• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moving from a lister to a finder (1 Viewer)

Actually, for a lot of people (and more so now than in the past), a car is a very unobtainable item. And - with the coming climate crisis - perhaps one that people should not be seeking to obtain, either.

Yes, I understand that, but again, there's a specific context here, in that the OP is talking about moving from being a twitcher to a finder. This presumes the ability to move when needed.

Regards

Owen

One final though which is perhaps an expansion on what has already been said - consider your location relative to what you are hoping to find, and also in context of the landscape.
Somewhere like St Abbs head and Tor Ness are obvious locations for finding migrants, and as a result there are (presumably) people who covers these sites very regularly. Use google (other maps are available) to figure out what other areas look good, and where there are reporting gaps - a quick look from my available resources and cross referenced against google maps would suggest a good and potentially underwatched areas could be Pease Bay or Bilsdean. A larger site with a variety of habitats will increase your scope (assuming you are not solely interested in land birds), but try to keep it to a manageable area (an hour to cover on foot) and close enough to home that you can make multiple visits (even more than once a day if possible).
Hope this helps!

That's a pretty good point. I reckon the bit of habitat checked most infrequently by most birders (including me) is the sky right above their heads.

John

yes, and if you have any interest in anything else, apart from clouds!, you will be distracted by what's going on at ground level. Even Bats is mainly looking down at the bat detector or tree top height!

One final though which is perhaps an expansion on what has already been said - consider your location relative to what you are hoping to find, and also in context of the landscape.
Somewhere like St Abbs head and Tor Ness are obvious locations for finding migrants, and as a result there are (presumably) people who covers these sites very regularly. Use google (other maps are available) to figure out what other areas look good, and where there are reporting gaps - a quick look from my available resources and cross referenced against google maps would suggest a good and potentially underwatched areas could be Pease Bay or Bilsdean. A larger site with a variety of habitats will increase your scope (assuming you are not solely interested in land birds), but try to keep it to a manageable area (an hour to cover on foot) and close enough to home that you can make multiple visits (even more than once a day if possible).
Hope this helps!
Thanks Daniel. That’s good advice. It will also test my resolve in not being spoon fed by other birders at the more popular sites

Research is the key - the areas, the habitats, weather, timings etc. - but one of the keys is knowing the area you are able to or going to bird. You will get to know where the 'common' birds hang out, their contact calls (if you can hear them) and their song. Then you will notice when something is different you will also start to understand which bushes to look in and which nooks and crannies to check. Without this prep work it becomes luck and not a replicable skill.

'I always tend to see a Blackcap there or a Trush here' but ask yourself why? If I was a migrant would I be looking for the same food. Seawatching, although I'm a complete beginner, would be what was the weather pattern the last couple of days x miles to the north or the south. Migration watchpoints, cloud cover, wind direction, other watchpoints, trends etc. I tend to try and get there on the first clear day after two or three bad days, on the bad days I have other favoured spots but I'm inland at the sea you might favour the bad weather days...

Ultimately it's down to time as others have already mentioned.

You can also hear something faintly which means you don't really hear it well enough to id it or pick it up/register it until someone alerts you etc etc
Nutcracker and dantheman, you are my knights in shining armour.

Personally one of my favourite sounds as a young lad was hearing EGP above 3000ft on a Scottish mountain. I haven’t been up many recently to test my hearing on that one.

Whilst we all agree it seems that time is the major component, it's worth further clarifying, if it wasn't already obvious, that you can tailor that time.

There's two general schools of finding. 1. Be a bird finder, but find whatever happens to crop up for you or on your patch. And 2. Cultivate a self found list, usually requiring you to put in effort to fill gaps in that list. This means that you can identify times and places you wish to be in order for you to have the best chance of finding those species.

For many species this can be very straightforward. As I've already said, if you haven't found a Buff-Breasted, Pectoral or Semi-palmated sandpiper, the first two weeks of September in Kerry will usually get the job done.

Need a Lapland bunting? Same time period on Mizen head, Carrahane strand, Cape Clear will fill that need etc.

Regards

Owen

For those birders that live in a truly urban sprawl, try and find any “isolated small” mature cemeteries/parks especially those that have overgrown areas with bramble, ivy, elder, etc. Their isolation in a concrete sprawl can produce an “island” effect, not unlike the aforesaid, I’ve found that this has worked for me particularly well within central London.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back