• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski SLC 15x56 Review (1 year update) & BTX comparison (1 Viewer)

quincy88

In my original review I concluded with "In my limited experience, these binoculars are without flaw." This is still my opinion. That review can be found here: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=370386

I have owned the SLC 15s for about a year, so I will provide some updated thoughts about them for anyone who cares. After reading my original review, I don't have much to add as far as optical comments, so this update will primarily focus on how I use my 15s, and what optics I use with them.

There are a few things that I said in my review last year that I no longer agree with:

First, I never use the monopod anymore. I bought a tripod and it is far more useful to me than the monopod ever was. I bought the Outdoorsman's tall tripod and pan head. I still use their pistol grip sometimes, which is an awesome little head. I also bought a really compact, collapsible three-legged stool that works great for seated observations.

Second, I still use the SLCs handheld pretty often, but it always supplements my tripod usage. That is to say, I never leave the house with the 15s without a tripod. They are a pleasure to use handheld.

Third, I never use any of the accessories other than the case, so I don't care much about that after all. It is nice when you open the box, and they included a bunch of really high-quality stuff with your purchase, but I just don't use them.

Fourth, I got a doubler, then returned it. It sucked.

Now, onto how I feel about my SLCs now and how I use them:

I have bought a bunch of optics since my last review, so my quiver has been bolstered substantially. The two biggest changes have been the purchase of a BTX 85 and some CL 8x25s.

To answer the obvious question first: I most often leave my house with the SLCs over the BTX. I often supplement the 15s with my Pockets. On a side note, pocket binoculars are totally awesome, and I wish I had gotten a nice pair a long time ago. I can load up a backpack with layers, food, water, first aid, and my 15s. I will strap my tripod and stool to the outside of my pack. Then I will carry my CLs in my breast pocket, or in their case strapped to the waist strap of my backpack. With this setup, I am ready for anything. I have used it for birding and hunting to great effect. I have run a couple of miles at a time with this. I have hiked up to the top of mountains with this. By far the best balance between adventurousness and observation capability that I have figured out so far. This setup is possible because of how compact the SLCs are. And, I get it, the spotting scope is big and there is no way around that, especially considering that I got the one with a behemoth of an eyepiece. I don't fault the BTX for that, I am just saying that the SLCs are used more often than the BTX in part because of the difference in size.

As far as the optics go, the BTX and the SLCs offer a surprisingly similar view in all but the magnification. The colors are similar. The apparent field of view is similar. The sharpness of the field is similar. I really think of the BTX as double the SLCs. Having said that, the difference in magnification makes them completely different tools, but the quality of the view is very similar in both.

The BTX is simply stunning to look through, and it is hard for me to wrap my head around how it is so good while providing that much magnification.

After I got the BTX I was afraid that it would make the SLCs obsolete, and I felt a bit of buyers remorse. In reality, though, the BTX compliments the SLCs rather than competing with them. Sure, I often choose one or the other when I am gearing up, but the experiences that I have with each of them is unique. For instance, if it is spring migration, and I am wholly focused on slow, deliberate, careful birding where I want to get as many species as possible, then I will go with the BTX and my Ultravid 7s. The 30x magnification really does provide some spectacularly intimate views of our feathered brethren and allows for the resolution to identify that hawk in the tree 3/4 of a mile out.

Most of this has more to do with comparing big binoculars to a big scope than it has to do with the choice of binoculars or scope. So, let me reiterate what I said in my first review; the SLCs are a very good choice and are the smallest 15s that you can get. They are really bright, have great colors with minimal chromatic aberration, and a competitive field of view. In the last review I concluded by saying they were without flaw, which after a year of use I cannot dispute. What I would add to that is that beyond being flawless optically and physically, they are an eminently useful optic that I have found to be really versatile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting. I have been contemplating the BTX/85 vs SLC 15x56 for a while and can't decide. Can I ask what range do you find the BTX combo useful ? I am wondering how useful the BTX would be for small birds etc say < 50m ? and then for the raptors/kites etc out to say 200-300m ? I currently use 8x32 FP which are great but would like more magnification. I even use the 8x32 on a tripod which makes a huge difference in terms of resolving details and comfort for extended viewing. I wear glasses so the shorter eye relief on the SLC's isn't ideal but when mounted I could get away without glasses I think. The 8x32/15x56 combo + tripod seems like a stellar combo for general birding. Decisions decisions. I used to own the 8x25 and agree they are fantastic. I ended up buying the 8x32. I typically walk 3-4km when birding so I am also wondering just how easy it is to carry the BTX/85 ? can it be carried mounted on a tripod ? I use the Swaroski CT travel tripod.

