• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nethybridge (1 Viewer)

I'm going to be on a flying visit up to Scotland early next week and was thinking of nipping in to the Nethy Bridge area. My two targets are Capercaillie and Scottish Crossbill. I'd very much welcome and appreciate any advice on seeing either species that people might be able to offer.

Thanks in anticipation

Adam

Last edited:
go to the early morning caper watch at Loch Garten. Please do not go looking for birds in the woods at this time of year - they are very susceptible to disturbance (it is also against the law to disturb a schedule 1 breeding bird at or near the nest and/or lek)

HTH

Gordon Hamlett - author of Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands

go to the early morning caper watch at Loch Garten. Please do not go looking for birds in the woods at this time of year - they are very susceptible to disturbance (it is also against the law to disturb a schedule 1 breeding bird at or near the nest and/or lek)

HTH

Good advice from Gordon, there are birds showing at Garten, though not every morning, they should be getting more active every day from now on..

Good advice from Gordon, there are birds showing at Garten, though not every morning, they should be getting more active every day from now on..

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go. Any advice on Scottish Crossbills? Where's the best area around Nethy Bridge for them?

TIA

Adam

Last edited:
Back from my trip to Scotland. I took people's advice and went to the Loch Garten Caper Watch and managed a reasonable sighting on my third attempt. I managed Scottish Crossbill at Anagach Wood as well.

Trip write-up here for those who might be interested.

Adam

HTH

I would like to thank Gordon for his excellent book which I recently purchased and will be putting to good use next week with a 7 day visit to the Cairngorms booked. Will let you know how I got on when I return.

I would like to thank Gordon for his excellent book which I recently purchased and will be putting to good use next week with a 7 day visit to the Cairngorms booked. Will let you know how I got on when I return.

Thanks for the plug Johnny, the cheque's in the post;) Have a great trip.

Gordon

Back from my trip to Scotland. I took people's advice and went to the Loch Garten Caper Watch and managed a reasonable sighting on my third attempt. I managed Scottish Crossbill at Anagach Wood as well.

Trip write-up here for those who might be interested.

Adam

Thanks for posting this report Adam. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. We go to Speyside every year so know most of the places you mention. Just whet my appetite for our visit in October.

Sandra

Let me start by saying a week in the Cairngorms area is not long enough! a further 7 days would have done nicely. The snow which arrived on the second day messed our plans up a bit and we ended up having to abandon our Findhorn Valley trip, though it was weird seeing swallows flying around in the snow and willow warblers singing their heads off, however it was a lot easier to spot the black grouse in the snow, what wasn't so easy was searching for crossbills and crested tits in the forests as even when it wasn't snowing the snow was continually falling from the trees. We spent hours scouring the woods without seeing a single crossbill and only a brief view of a crested tit, It was during one of these searches that my wife spotted a female capercaillie perched high in conifers...how she spotted it I'll never know (see attached pic) We did visit the caper watch but their were no sightings for the whole week we were there.
Probably the hi-light of the week was our first visit to Lochindorb in the snow with wheatears, meadow pipits, redshanks, swallows and common sandpipers everywhere, on the loch itself were a pair of red throated divers, goosanders, grey lag geese and a very distant black throated diver and of course red grouse were everywhere.
On our second visit to Lochindorb at roughly the same time of day though the weather was better the loch was empty apart from the grey lag geese and on the moors the ever present red grouse and several curlew.
Only 2 buzzards were seen during the whole week, these were the only birds of prey seen all week apart from the ospreys. 4 lifers for me ptarmigan, black grouse, capercaillie and crested tit. Gordons book was invaluable and went with us everywhere, thanks again Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back