• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skywatcher ED ... 72! (1 Viewer)

Cosme

Haven’t see any thread of this astro

Is the small brother of the well knowed, very well rated ED 80

It’s only 8 mm less but also 700 grams lighter ... can be lighter with an helical focuser instead the crayford ... I would say it can stay in 1.5 kilos ... (2kgs original ota) and 420 fl

I googled the whole scope name + digiscoping and there’s no images yet ... not even astro!

Hope somebody discover the Sw 70 ed by me, it was released not much ago. Tempting price ... 350€|$

Regards!

Last edited:
In the October 2018 Sky at Night magazine there is an interesting test of the Skywatcher 150ED DS Pro refractor.
The tester notes that on planets the contrast and definition were less good compared to the Skywatcher 150ED Esprit (triplet objective?).

Zeta Herculis an unequal close double star was split at 533x, (90x per inch of aperture) with the small companion residing in the first diffraction ring.

So, I was rather surprised the 150 ED doublet didn't do better on planets.
Maybe not the best ED glass?
Tube 9.5kg.

In the October 2018 Sky at Night magazine there is an interesting test of the Skywatcher 150ED DS Pro refractor.
The tester notes that on planets the contrast and definition were less good compared to the Skywatcher 150ED Esprit (triplet objective?).

Zeta Herculis an unequal close double star was split at 533x, (90x per inch of aperture) with the small companion residing in the first diffraction ring.

So, I was rather surprised the 150 ED doublet didn't do better on planets.
Maybe not the best ED glass?
Tube 9.5kg.

Hi,

yes, the Esprit series are all triplets with an FPL53 element. Regarding what glass it is - we don't really know - there's quite a few around but they are basically two groups which most of them fall into:

FPL51 and "copies": FPL51, FK52, NPK-52, FCD-1, H-FK61, FK1 and maybe some more...

FPL53 and competition: FPL53, its successor FPL55, N-FK56 and FCD-100.

Then there is OK4 which is kind of in between but this only available to LZOS and sometimes to some other russian lensmakers and of course Fluorite crystal, which is quite close to the FPL-53 group.

I suspect that the SW 150ED uses FPL51 or equivalent together with some lanthanum glass.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back