Any advice much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi dmcharg,

All good questions and I am happy to answer them.

I have used the btx all the way from a few meters out to a couple kilometers and beyond. It does work well for little passerines in close, and it is really fun checking out all the nuances of their plumage that you can see. I have watched and photographed warblers with my btx as close as maybe 6 meters. Also, the btx will really excel watching raptors at a great distance. The field of view is big enough to where observing them on the wing is totally possible. The lesson I learned is don’t skimp on your tripod head. The btx is back heavy and becomes a lot more wieldy with a stout head.

I think either the btx or the 15s would make a killer combo with your 32s.

I agree that even low magnification benefits greatly from a tripod. I use my 7s on a tripod occasionally, and am always impressed by what I can see.

I don’t wear glasses, but I do use the 15s with their eyepieces all the way out. I bet the eye relief would not be too problematic for you. Maybe someone else who wears glasses and has experience with the 15s can chime in.

You can carry the btx on a tripod. I have done it several times on trips in the 3km-4km range. Again, a stout head makes a big difference. As far as whether it’s easy, i can say that as a 31 year old man in relative fitness I do not have any problems with it whatsoever.

The SLC 15x56 works well with my close fitting glasses. When I owned the EL SV 8x32 I used the eyecups in their first position out with these same glasses. I hope this will give you an idea of the eye relief of the SLC. Best to try them for yourself of course.

One important question is how much weight and bulk you are willing to carry. I use the SLC with a lightweight tripod and very small ballhead and when possible I sit down so as to avoid extending the legs too much.

George

I'd echo the comments about a sturdy tripod for the BTX. Vibration can really kill the quality of the view. I use a larger carbon fiber tripod and leveling base (Really Right Stuff) for my BTX 95 combo. The same tripod works very well with the 15x56 SLC on an Outdoorsmans mount.

For those of you with an Arca Swiss based tripod head, check out the Really Right Stuff L85 lens plate. It has an anti-twist bar and you can mount it on the BTX facing backwards, allowing you to center the balance point over the top of the tripod head.

The 15x56 binocular does not need a tripod that is very heavy, any sturdy lightweight model will do
the job.
A spotting scope is entirely different, heavier, and think of the magnification differences, they require more
support.

Different courses for different horses. That is why most users have multiple tripods...o:D

Jerry

The 15x56 binocular does not need a tripod that is very heavy, any sturdy lightweight model will do
the job.

True, yet it's impressive how much more resolution you can gain from a total lack of movement in the binos. Was using a friends SLC 15x56 next to mine last weekend and theirs had the Swaro bino mount (with a hint of looseness) and mine had the Outdoorsmans mount which was more solid. Both on extremely sturdy tripods but you could spot better with the sturdier tripod mount. Especially if theres wind blowing that affects the tripod.

I've just purchased a 15x56 SLC HD and took it to the coast today. A truly fantastic pair of binoculars. I was using it a bit like a spotting scope with a pair of 8x30s around my neck and these on the tripod - such a good combo.

Attached is a photo of the same scene through the 8x and the 15s. Just taken on my phone, so not doing either justice but may be of interest to some.

Attachments

• IMG_9591_1600by1200.JPG
    IMG_9591_1600by1200.JPG
    759.8 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_9590_1600by1200.JPG
    IMG_9590_1600by1200.JPG
    806.7 KB · Views: 295
Attached is a photo of the same scene through the 8x and the 15s. Just taken on my phone, so not doing either justice but may be of interest to some.
Hmm, the 8x seems focused short of the birds so not the best comparison. But yes, the 15x SLC is a great glass and I often use mine around lakes. Even handheld I can see more detail than with my usual 10x, as studies suggest should be true.

mpeace,

That is a high density of birds in the pics. When you say the coast, where was the location of photo? By the way, on the next clear night with no moon, point the SLCs up, you will be amazed.

Andy W.

The 15s are portable that is why I feel they are the best reaching hand held glass for astro there is. Additionally one can go with minimal gear and watch the fall migration.

