3" it doesn't have to go too high either!

Thanks in advance if you take the time to post!

Emma

Legs: -The Manfrotto 190XB is a popular choice, about £90 new, it's a 3 section aluminium tripod weighing 1.8kg. [Further info here].

-If you feel like you'd want something offering greater rigidity, if you regularly seawatch for example, then the Manfrotto 055XB or Velbon 600R would fit the bill. Inevitably they are larger and heavier.

Head: -Velbon FHD-52Q is probably the best ultra budget fluid head available, under £30, which would keep you on budget and it's light. You may need an adapter as this head has a 1/4" screw fitting for attaching it to the legs, many of which use a 3/8" fitting. They are only a couple of pounds but it's worth checking.

-Manfrotto's 700RC2 is another contender, around £60 new.

Camerapricebuster now has a section covering tripods, which helps compare prices without spending ages searching numerous sites.

All the above are popular items so it's worth doing a forum search as their strengths and weaknesses of each will have been discussed. Being popular they can also be found for sale secondhand on the bay.

Hope that helps.

Many thanks for the detailed response that is very much appreciated. And for the link to the price comparison site - very helpful!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back