• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gardening for Habitat - Why I built a Wetland not a dam - Mara Ripani (1 Viewer)

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
Very interesting article on the different types of wetland ecosystems and functioning and the benefits of constructing them on larger lots. Good information which you may be able to scale, or apply locally. You may be able to go beyond a mere birdbath even in a humble backyard :t:
https://renew.org.au/renew-magazine...CnonE9PZoeWvQxcOKGKIPOHe1YpP4nn6FEI7ZmSInj8Go

"Gardening for Habitat"
https://renew.org.au/renew-magazine/gardening/gardening-for-habitat/
Another interesting article about increasing ecological structural complexity using plants indigenous to the local area. No matter what the size of your little plot there are benefits to be gained by scaling as much as you can. This is analogous on a suburban/rural scale with what folk in UK like to term 'Rewilding' :)

Chosun :gh:

Reclaiming Victoria's flowering native grasslands

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article...svwQHqhApG8K4vxJgYXuak1G-OceWgUIav23Nfn2GqCXg

"Unlike the manicured turf of Kikuyu grass - introduced to Australia by pastoralists in the early 20th century - the 3m square, fenced in by post-and-rail, is teeming with life.

Flowers the colour of the sky and the sun, with names like Shiny Everlasting and Blue Pincushions, tumble over each other. The air is tinged with a faint scent of chocolate, emitted from a bright purple flower known as the Chocolate Lilly. Bronze tufts of Kangaroo Grass shimmer and quiver in the breeze.

Through this ecological tapestry a myriad of insects including grasshoppers, native blue-banded bees, skipper butterflies and colonies of ant species all weave and scuttle.

Part of the Lost Lands Found project, this small patch of reclaimed Altona ecology is re-acquainting local residents with 55 species of Indigenous wildflowers, grasses, herbs and lilies that once flourished throughout the area.

The creator of the project, Wemba-Wemba and Wergaia man, Dean Stewart, describes this window into the past as "part ecological restoration, part public art installation"."

I live near the field and I have a beautiful view of the field and field grass. I can’t tell you what the smell of freshness and different aromas is in the mornings and evenings. One disappointment is that all these herbs are transferred to my flowerbed and horsemans, I’m just tired of fighting them.

Good god ! Don't spray anywhere with weed killer. :eek!:
If you mulch and grow something that fully uses the fertility in the space it should out compete any weeds.

Many weeds will not grow in their 'own' mulch - so just slash them down prior to them setting seed or taking off after a rain event, etc.

It's a lot easier to work with nature than fight her ...... :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back