Andy W.

Hmm, the 8x seems focused short of the birds so not the best comparison. But yes, the 15x SLC is a great glass and I often use mine around lakes. Even handheld I can see more detail than with my usual 10x, as studies suggest should be true.

Yes I know that's a shame. I was balancing the 8x on top of the tripod mounted 15x and while they were focused to my eyes I think the phone camera front focused onto the island in front - only noticed when I got home. In the center of the frame the detail on the birds on the 8x picture is pretty close to what would have been captured had it been sharply focused on them because of the depth of view and pixel density of the camera anyway. It gets soft to the edges much quicker than it would had it been correctly focused.

Reason for balancing the 8s on top of the 15x is quite embarrassing. I was basically using a £4 tripod mount on the SLCs (it's all I had) and it got stuck! So I had to spend the day with the tripod mount stuck to the SLCs and couldn't then mount the 8x. Pair of pliers at home unstuck it, lesson learnt and my next purchase is a decent tripod mount!

Both images should be much sharper though and don't really convey the detail both binoculars capture when steadied on a tripod.

mpeace,

That is a high density of birds in the pics. When you say the coast, where was the location of photo? By the way, on the next clear night with no moon, point the SLCs up, you will be amazed.

Andy W.

This was at my favorite location on England's South Coast called Hayling Island. It has these fantastic mud flats when the tides out and then when it comes in there's these oyster beds with raised land around them that act as islands in the sea that the waders all come and roost on. It's really fabulous.

I happened to look at the moon last night and it was indeed super! I've been turning optics to the moon for years though and so there was kind of no surprise. What did surprise me was the view of stars and star fields. I've never been too fussed with binoculars before, but the 15s really brought them to life - so bright and clear and many more stars than I've seen with other binoculars.

Last edited:
I've been carrying only my 15s lately with no tripod, and it is awesome. These binos are way more versatile than I ever would have guessed before I bought them.
They are not too heavy when I wear them like a sash (over one shoulder and around my torso). And I have gotten to be pretty competent at handholding them.
I admit, they are hopeless for watching passerines, but they are awesome for watching raptors, waterfowl, shorebirds, and gulls. I've been going out to fields and estuaries and having a great time.
I don't think 15s could be the only pair of birding binoculars one owns, but they certainly can be a fun choice for being the only pair of binoculars that one carries for a birding adventure. They will make up for what they miss with detail of what they do not.

Hi quincy88,

I'm hoping to purchase slc 15x56 to bridge the gap on my 10x42, I can hold the 10x42s no problem and have never held or looked through the Swarovski 15s so would be buying blind due to the covid19 lockdown, I will be using them while hiking along shorelines and inland viewing basically an all rounder if that's possible, I'm just needing a bit of reassurance before shelling out £1630 uk pounds, cheers marleymac.

I've been carrying only my 15s lately with no tripod, and it is awesome. These binos are way more versatile than I ever would have guessed before I bought them.
They are not too heavy when I wear them like a sash (over one shoulder and around my torso). And I have gotten to be pretty competent at handholding them.
I admit, they are hopeless for watching passerines, but they are awesome for watching raptors, waterfowl, shorebirds, and gulls. I've been going out to fields and estuaries and having a great time.
I don't think 15s could be the only pair of birding binoculars one owns, but they certainly can be a fun choice for being the only pair of binoculars that one carries for a birding adventure. They will make up for what they miss with detail of what they do not.

Agree entirely that the 15x is a surprisingly versatile and capable glass.
One of our Central Park birders carried a Canon 15x50 IS very effectively, even though she was both petite and well past her salad days. Perhaps the IS helps offset the limited FoV.

Yo Marleymac,
In my opinion, they are a great high magnification all rounder. I recommend them highly.
As I said, I have been using them without any other optics and without a tripod and having a ton of fun. I use them a lot for shorelines where I can see for hundreds of yards, and they are great. I identified a Marbled Godwit and a Short-Billed Dowitcher from 200 - 300 yards just a couple days ago. Both new life birds. Just holding a pair of binoculars. It's awesome.

This is my experience also. For birding around local wetlands (and being too lazy to deal with a scope) I find the 15s ideal. If you don't get so close, they'll do even for passerines. ;) Coincidentally last week I also ID'd Marbled Godwit and Willet, lifers for me too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back