• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Novagrade: "Standard" or "Compact" Adapter? (1 Viewer)

Hermann

Germany
Having seen Moocher's excellent results with the Novagrade adapter, I want to take the plunge as well. So far I've used the Butterfly Smartphone-Adapter DA-SR1 (http://www.orniwelt.de/products/Digiscoping/Adapter/DA-1-Butterfly-Smartphone-Adapter-DA-SR1.html). I'm not entirely happy with that adapter though as I need to adjust the adapter every time I want to use it. That seems much easier (and quicker) with the Novagrade adapter.

However, Novagrade has two versions of the adapter, the Standard Adapter and the Compact Adapter, cf. http://novagrade.com/en/products/smartphone/, and I'm not sure which one to order. Is there anyone here who's seen (or even used) both adapters? Any comments on the differences in use, other than the size?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hermann

With the compact adaptor, you have to select the correct set of rubber grips to suit your phone (a selection is included with the adaptor). Once those are chosen and installed, the adaptor works in the same way as the standard adaptor but is probably less suited to bigger phones (like iPhone 6 plus etc).

The standard one is also "Guaranteed not to touch any phone buttons" - this can be an issue with the compact adaptor depending on which phone model you have.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Having seen Moocher's excellent results with the Novagrade adapter, I want to take the plunge as well. So far I've used the Butterfly Smartphone-Adapter DA-SR1 (http://www.orniwelt.de/products/Digiscoping/Adapter/DA-1-Butterfly-Smartphone-Adapter-DA-SR1.html). I'm not entirely happy with that adapter though as I need to adjust the adapter every time I want to use it. That seems much easier (and quicker) with the Novagrade adapter.

However, Novagrade has two versions of the adapter, the Standard Adapter and the Compact Adapter, cf. http://novagrade.com/en/products/smartphone/, and I'm not sure which one to order. Is there anyone here who's seen (or even used) both adapters? Any comments on the differences in use, other than the size?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hermann

Hi Hermann,

Thanks for the kind words. I use the Novagrade compact adapter and highly recommend it. Like you I used a few phone adopters before the Novagrade and found them to be too fiddly and to have more negative than positive points.

I can only praise the Novagrade. The main plus point for me is that I can leave my everyday phone case on my phone (Otterbox Commuter) and just fit it straight into the adapter when I want to use it to phonescope.

I haven't used the Novagrade Standard version so can't offer any feedback on that particular version.

Good luck with the phonescoping, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I recently had a day out with the Novagrade Adapter and my iPhone 5. check my results here http://moochersmoor.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/back-to-beginning.html

regards

Moocher

Last edited:
Pete and Moocher:

Thanks a lot for your advice. I think I'll go with the compact adapter, size really *is* important to me. Really big smartphones are out as far as I'm concerned anyway, and the compact adapter should work just fine with the correct set of rubber grips.

Moocher, you photos are really an inspiration. Very nice stuff. Since you mentioned trying different smartphones with your adapter: If you use an Android phone, you might want to try Open Camera. It's in the Google Playstore, it's free and comes without any annoying ads. I prefer it to the camera app of the Samsung S3 and especially the S4 because it allows fast and easy adjustment of the ISO settings and so on. It doesn't work with every Android phone that well, but it's worth a try.

Hermann

Last edited:
Pete and Moocher:

Thanks a lot for your advice. I think I'll go with the compact adapter, size really *is* important to me. Really big smartphones are out as far as I'm concerned anyway, and the compact adapter should work just fine with the correct set of rubber grips.

Moocher, you photos are really an inspiration. Very nice stuff. Since you mentioned trying different smartphones with your adapter: If you use an Android phone, you might want to try Open Camera. It's in the Google Playstore, it's free and comes without any annoying ads. I prefer it to the camera app of the Samsung S3 and especially the S4 because it allows fast and easy adjustment of the ISO settings and so on. It doesn't work with every Android phone that well, but it's worth a try.

Hermann

Thanks again Hermann.

I will keep that in mind. If i can pry Mrs Moochers Android phone out of her hands to experiment with i will give it a go. There are so many impressive smartphone cameras about these days. I use an iPhone 5 at the moment, but I'm always on the lookout for good camera phone reviews. I'm thinking of an upgrade, but waiting to see what this years iPhone 6S or whatever they are going to call it has to offer in the camera department.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back