• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's UK Birding Year 2020 (1 Viewer)

I seem to be in the right places at the wrong times at the moment. Went to Goldcliff yesterday and couldn’t locate the long staying Ibis. Did avoid the hides though. Went to Kidwelly at lunchtime and somebody had flushed the Ibis seen this morning!

Over at Pembrey the hound had a good run and I finally added a year tick.

184. White Wagtail

Still 30 or 40 Sandwich Terns around as well and a nice view of a Peregrine flying over from the Gower.

Rich

Cracking day out in Pembs and Carms yesterday with my old man. Weather was superb and got chatting to some very decent birders. Including BirdForum’s own John O’Sullivan. Good to catch up with you John.

Pulled into the car park at Marloes Mere. And virtually straight away on to a lifer. Buff-Breasted Sandpiper. Looked absolutely stunning in the morning sun. Definitely in my top 5 of 2020.

Next we headed over to Little Haven. 17 Chough came pretty close and seemed unconcerned by our presence. A few Stonechats were around and a Wheatear. Peering over a cliff ( I hate heights!!) revealed several grey seal pups. Neither of us had seen these before.

Next it was off to the Gann estuary. Good to catch up with Nick whom we had met at Marloes Mere. Missed out on the Osprey but several Brents around along with Ringed Plovers and Dunlin.

Next it was off to Kidwelly Quay. A distant Curlew Sandpiper was nice in amongst the Dunlin. Then went for a walk in the hope of a Whinchat but no joy. Did have good views of a Kestrel and a Sparrowhawk though. Back at the Quay and a small Dunlin flock had moved closer. In amongst them were now 3 Curlew Sandpipers. Handsome birds. Tired out now we decided to head for home. A very enjoyable day.

185. Buff-breasted Sandpiper Lifer #7B :)B :)
186. Chough
187. Curlew Sandpiper

Attachments

• DE42A1F9-5D17-4412-A09D-ADC8B3C45BED.jpg
    DE42A1F9-5D17-4412-A09D-ADC8B3C45BED.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 7144B492-3890-4357-B90E-77414103C812.jpg
    7144B492-3890-4357-B90E-77414103C812.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 3
  • 6A4CBA0E-B585-43EF-90ED-BC3644E0ADAC.jpg
    6A4CBA0E-B585-43EF-90ED-BC3644E0ADAC.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20CEDE22-44E8-45EE-817F-D4E4FD6C29BE.jpg
    20CEDE22-44E8-45EE-817F-D4E4FD6C29BE.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 5
No new species today but having felt I’d neglected the boy yesterday we headed down to Rhosilli. I’m ashamed to say I’d never a actually walked out to Worm’s Head so today we decided to rectify that. Well pleased we did as it’s gorgeous. Anyone thinking of going over should keep an eye on the tide times though. Saw a couple more Chough, Wheatear and a few Gannets but that was pretty much it. The boy did enjoy his walk though. :t:

The Sandpiper puts me up to 293 on my life list so potentially 300 is still on the cards by the end of next year.

Rich

Attachments

• E99F8C61-B07B-48C6-B4FF-45979E9E6465.jpg
    E99F8C61-B07B-48C6-B4FF-45979E9E6465.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 13
Forgot to add these last weekend. Given its highly likely my area is going back into lockdown soon I think they maybe the last year ticks for a while. Supposed to be going to Cornwall for October half term but it’s doubtful that’ll be going ahead.

188. Red-necked Grebe
189. Cattle Egret

The Grebe was at Cheddar Reservoir. Great to finally meet Carol and her partner. The Egrets were in the Tealham Moor area.

Time to stay local and take the pup up the mountain.

Rich

Went with the pup down to Sker Point this morning. Nice to have some dry weather for a change. Perhaps it should have been no surprise that the car park was full - heaps of surfers.

At the point were several Curlews, Turnstones and a couple of Purple Sandpipers.

191. Purple Sandpiper

This afternoon I headed down to Crofty Marsh. Distant views of a Ringtail on the marsh. Then somebody I know via Twitter arrived. As we were chatting James picked up a hunting Merlin. Nice one James and good to meet you.

192. Merlin

A very enjoyable day.

Rich

Last edited:
Headed up to Chelmarsh Reservoir yesterday. A lovely drive. Herefordshire and Staffs have some beautiful countryside.

On arrival I bumped in to Nick from Cardiff. And at the site it was really good to meet James, Archie and Sam.

A short wait and lifer number 8 showed itself well, if briefly.

193. Pied-billed Grebe Lifer #8:):):)

From the reeds a Water Rail was also calling which surprisingly was a first for the year.

194. Water Rail

Picked up some ice cream from Llanfaes Dairy on the way home to get back in to the OH’s good books (worked btw:cool:) and by the time I’d got home the nettle stings on my hands had gone down. A cracking day.

Life list now stands at 294. Catching up with Carol now. Or maybe not:LOL:

Rich

Attachments

• A4962F63-5E59-4178-8A26-D7D45B31EEC7.jpeg
    A4962F63-5E59-4178-8A26-D7D45B31EEC7.jpeg
    992.9 KB · Views: 3
Very nice to meet you too Rich. The bird remained elusive for quite a while after you left, but finally came well out into the open for a bit at about 12:15, but remained right on the edge of my camera's capabilities given the prevailing light . Didn't see much on the way home, but managed to recce a good spot for farmland birds to hit early next year for yearlisting purposes, big flock of Chaffinches and decent looking habbo, so there could be other stuff about. Good luck in your march to 300 - hopefully not long now!

Attachments

• IMG_0867.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    247.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1117.JPG
    IMG_1117.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1172.JPG
    IMG_1172.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 5
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back