• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

goyt valley nr buxton (1 Viewer)

First walk long walk in the valley for a long time ,the lower valley reveled a pair of dippers and a pair of mandrins a greater spotted woodpecker and a couple of grey wagtails ,a few chiffchaffs were heard but not seen .Not a lot to see on ferilee res but i spotted a common sandpiper <first of the year for me> .On to errwood and another year first a tree pippet and another mandrin in with the canada geese ,they seemed to be everywhere even on the high ground away from the res 2 more dippers in the stream beyond the res +1 more grey wag No redstarts <1 was seen a couple of days ago> no pied flys can only be a matter of day before they arrive plenty of red grouse on the tops and the odd curlew

Attachments

• dippers in upper goyt.JPG
    dippers in upper goyt.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 51
  • canadas on moorland.JPG
    canadas on moorland.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 56
Forgot to mention 2 or 3 willow warblers just above errwood and a pair of wheatears on the way down to burbage from the edge plus a couple more mandrins in the gardens at buxton theese were coming for bread on sunday

Attachments

• mandrin  sunday.JPG
    mandrin sunday.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 47
Superb morning in the valley. Tree pipit and redstart in the woods above Errwood reservoir. Common sandpiper and little ring plover on the side of the reservoir.
Missed the male Ring Ouzel sat on the chimney at Danebower! Many Wheatear and Meadow pipit. Sat for an hour in lovely warm spring weather. Then one of the worst pieces of birding I have ever seen occurred. We were sat up on the track, public footpath where all birders view from. A birder, assuming this as had bins and was dressed in outdoor gear, climbed over the fence/wall. This has partially collapsed but is still clearly a boundary into an area which is not a public footpath. This individual then proceeded to walk down the side of the wall, trespassing, into the valley, may sound nothing but for those of us who bird this area regularly know that both Wheatear and Stonechat nest in this wall as has the Ring Ouzel in the past. Absolutely dreadful act which actively disturbed both species. Even worst from our perspective is he looked up and must have seen us but proceeded to walk through the area we were watching. Total and complete ignorance and disrespect for the birds. He was too far down for us to tackle but had he been near the top he would have know in no uncertain terms. Regular watchers of this area will know where I am talking about and how bad this act was. Also it is a sensitive area with the farmers, this act, if seen, would serve to compound the situation.

Phil

Unfortunately, Phil, I don't think many reading this will be surprised. For a while now ,I've been uneasy with the widescale publicity of scarce bird's breeding sites on the internet. Ring ouzel in Cheshire as a breeder must be close to extinction ,yet this site is mentioned every year on here without a thought and some who come to view won't give a damn about the bird's welfare.
It's too late now for this site but can we all please think before we publicise the whereabouts of breeding birds ? Tell trusted mates if you wish but if you put it on the web you can pretty well guarantee some idiots will turn up.

Unfortunately, Phil, I don't think many reading this will be surprised. For a while now ,I've been uneasy with the widescale publicity of scarce bird's breeding sites on the internet. Ring ouzel in Cheshire as a breeder must be close to extinction ,yet this site is mentioned every year on here without a thought and some who come to view won't give a damn about the bird's welfare.
It's too late now for this site but can we all please think before we publicise the whereabouts of breeding birds ? Tell trusted mates if you wish but if you put it on the web you can pretty well guarantee some idiots will turn up.

Hence my lack of reports from almost daily visits. But I still cannot believe the behaviour, absolute t****r. Irrespective of disclosing sites to actually climb through or over a wall is just plain wrong in my view and shows complete disregard for the farmer. BTW local number plate. I just hope he sees this and realises the error of his ways. Sadly the arrogance will probably preclude that.

Phil

Last edited:
Support what Phil has stated in the above few posts.

I was sat with Phil when this incident took place. He showed a complete disregard for his surroundings, the land he was on, (Private), the fence he jumped over (private), the habitat that he was walking through (Grasses with potential nesting birds... and again private), the wall he actively leant (actual nesting birds), the disregard for fellow birders who sat at a distance and actually sat on the public footpath while waiting for birds to show, a fragrant disrespect for Phil and I when he looked back at us for a moment and decided he would just carry on with his unreasonable behaviour.

