• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar 7x42; how yellow is yellow? (1 Viewer)

Frank could answer that question if he wasn't so busy selling a half dozen "oldie but goodie" porros on eBay. :)

I think Frank said the full sized Meopta B1s had a slight yellow bias compared to the 8x32 model, which was more neutral, but not as yellow biased as the Swaro hunting bins of yesteryear.

I'm thinking the new HDs (whenever they come out, not this year, according to Meopta Man) will be more neutral like the 8x32 model.

Perhaps someone who has bought Cabela's 10x42 Euro made by Meopta could comment on the color or lack of color bias.

Brock

I have the 8x32 and 7x42 Meoptas. In general I don't see the yellow hue. In certain conditions I can see it in both. It happens very rarely though. I think it happens when looking at the sky, clouds can look a bit yellow at times. Not all the time only when the daylight conditions induce it. I don't know what those daylight conditions are though. I think I probably see it in the 7x more often than in the 8x but i wouldn't swear to that.

I realise I am being vague but I haven't made a great study of this because it really isn't a problem. I do not pick up either bin and think wow that's yellow. I am happy with both. The 7x is my favourite. It is a joy to use. I love the ease of view that 7x42 gives. The weight is a bit heavy but not too bad. I once very briefly compared them to the 7x43 Zeiss and preferred the Meoptas.

I would be very surprised to hear that anyone was put off these bins because of their hue or tint or whatever you want to call it. Different bins have different colour tones but I have never seen any bins that I didn't like because of that.

Brock's assessment is accurate. This is one of those situations where the color bias is only readily noticeable under certain conditions and only in comparison to other binoculars with a more neutral color representation.

It is slight but it is there.

Agree with Frank and Brock. It is there in my old Leitz 7 x 42; more noticeable in overcast and rainy conditions. I read somewhere that the reason those older European binoculars had it was because Hunters, who bought many of them, thought it made the Game more visible under misty, rainy conditions. Meopta's seem more popular among the hunting fraternity.

Bob

PS: It shouldn't make much difference in your research with crows!;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back