• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leucistic Skylark? Seaforth, Liverpool UK (yesterday) (1 Viewer)

Hi all

This little chap/chapess was active around a lot of other Skylarks, but didn't call or sing and was quite happy in my company - unlike the majority of Skylarks.

Leucistic?

thanks

Attachments

• leutistic-skylark.jpg
    leutistic-skylark.jpg
    796.3 KB · Views: 369
Yeh, thanks it was a charming bird - it was so placid like it didn't mind me poking my zoom lens in its face ha ha

You might like to consider the Code of Conduct in future:

Five things to remember:
•avoid disturbing birds and their habitats – the birds’ interests should always come first
• be an ambassador for birdwatching
• know the law and the rules for visiting the countryside, and follow them
• send your sightings to the County Bird Recorder and record them on www.birdtrack.net
• Think about the interests of wildlife and local people before passing on news of a rare bird, especially during the breeding season.

You might like to consider the Code of Conduct in future:

Five things to remember:
•avoid disturbing birds and their habitats – the birds’ interests should always come first
• be an ambassador for birdwatching
• know the law and the rules for visiting the countryside, and follow them
• send your sightings to the County Bird Recorder and record them on www.birdtrack.net
• Think about the interests of wildlife and local people before passing on news of a rare bird, especially during the breeding season.

To address these five in this case:

- does the Snow Bunting in the photographs look too disturbed? It is feeding in one picture and is often a fairly tame species that reacts little to an observer.
- "be an ambassador" - the poster was out looking for birds and enjoying himself = primary reason to go birding. Do we all need to take on some role as an ambassador all the time?
- has he broken a law or rule? No
- submitting records, no harm doing, but hardly a crime if you don't.
- did this poster pass on news? Besides it is not a very rare bird and it is not the breeding season.

Ritchie, you did nothing wrong, just photographed a bird which is often fairly tame.

Last edited:

- does the Snow Bunting in the photographs look too disturbed? It is feeding in one picture and is often a fairly tame species that reacts little to an observer.
- "be an ambassador" - the poster was out looking for birds and enjoying himself = primary reason to go birding. Do we all need to take on some role as an ambassador all the time?
- did this poster pass on news? Besides it is not a very rare bird and it is not the breeding season.

Ritchie, you did nothing wrong, just photographed a bird which is often fairly tame.

We have accord Jos. :t:

Thanks guys for your messages defending me - even though I'm sure FergusJBend was just acting out of concern.

I didn't actually poke my lens in the bird's face - that was just meant in humour.

Like many of us, I use zoom lenses to photograph birds so I never really get too close to cause the bird/s any distress or disturbance, and when I approach a bird I always do slowly never looking at the bird directly in the eyes, even turning my lens sidewards when need be as to not intimidate or worry the bird.

I always respect the birds and their environment - and I'm always grateful for having the birds and the environments to enjoy.

The place I photographed the bird in is always busy with walkers, cyclists, people with dogs and young children (even boats and water-skiing) so I think (but I don't know) that maybe some birds do grow accustomed to us and our behaviours - to a point, obviously - but regarding all this, I always respect the birds :t:

There really needs to be a like / applaud function on this forum for posts that really nail it :t:

For the OP: Nice find. I'm trying to get to see these guys each winter, but not always successfully. Note the conical bill, shorter than in Skylark, and general appearance, which is fairly typical for a bunting (although perhaps more compact than a Yellowhammer).

There really needs to be a like / applaud function on this forum for posts that really nail it :t:
Other forums have a "thanks" function for individual posts. What this forum really needs, though, is a new set of smilies, IMHO.

Last edited:
Ricjie

Couldn't agree more with others. These cracking little birds are often quite tame and yours certainly does not appear to be stressed. Quite the opposite.

A great find and an excellent Pic.

Thanks guys :t:

And Sangahyando, I can see all the differences now - I feel such a fool ha ha but it was hanging around with the Skylarks, and never having seen one before I just jumped to the wrong conclusion ;)

I've attached a photo here of the 2 side by side.

I did post the Skylark image on the Bird Ringing and Banding forum and received loads of help from members and have since reported its sighting.

But anyway, I'm learning all the time and I can't say it enough but every time I go out and bird watch it gives me so much pleasure |:D|

Attachments

• skylark-and-snow-bunting.jpg
    skylark-and-snow-bunting.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 90
Seaforth was the very first place I ever saw Skylarks as a kid, back in the days before you needed Fort Knox-level clearance to get past the gate. It's an absolute gem of a reserve, and that is a gem of a Snow Bunting.

I wish I could see a snow bunting. Ive never seen one yet
As far as I can see that Snow Bunting in the photo doesn't look stressed in the slightest. In fact if one looks carefully at the photo, one can see a slight smile on its face.

Last edited:
I saw my first Snow Bunting December 2016 when a group of three flew along the beach at Horsey, Norfolk whilst I was eating lunch. The best place in Norfolk is Salthouse beach where a group of 50+ are there every winter.

T...often a fairly tame species that reacts little to an observer...
like this...
mk-sb-1013.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back