• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

USB Port (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi Guys,

Wonder if someone can help me with a query....

I have a Fuji digital camera, which is proving to be not all that suitable for use in digiscoping (for a number of inherent reasons..) and am think about buying a Coolpix; my question is regarding downloading of images to my PC.

The Fuji currently connects via a little cradle jobbie in to the USB port and this works OK, using various bits of software that came with the camera.

Does the Coolpix range typically connect via the USB port too??

and if so...

Would there be any problems with connecting the 2 cameras to the USB port alternatively, cos we would probably end up using the Coolpix for digi-scoping and the Fuji for general use. I wondered if there might be problems with driver contention or something?? If so, this might well prove to be a show-stopper!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Rgds... Ruby

Ruby,

I don't think there should be any problem swapping USB cables. I used to do it with my Handspring Treo pocket organiser, HP 3822 printer and then my Nikon 4500 digital camera. Eventually I discovered if you have a savvy computer shop handy they should be able to advise and offer you a USB converter hub that increases the number of attachments to the PC port from one to at least four so that you can connect more peripherals without having to continually swap over. Its a bit like one of those multiway power sockets from B @ Q but obviously not as big. I now use one of these USB "adaptors" (cost about £20) and have had no problems with it whatsoever. So I must assume there is no problem with driver contention as my computer knowledge is very basic but this new setup has worked very well for me since I installed it.

Thanks Geoff - that sounds like a good solution.... Yes, as you say, this tends to suggest that there can't be any problem with driver (or anything else) contention.

Rgds.... Ruby

Ruby,

I have never tried connecting two different cameras with their respective software and drivers, but I see no reason why this can't be done. What I did find, before I changed cameras, was that the NikonView software that came with my Coolpix 995 also started up when I attached the card reader with the CF cards containing the photos from the two cameras I tried in the shop - one Canon and one Olympus. So you might be able to use the same software for both cameras.

Alternatively, you might be better off using a card reader, then you will only need the drivers for that installing, rather than the drivers for two cameras. That way you conserve the camera battery anyway. If you have different format memory cards in the two cameras, you will need to get a card reader that takes both types - they are available from somewhere like Maplins or PC World.

Thanks Diane - that's very helpful.

Sounds like I need to look into it a bit further to come up with the best option - I just wanted to know whether it would actually be impossible, but it sounds likely that it is do-able....

The nest that comes with the Finepix is actually quite good, as it's a charging station too.....

Rgds.... Ruby

Hi Ruby

I had the Finepix and Nikon software both installed on my PC and as soon as you plugged in either camera to the USB port both sets of software loaded up! There was no conflict but it was a pain waiting for both things to sort themselves out. The Nikon software (understandably) was best so I removed the Fuji. I then got a multi-card reader (CF, SM etc etc) and removed the Nikon software as well as I found it just as quick to preview the pictures with the Microsoft Photo Editor, delete what I didn't want and then the tranfer was much faster direct from the card reader to the hard disc than from the camera.

Hope this helps

Leigh

I only have a Nikon CP4500 but I don't use the Nikon software - I use a card reader. This reduces wear and tear on the USB port (which I only use for the Nikon remote). If the USB port goes wrong you are looking at hundreds of pounds to repair whereas a card reader can be bought for as little as £20.

I have a CP885 on which the USB port went wrong. I was quoted £230 to repair - suffice to say I didn't bother.

Thanks Leigh,

That's all helpful information - plenty for me to consider there...

Did you try using your Fuji for digi-scoping?? How has the Nikon compared??

Rgds... Ruby

I have a Coolpix 990 and purchased a card reader to go with it. I also purchased a USB hub that gives me an extra 4 USB ports. It gives me an extension (as the hub is on a cable about 3 feet long) that I can site on top of my desk so that I don't have to mess around with the back of the base. I have the card reader in one of the ports all the time and I also have 3 more ports available on my desk top for use to cover any eventualities.

I fully endorse using a card reader and I love the flexibilty that the hub gives me. Also if you manage to damage a port on the hub you are still left with some available, as well as not doing any damage to the ones on the base. The hub is connected to the base at all times, aleviating the need to connect anything new to the USB ports on the base.

Hi Ruby,

I have a Minolta Dimage7i and a Nikon Coolpix 4500. Like others here I also use a card reader to download my pictures. I have both sets of software loaded on my computer and use the Coolpix software to download (I'm using WinXp). I download all pictures to my hard drive before reviewing them. I find that working with the pictures off my hard drive is much faster than trying to edit them on the camera. Once setup the Coolpix software will automatically create a new directory on my computer, download the pictures and then delete them off the memory card. It's fast and simple! I keep my cameras mounted on my scope at all times and this way I just pop the card out and don't even have to remove the camera.

Bill

Thanks Guys - more helpful advice.....

Reader - Can you recall where you obtained your USB hub from and how much it cost??

Thanks.... Ruby

Hi

Yes I tried the fuji - It's a Finepix 2800 - I got some reasonable results but not as good as the CP885. The 2800 is useful as it has a 6x Optical zoom - good for anything that pops up close or needs a quick shot - although the delay from pressing the shutter to the image being taken is appalling - about 1 second!

Thanks Alan

That's useful. If I end up going down that route I might well give 7dayshop a whirl as their prices ssem very reasoanble. Have you used them yourself??

Thanks Leigh,

I am slowly coming around to the opinion that I will only (usually at least) be able to get blurry shots with the FinePix 601.

I think that I will only ever be able to hand-hold as it seems to be very difficult to devise some method of attaching camera to scope for the following reasons :-

1. The camera lens-extension retracts completely into the camera body when you power the camera off (need to do this often to preserve battery life)

2. Using some sort of tube-type mounting would require precision engineering as the camera lens is not actually positioned centrally within the lens extension!

3. The shutter release button is set at an angle across the corner of the camera body - making remote operationa a bit of a challenge.

Coupled with all that, I'm not convinced that the camera's electronics can cope very well with exposure and focusing under the sort of low-light conditions you often get when using a scope.

All in all, I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to get a camera that is proven to work well through a scope...like a Coolpix!!

RGds.... Ruby

Ruby,

I have ordered from 7dayshop on several occasions and they have always been very good. They're OK if you have to send anything back as well.

Ruby

I purchased mine from Jessops some time ago but it was dearer than the £14.99 Alan has stated. If you were interested then I would go for Alan's recommendation. Mine cost about £10 more.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back