• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Songbirds Guanacaste Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

Numbers 1 & 3 are Flycatchers I think. Possibly the same species but which one I've no idea. Number 2 I also haven't got a clue. The bird appeared to have a very short tail although it might just have been the angle it was perched. Number 4 is possibly a Summer Tanager inbetween plummages.

This were seen a few days ago on my Costa Rican holiday in the tops of trees and scrub surrounding a car park near Playa Conchal.

Numbers 1 & 3 are Flycatchers I think. Possibly the same species but which one I've no idea. Number 2 I also haven't got a clue. The bird appeared to have a very short tail although it might just have been the angle it was perched. Number 4 is possibly a Summer Tanager inbetween plummages.

This were seen a few days ago on my Costa Rican holiday in the tops of trees and scrub surrounding a car park near Playa Conchal.

1) Although the larger bird's bill has a bit of an icterid (blackbird) feel to it, I think this is probably female Western tanager. The smaller bird is a m euphonia, and since I can't see white in the vent, it might be something like spotted-crowned (if in range)
2) is an oriole, perhaps Baltimore?
3) a tyrannid but would require more work to figure out which flycatcher
4) might be f summer tanager as I don't see evidence of greyish tones to make it hepatic

1) Although the larger bird's bill has a bit of an icterid (blackbird) feel to it, I think this is probably female Western tanager. The smaller bird is a m euphonia, and since I can't see white in the vent, it might be something like spotted-crowned (if in range)
2) is an oriole, perhaps Baltimore?
3) a tyrannid but would require more work to figure out which flycatcher
4) might be f summer tanager as I don't see evidence of greyish tones to make it hepatic

Immature male for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back