• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta 10X42 HD (1 Viewer)

Pileatus

"Experientia Docet”
United States
I took quick look through the Cabelas version of the Meopta 10X42 HD (it says Meopta on the bin). It runs about $1000 USD.

I wasn't excited about the earlier, non-HD incarnation, but I was impressed with this model. HD glass, whatever its composition is in this particular bin, makes a big difference in the overall view. I'm not a 10X fan but this one held steady long enough to see a very sharp centerfield image with what looked like sharp edges. I just didn't have enough time to study it carefully.

Meopta, without a doubt, could refine their models for greater appeal to birders. Surely, they understand alpha-level optics.

The Cabelas model was torture tested...frozen then smashed on the ground. Quite amazing.
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/vide...87&embedCode=NxNWdrNTqDvXoMAxlCi7FQ-7VlZb7MaI

PS
I also spotted a 15 year old 8X32 SE...who da thunk it.

Last edited:
I tried the Meopta HD briefly last month, I agree it was very impressive, a premium feel to the view, if I had`nt known what it was I would have guessed Swaro.

I looked through the Euro 10x42 HD this weekend. The image presented is very impressive. Resolution drop off is very close to the edge.. One thing I noticed is the focus wheel. It wasnt smooth at all. I also looked through the non HD version and the focus wheel was even rougher..

All MeoStar B1 series binoculars have MeoBright 5501 ion assisted lens coatings on all air-to-glass optical surfaces. B1 binoculars are equipped with phase correct Schmidt–Pechan roof prisms. These prisms are silver coated.

Meopta feels that changing the coatings of the prism is better served as part of a larger upgrade or new generation of binoculars. Not as an an incremental improvement.

Thanks

I always liked the idea of a small European maker of premium quality optics. I could even say that your existence and history makes me happy since you sort of challenge the Teutonic three.

There is a lot to like with your binoculars, not to mention your new spotting scope.
However, it makes me worried that you seem to hope that if you sleep like the Sleeping Beauty, everyone around you will respect your sleep and you will stay young and pure.

But the painful truth is that time won't stop, and you will be aging way too fast if you don't decide to keep up with the competition. You have a lot to be proud of, and the Meostar line should be very competitive if you decide to upgrade it with dielectric coatings and ED glass. I fear that Zeiss' Conquest HD could eat you alive, and you deserve a better destiny. To be frank, you're about seven years late now.
I'm saying this with the best of intentions.

The reality out there is really harsh, and I wish I wouldn't have needed to write:
Although I like the Meostar 8x32 a lot, its warm colour rendition is the reason I won't consider the Meostar 7x42. I'm not saying this to bring you down or to discourage other potential buyers, but to raise your awareness that an updated Meostar line would be a winner.

//L

Last edited:
I always liked the idea of a small European maker of premium quality optics. I could even say that your existence and history makes me happy since you sort of challenge the Teutonic three.

There is a lot to like with your binoculars, not to mention your new spotting scope.
However, it makes me worried that you seem to hope that if you sleep like the Sleeping Beauty, everyone around you will respect your sleep and you will stay young and pure.

But the painful truth is that time won't stop, and you will be aging way too fast if you don't decide to keep up with the competition. You have a lot to be proud of, and the Meostar line should be very competitive if you decide to upgrade it with dielectric coatings and ED glass. I fear that Zeiss' Conquest HD could eat you alive, and you deserve a better destiny. To be frank, you're about seven years late now.

The reality out there is really harsh, and I wish I wouldn't have needed to write:
Although I like the Meostar 8x32 a lot, its warm colour rendition is the reason I won't consider the Meostar 7x42. I'm not saying this to bring you down or to discourage other potential buyers, but to raise your awareness that an updated Meostar line would be a winner.

//L

Perhaps, the new Meopta line should better be made of high-end Porros - they don't need any dielectric or P-coatings. They practically don't age, are never outdated, as long as they got a state of the art anti-reflex coating. Swarovski proved that even the old Habicht, with latest coatings, turned into a high performer once again. And all that for 700 Euro.

Niche market? Of course, but one that will last, when price and performance are matching. People like to have state of the art optics, but there are less of them willing to pay 2000 Euro for a high-end roof.

Cheers,
Holger

I always liked the idea of a small European maker of premium quality ..................................................

But the painful truth ...........................

//L

The really, really harsh reality is that if you really,truly really want that kind of 7 x 42 Roof Prism you have limited yourself to either a Leica 7 x 42 Ultravid or a Nikon 7 x 42 EDG and that is the painful truth which becomes even more painful when you realize they will cost more than twice as much as the Meopta 7 x 42 Meostar!;)

Bob

With Outdoor Life's "Editors Choice" and Field and Stream's "Best of the Best" awards for their 10x42 HD, lots of hunters are going to notice. I'm not feeling too sorry for Meopta myself. Good work, I'd like to try one. I like massive, gives me confidence.
Ron

With Outdoor Life's "Editors Choice" and Field and Stream's "Best of the Best" awards for their 10x42 HD, lots of hunters are going to notice. I'm not feeling too sorry for Meopta myself. Good work, I'd like to try one. I like massive, gives me confidence.
Ron

And exactly that is a good indication how much appreciation a general switch to HD designation actually would receive.

//L

//L

Holger Merlitz gives some reason's here why the smaller binocular manufacturers have problems doing this: It expands on his comment in link #9 above.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2676083&postcount=29

Bob

I took quick look through the Cabelas version of the Meopta 10X42 HD (it says Meopta on the bin). It runs about $1000 USD.

I wasn't excited about the earlier, non-HD incarnation, but I was impressed with this model. HD glass, whatever its composition is in this particular bin, makes a big difference in the overall view. I'm not a 10X fan but this one held steady long enough to see a very sharp centerfield image with what looked like sharp edges. I just didn't have enough time to study it carefully...

Like you, I've never been a big 10x fan, but I've been mightily impressed every time I've checked them out including the two Cabela's in my area. Two or three different samples in two different stores, one with with an eye resolution chart.

The image is so clean, sharp and vivid that it seems brighter than the SV 10x42 SLC HD. I'd be most interested to see how it's transmission compares to the latter.

The only real weaknesses that I could see was slightly more pin cushion than the Zeiss Conquest HD, although considerably less CA than the latter. And not sharp to the edge, which is not a big deal for me as long as the edges are sharp enough to see anything of interest moving into the FOV. A real winner at its $1000 price point.

Hopefully Meopta will introduce 8X versions soon, both 32mm and 42mm :t:

Hopefully Meopta will introduce 8X versions soon, both 32mm and 42mm :t:

And 7x versions in those objectives as well.

With all the ED HD binos becoming available, I think they will have to step up or they will fall behind. Will it be the same models with HD or a completely new model??? Time will tell.

CG

I saw one at Cabela's cave in Roger, AR, yesterday, and was really impressed by the brightness, sharpness, over all quality,
but some "stickyness on hinge.
It was reduced to $699 and looked like an alpha to me ,
had a much better view than the SW 32mms that I was trying out

edj

//L

And now, the Cabelas 32 mm Euro HD's are hitting the shelves. I would like to take the opportunity to congratulate Meopta to a wise move. :t:
It is possible that I'll upgrade when they come with the Meopta badge in Europe.

//L

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back