Totally disgusting behaviour from a local birdwatcher. I was angry at the time and the more I think about it I wish I had waited an hour more for him to come back to his car and teach him a few field skills.....
What was a lovely morning watching birds, sat in the sunshine and with that hope that we all get that the last bird maybe the best, we left early and are left with anger rather than the memories of a superb morning

Regards
Dave

Last edited:
Hi All

First ever time birding in the valley yesterday ...

Very enjoyable, but helped of course by the weather and by connecting with several of my favourite species... Redstart, Dipper, Tree Pipit, Red Grouse, Curlew and Wheatear ... but no sign of any Pied Flycatcher.
My wanderings started at The Street car park, up towards the far end of the Riverside Walk and then back down across the dam to beyond the car park next to the small pool.
Good to connect with a few other birders at different points, plus two or three couples on holiday (from Oxford, Bedford etc) enjoying some part-time birdwatching in our Costa del Staffs sunshine !

Looking forward to my next trip.

Cheers
Andy Russell

PS: I meant to mention a small lizard (or lizard look-alike ) near the metal gate scuttling across the path from that small pool ... saving the life a frog about to be run over near the Errwood car park ! ... and seeing two stoats (each crossing the road on separate sides of Buxton). AR

Goyt Valley Sightings

Hi

Spent Saturday having a quick wander around the valley just around the Errwood reservoir, just along the lake side from the Northern car park a single male Common Redstart was noted along with a few Willow Warblers.
Then by the Southern car park two Pied Flycatchers both male were noted, a single male Common Redstart and again numerous Willow Warbler, also feeding in one of the Alders by the lake side were two Siskin and a single Goldcrest.

Didn't have time to pop across to Dane Bower but numerous Red Grouse and Meadow Pipit were on show across Axe Edge.

In respect to the area around Dane Bower the birder mentioned above may have been new to the area and was merely copying what he saw walkers doing, I have sat on the track and seen numerous walkers just about going any where they want. I have even seen a group of walkers descend the rock debris / scree down to the river as a short cut rather than following the track around.

Tim

Cold day in the valley today but i did manage to see redstarts today 3 in total along with 2 tree pippets and 2 stonechats and 3 treecreepers 1 nuthatch 2 jays and a dipper in the lower valley .Lots of song thrushs and mistle thrushs about too plus 1 mandrin on fernilee res

Attachments

• redstart in the goyt.JPG
    redstart in the goyt.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 66
  • treecreeper in the goyt.JPG
    treecreeper in the goyt.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 69
Much warmer in the valley today a couple of redstarts 3 tree pipets 4 grey wagtails 2 ravens ,no pied flycatchers this time and still no cuckoo or wood warbler :eek!:

Attachments

• Copy of kestral  goyt 16.JPG
    Copy of kestral goyt 16.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 79
A cuckoo was heard this morning near Errwood reservoir (Errwood car park end). No flycatchers but lots of the other usual stuff. Also saw a pair of Siskins - first time I've seen them there.

Chris

Thanks for the imfo on the cuckoo , siskins can be seen sometimes in the Errwood area but are quite often seen at the tops of some of the biggest pine treees

Not quite in the valley but near it walk on to coombs moss via lightwood buxton Not a great lot of birds about raven curlew meadow pippet skylark willow warbler ,grey wagtail a couple of intreasting insects i think were green hairstreak butterfly and pine beetle thou i might be wrong on both accouts ?

Attachments

• pine beetle 2016.JPG
    pine beetle 2016.JPG
    425 KB · Views: 66
  • green hair streak.JPG
    green hair streak.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 79
Great day in the valley today pied fly and 2 blackcaps fernilee +sparrowhawk 3 pied flys at errwood and my fist 2016 spotted flys ,met up with a group from wilmslow who had heard a cuckoo earlyer A few curlews on the tops and 1 or two red grouse 1 skylark and my first golden plover on the moors for a while ,i find it more pleaseing to see them on home ground than big flocks at coastal reserves almost forgot tree pipets showing well

Attachments

• mandrin fernilee.JPG
    mandrin fernilee.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 50
  • treepippet  may.JPG
    treepippet may.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 58
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back