• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID challenge Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

Digbert Doobrey

791 (640x480).jpg

This pic was took at Playa Conchal Guanacaste a few days ago. There are 5 possibly 6 species in this shot. Can you name them all? (I certainly can't!).

Photo is awfully small and grey, hard to be sure of anything.

There's one of the blue-and-yellow euphonias at upper center, e.g. thick-billed.

The bird above it looks a little fatter than the others, but it could be the angle. Possibly it has a yellow belly. Kiskadee? Flycatcher?

Bird left of that looks similar - perhaps yellowish belly, perhaps slimmer, but grey head eliminated kiskadee. Flycatcher? Tanager?

Bird at left edge has yellowish back and dark wings with bright markings. Oriole? Tanager?

Vertical bird at right of picture looks plain grey, but can't see it well. Could be, say, a palm tanager, but really it could be anything.

Two tiny horizontal birds below that one. Female euphonias?

It is a poor photo I know. The light was poor, there was no background, and the birds were at a fair distance.

All part of the challenge but good answers though.

The two large birds on the left were Tropical Kingbirds if I remember correctly. The Euphonia is Scrub Euphonia, and theres a Streak backed Oriole on the left.
Its the birds on the right of the pic I'm struggling with.

The two large birds on the left were Tropical Kingbirds if I remember correctly. The Euphonia is Scrub Euphonia, and theres a Streak backed Oriole on the left.
Its the birds on the right of the pic I'm struggling with.

So this looks like another photo of the various songbirds you posted separately. If so, you've confirmed some of the ids there, and got ids for the others! [I noted m euphonia there:—so we know it's actually scrub euphonia]. I suggested baltimore oriole for the oriole you posted there, but perhaps it's streak-backed...

On the right there's a tanager. This should be Western Tanager as per the other post and it's accompanied by two female euphonias. These are probably scrub. Agree the large birds look like Tropical Kingbirds so that might be the ID of the flycatcher in the other post (although that looked different from memory: not the greatest photo/angle)

It’s a separate photo. I know it’s a rubbish pic but the number of species in the photo I thought would make for an interesting ID challenge. Thanks for your help. That was my first trip to Central America so a lot of the smaller stuff has been a bit of a headache to say the least and a few birds will have to remain a mystery.

That is until I get the chance to go back. What an unbelievable country Costa Rica was for wildlife!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back