• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most anticipated futures books (1 Viewer)

- The book is filled with ads, especially rather unsightly QR codes pointing to the Cornell internet library. There are also numerous logos etc., a bit like a dress of a pro sportsman.

I don't like these codes either, are the ones in previous versions now redundant due to the Cornell takeover?

Quality, cheap paper and cheap printing is evident in many books today. More and more printing errors, colour issues, pages that aren't guillotined properly or at all. Compare to old editions of the same book where possible and it's very evident, yet they still aren't cheap.

Last edited:
Shame they couldn't have included reptiles as well to make it more comprehensive, though these islands have already been well covered in previous texts. Not sure if there have been many splits since the last of these.

Swash and Still includes the reptiles and worked well when I visited a few years ago.

Niels

Honestly, I kind of want to see the Handbook of ... of the world series cover reptiles and amphibians next. I would find that more interesting than these guidebooks

Finally ordered All the Birds... from Lynx

................brings me to my biggest niggle with the book: the bloody taxonomic order!!! AARGH! Passerines aren't too bad but poxy Non-passerines are a mare! See attached to get my meaning...

Other than that it's well laid out with a nice (but depressing at the same time) part-illustrated list of extinct birds.
Only other issue is that the paper used is fairly thin....can see the print thru pages and I'd imagine very easy to accidentally rip it too...so beware!

Have finally become convinced to order this single-volume version as well. Reason for my reversal of the earlier decision came from studying the sample plate on the gallinules. I noticed not only that the "Purple Swamphen" has now been split into several species. That much was foreseeable, actually. But each "new" species now comes with its separate distribution map. That is much easier for me than trying to locate the separate areas from the lumped map in the two-volume Illustrated Checklist. Not sure how often this will actually matter, but Lynx sure managed to get me caught in the well prepared net. ;)
On the side, I also tried the QR code from the sample page, and sure enough, it worked. And while I would not have ordered for this feature, I still feel it is a nice addition. :t:

Last edited:
Have finally become convinced to order this single-volume version as well. Reason for my reversal of the earlier decision came from studying the sample plate on the gallinules. I noticed not only that the "Purple Swamphen" has now been split into several species. That much was foreseeable, actually. But each "new" species now comes with its separate distribution map. That is much easier for me than trying to locate the separate areas from the lumped map in the two-volume Illustrated Checklist. Not sure how often this will actually matter, but Lynx sure managed to get me caught in the well prepared net. ;)
On the side, I also tried the QR code from the sample page, and sure enough, it worked. And while I would not have ordered for this feature, I still feel it is a nice addition. :t:

I pre-ordered mine and am still waiting - apparently, it's being reprinted.

Does this imply quality issues with printing / binding, perhaps they've noticed the transluscence of the paper that some have mentioned?

Did they mean just yours, a whole batch or all of them?

Does this imply quality issues with printing / binding, perhaps they've noticed the transluscence of the paper that some have mentioned?

Did they mean just yours, a whole batch or all of them?

I've now heard back from my supplier. Mine is one of the last first print runs of the book and they have just arrived in the UK so it should arrive soon. I don't think there's any quality issue just a higher demand than anticipated.

Anyone who's read Jon Dunn's fabulous 'Orchid Summer' will want his forthcoming book 'The Glitter in the Green - In Search of Hummingbirds' (Pub. 'Basic Books' - evidently an American firm part of the Hachette Book Group). I'm no botanist or orchid fancier and only bought his first book because I knew Jon years back when he lived in Kent but even I found his book un-put-downable'. This is far more to my taste even if I've only seen three hummingbirds. I'm not sure when it's due out (it's yet to be listed as far as I can see on their website) but it's well worth looking out for ....

Attachments

• The Glitter in the Green.jpg
    The Glitter in the Green.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Got my copy

Must have been reprinted before they started their new sales-campaign. At least, I got my copy just two weeks after placing my order. It's really amazing to now have a one-volume version of "All the Birds of the World"! But compared to the two-volume Illustrated Checklist, this is definitely a "no-text" book. So to me this book would in no way substitute the two-volume checklist.

Despite ordering it in good time - a friend of mine got his last week despite only ordering it the week before - my copy of 'All the Birds of the World' finally arrived yesterday. It's useful to have everything in a single volume but I'm struggling to get the QR function to work. Not sure if it's the reader on my phone or the book ....

Despite ordering it in good time - a friend of mine got his last week despite only ordering it the week before - my copy of 'All the Birds of the World' finally arrived yesterday. It's useful to have everything in a single volume but I'm struggling to get the QR function to work. Not sure if it's the reader on my phone or the book ....

I’m getting the book for Christmas, so won’t be able to test the book for a while, but have successfully tested the QR codes from the sample pages online.

I assume you have QR Droid (Android) or QR reader (iPhone) or a similar app installed on your phone or tablet?

QR codes work fine for me, though I will admit that I have not checked all of them.. o:)

All the Birds in the World arrived today and I am just floored. One of the most amazing reference books and best book bargains ever IMHO. Granted it won't replace the encyclopedia but it is just amazing to sift through the diversity of birdlife in a single volume. I love the idea of the QR codes but notice they go through an intermediary link at Lynx before redirecting to the eBird page. I have to wonder how long that system will be maintained. I just wish iOS handled these more elegantly - using the camera app takes forever to get it aligned just right. Dedicated QR reader apps fare much better but for Ghose with auto lookup it can be very tough to make sure you get the right one on the first try, Still it's a nice little convenience that doesn't take up much room. The quality of the printing on my copy is pretty much spotless. I haven't noticed any of the thin paper problems that some have mentioned. The binding seems very robust, which any book this size will need. Overall I'm thrilled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back