• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hoverfly Thread (1 Viewer)

Yes, I would agree with Eupeodes, and they are almost impossible to separate down to species from a photo. They are all quite variable as to the amount and shape of the yellow markings on the tergites. Sorry we can't be more precise.

Hi all,

I wonder if someone could identify this one which was amongst many I did manage to identify in my garden over the weekend? A little out of focus I'm afraid as it disappeared as quickly as it came.

Also perhaps of interest (to me anyway!) was this delightful little Ruby-tailed Wasp, a garden first.

Attachments

• _MG_7005.jpg
    _MG_7005.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 70
  • ruby.jpg
    ruby.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 57
Ferdinandea cuprea (Scopoli, 1763)

there are many species of Chrysis, most very difficult to identify

Many thanks, I thought I'd be able to find it from those distinctive wing markings, I really must invest in the Stubbs book. As for Chrysis this one was smaller and not as bright as ones I've seen previously but as you say, not possible to ID with certainty especially from this photo.

And thanks for your 200th post!

Rhingia rostrata or campestris?

I took the first photo of what I thought to be Rhingia rostrata in the garden on Sunday. I'm familiar with R. campestris having taken hundreds of photos of them in Northern France over several years but the literature I've read suggests rostrata is very difficult to separate. It looked more orange and kept to the shadows hence the flash.

Here's a couple of (almost definite) campestris for comparison.

Attachments

• rostrata.jpg
    rostrata.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Rhingia campestris.jpg
    Rhingia campestris.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 56
  • campestris.jpg
    campestris.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
the second two certainly campestris.

first looks good for rostrata but would want to see specimen or photos from more angles to be sure.

My first go at Hoverflies (4+1)

I have been taking photos of Hoverflies for a while and have the Stubbs and Falk book, but until now I have been remiss in trying to identify them.

So here it goes:

1) Episyrphus balteatus
2) Scaeva pyrastri
3) Sphaerophoria scripta
4) Volucella bombylans
5) Unknown - another Scaeva pyrasrti or Eupeodes corollae (or neither!)

Please feel free to confirm / deny my suggestions, and any pointers in this new area for me would, as always, be most welcome.

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

Attachments

• Episyrphus balteatus.jpg
    Episyrphus balteatus.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Scaeva pyrastri.jpg
    Scaeva pyrastri.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Sphaerophoria scripta.jpg
    Sphaerophoria scripta.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Volucella bombylans.jpg
    Volucella bombylans.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Unknown Hoverfly.jpg
    Unknown Hoverfly.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 65
the second two certainly campestris.

first looks good for rostrata but would want to see specimen or photos from more angles to be sure.

Thanks again Ficedula, great name by the way, very fitting. This is the only other photo I managed and I haven't seen it since. Slightly OOF I'm afraid.

Also a female Xanthogramma pedissequum presumably.

Attachments

• _MG_7667.jpg
    _MG_7667.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 55
  • _MG_7692.jpg
    _MG_7692.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
1) Episyrphus balteatus correct
2) Scaeva pyrastri correct
3) Sphaerophoria sp females not identifiable
4) Volucella bombylans correct
5) Eupeodes corollae looks right

I have just returned from a little holiday in England and there were hoverflies absolutely everywhere. I took over 800 pics of them! :eek!: I know I have got about 15 different species at least. Loads of work to do to classifly all those pictures! :king:

Here I am posting the first set of pictures.

First one I think is Episyrphus balteatus. Hope I got that one right. I found two other similar ones in the same garden. Might be variations or different species. I would be very grateful if somebody can clarify this.

Attachments

• balteatus BF.jpg
    balteatus BF.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 46
  • unknown 1 BF.jpg
    unknown 1 BF.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 49
  • unknown 2 BF.jpg
    unknown 2 BF.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 50
Second go - three for confirmation & 2 for ID

Three for confirmation and two for ID from the last week:

1) Volucella pellucens
2) Eristalis arbustorum
3) Tachina fera (I know I don't think it is a hoverfly!)
4) Unknown - seem to be 2/3 culprits
5) Unknown again (is it IDable?)

I am enjoying the challenge of completely new insect features so any help as always...

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

Attachments

• Volucella pellucens.jpg
    Volucella pellucens.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 62
  • Eristalis arbustorum.jpg
    Eristalis arbustorum.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Tachina fera.jpg
    Tachina fera.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Unknown 1.jpg
    Unknown 1.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Unknown 2.jpg
    Unknown 2.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 55
Hello,

I am really struggling with this one seen at Dawlish Warren on Sunday. My Chinery book is not helping me here so looks like I shall have to get a bigger boat (book).

Help anyone please?

Apologies for the unsharp pictures as I was using a new compact camera in poor light. It is the surprisingly cheap Canon A480 which I love for the 1cm macro function.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Attachments

• HOVERFLY BF 01.jpg
    HOVERFLY BF 01.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 57
  • HOVERFLY BF 02.jpg
    HOVERFLY BF 02.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 58
  • HOVERFLY BF 03.jpg
    HOVERFLY BF 03.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 47
  • HOVERFLY BF 04.jpg
    HOVERFLY BF 04.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 45
All Episyrphus balteatus.

Thanks a lot for your reply, Aeshna! They look so different! But I had a feeling they all might be the same thing.

Here is the second encounter with a hoverfly of my holiday in England. It was in the same garden than the previous ones. I guess it is a Syrphus of some kind. I don't know if those pictures show clearly the ID features. They all show the same specimen. I have pics of other specimens and even a female. But all the others weren't as cooperative as this one. I will post more if that can help to ID.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• Common_banded BF.jpg
    Common_banded BF.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 60
  • lateral BF.jpg
    lateral BF.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 47
  • male CB BF.jpg
    male CB BF.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 48

Users who are viewing this thread