• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (13 Viewers)

My first three lifers of hopefully many during my seven week Australia trip this afternoon at Melbourne's Royal Botanic Gardens, with Australasian Grebe, Hardhead and Bell Miner.

I added Barrow's Goldeneye (about 200) and a Rock Ptarmigan to my lifelist in Iceland bringing my Iceland haul up to 9 lifers. I didn't find any Red Phalarope, so I will have to return to see them in breeding plumage.

edit: If I count the Repoll I saw as Common, then that is now 550 species, 10 new in Iceland, previously I had only seen Lesser Redpoll in northern Germany. I'm not sure where the Islandic Redpolls fit in to all the recognised Redpoll species.

Last edited:
A few new species around eastern Victoria and south New South Wales today, with Wonga Pigeon, White-headed Pigeon, Common Bronzewing, Satin Bowerbird, White-browed Scrubwren and Chestnut Teal.

I continue to sweep up longtime nemesis birds.

Last weekend in the Kern River Valley, I tagged along with Southern Sierra Research Station researchers on Friday 7/11 and saw multiple Yellow-billed Cuckoos (lifer #470) in the South Fork Wildlife Area, where we tried but failed to capture any in our mist-net. On the plus side, we found a nest!

Then, on Saturday morning 7/12, after completing our portion of the South Fork Kern River Valley Rapid Assessment (basically a half-day CBC), also in the South Fork Wildlife Area, me and another birder headed over to the pinyon-juniper forest at Walker Pass some 20 miles east, where I finally heard and saw my lifer Pinyon Jays (#471), after numerous failed attempts at that spot over the years.

Four more lifers today, starting at Kiama in New South Wales, where it was fantastic to pick up both Wandering and Indian Yellow-nosed Albatrosses among numerous Black-browed Albatrosses from the shore, and then onto Sydney, where I found Long-billed Corella and Red-rumped Parrot.

Finally got around to heading over to Portland for the Hoody this weekend. The bird was feeling elusive - plenty of places to hide and 400 mates around to help - and the glare and dust from the quarry didn't help either, but I found him in the end. :)

Looking up at the last post with more than a little green in the retinas, but I keep telling myself "Wandering Albatross only counts as one"

It's not helping, really.

One day.....

Latest life bird: Brown Wood Owl, Danum Valley, Sabah, Borneo

Latest life mammal: Binturong, Danum Valley, Sabah, Borneo

Still can't catch up with Short-toed Eagle in the UK through, even though it was initially found a mere 6 miles from my house, I was abroad at the time.

Ian

Six lifers from pelagic trip off Cape Breton, Nova Scotia with Bird Island Boat Tours (I give two thumbs up): Arctic Terns, Razorbills, Atlantic Puffins, Common Eider, Black Guillemot, Black-legged Kittiwakes. (Also seen on tour--Bald Eagles, Northern Gannets, Bank Swallows (Sand Martins), Spotted Sandpipers, Great Black-backed Gulls, Herring Gulls, Great Blue Herons, Double-crested Corms, Great Corms, Grey Seals)

Six lifers from pelagic trip off Cape Breton, Nova Scotia with Bird Island Boat Tours (I give two thumbs up): Arctic Terns, Razorbills, Atlantic Puffins, Common Eider, Black Guillemot, Black-legged Kittiwakes. (Also seen on tour--Bald Eagles, Northern Gannets, Bank Swallows (Sand Martins), Spotted Sandpipers, Great Black-backed Gulls, Herring Gulls, Great Blue Herons, Double-crested Corms, Great Corms, Grey Seals)
That's a looong way from the Pacific coast of Mexico!

Three lifers in the last two days- Brown Honeyeater at Byron Bay, NSW; Australian Pipit near the NSW-Queensland border and then Noisy Friarbird in Noosa, Queensland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back