• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So is the Canon R5 a bird photography body? (1 Viewer)

According to the EXIF information, Stanley has been using an R5 lately: https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=648388

Niels

I can't believe the positive comments about the shot in the gallery. I have no wish to denigrate Stanley's work but that shot is awful and I personally would have not posted it. It would be interesting to know a bit more about the shot. Is it a huge crop? Has a huge amount of noise reduction been applied?

In defence of the shot though I do notice that most uploaded shots in the gallery look poor compared to the originals due to the size and image quality limits imposed by BF. I presume Stanley's original looked much better!!

Last edited:
I feel I owe Stanley an apology for savaging his photo. He didn't ask for a critique, he didn't post it claiming it to be anything other than a shot for his gallery so it's unfair of me. All I can say is that if he is using Canon's latest and greatest he has plenty of potential to take much better images. What doesn't help him improve is being told when he post's images that he's already got there or linking his shots, presumably without his knowledge, on a post which people are following in the hope of gleaning positive information as an aid to deciding if this camera is the one for them.

I feel I owe Stanley an apology for savaging his photo. He didn't ask for a critique, he didn't post it claiming it to be anything other than a shot for his gallery so it's unfair of me. All I can say is that if he is using Canon's latest and greatest he has plenty of potential to take much better images. What doesn't help him improve is being told when he post's images that he's already got there or linking his shots, presumably without his knowledge, on a post which people are following in the hope of gleaning positive information as an aid to deciding if this camera is the one for them.

Well said. I did not inform Stanley that I had linked to his photo.

Niels

Have been shooting with the R5 combo with my EF 300mm f/2.8 and 2xTC for a couple of days.

I am not a very dexterous guy but manage to shoot this Kingfisher in flight fairly near with the aid of the Nikon DF -M1 Dot Sight.

Settings: 1/4000s f/8 ISO2000

The R5 is certainly the best camera for BIF so far imo. Probaby Sony may release something better in the near future.

My other images shot with the R5 can be found in https://www.flickr.com/photos/53435640@N05/with/50325766328/.

Attachments

• 50325766328_df61c1b2b2_k.jpg
    50325766328_df61c1b2b2_k.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 260
Have been shooting with the R5 combo with my EF 300mm f/2.8 and 2xTC for a couple of days.

I am not a very dexterous guy but manage to shoot this Kingfisher in flight fairly near with the aid of the Nikon DF -M1 Dot Sight.

Settings: 1/4000s f/8 ISO2000

The R5 is certainly the best camera for BIF so far imo. Probaby Sony may release something better in the near future.

My other images shot with the R5 can be found in https://www.flickr.com/photos/53435640@N05/with/50325766328/.

Oh boy.

Now that's what I call a convincing picture!

What body are you used to shooting with SeeToh?
Is the shot a big crop?
What do you think of the build quality?
Are the menus easy to interpret?
Layout of the controls OK or a bit on the small side?

Anything you didn't like?

I'm sure lots of people are wanting to know!!

I must admit, I'm swinging towards the R6 for lots of reasons and it does have the same AF system, in fact it's allegedly slightly better according to Canon.

Now that's what I call a convincing picture!

What body are you used to shooting with SeeToh?
Is the shot a big crop?
What do you think of the build quality?
Are the menus easy to interpret?
Layout of the controls OK or a bit on the small side?

Anything you didn't like?

I'm sure lots of people are wanting to know!!

I must admit, I'm swinging towards the R6 for lots of reasons and it does have the same AF system, in fact it's allegedly slightly better according to Canon.

I am using the R5. The un-cropped image is attached. As mentioned in my post, I shot it with the aid of the Nikon Dot Sight and not through the Electronic Viewfinder. I set the AF mode to zonal and it managed to focus on the Kingfisher when it appeared in the center of my Dot Sight. I used electronic shutter which is totally silent but I must say not all my shots are in focused.

As for the build of the R5, it is definitely not as sturdy as the 1Dx. Don't think you can afford to drop it.

If you are a current Canon user, it should be a piece of cake to switch over to R5.

Attachments

• 50332678602_daf844e07d_k.jpg
    50332678602_daf844e07d_k.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 50325766328_ae9d2e78b9_b.jpg
    50325766328_ae9d2e78b9_b.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I shot this Lesser Adjutant (size around 1.2 meter) with the R5 + 300mm f/2.8 + 2xTC combo from around 100m away. The un-cropped image is also attached.

Settings: 1/500s f/8 iso800

I reckoned the IQ of the R5 image is pretty good even with a big crop.

Attachments

• 50311032786_6f3fee62a9_c.jpg
    50311032786_6f3fee62a9_c.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 50331862733_0cea755087_c.jpg
    50331862733_0cea755087_c.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
I shot this Lesser Adjutant (size around 1.2 meter) with the R5 + 300mm f/2.8 + 2xTC combo from around 100m away. The un-cropped image is also attached.

Settings: 1/500s f/8 iso800

I reckoned the IQ of the R5 image is pretty good even with a big crop.

Looks very impressive!

I must admit though, build quality is an issue for wildlife and other outdoor uses. Might be weather sealed but it's almost inevitable that at some stage it's going to get knocked. Those articulated screens look very susceptible to damage.

Have you had any overheating issues?

No overheating issues so far but that's because I don't shot videos.

But the battery/camera jammed electronically occasionally which can be solved by switching off/on the camera. Will be a great concern if this happen when a rare bird come along.

No overheating issues so far but that's because I don't shot videos.

But the battery/camera jammed electronically occasionally which can be solved by switching off/on the camera. Will be a great concern if this happen when a rare bird come along.

I take it that you would have upgraded to the latest 1.1.1 firmware ? even though no specific mention is made of your issue.
https://m.dpreview.com/news/0049437...te-for-its-eos-r6-minor-update-for-the-eos-r5

Chosun :gh:

The Eye AF of the R5 is really awesome. It locked onto this Aleutian Tern even though my hands/setup were moving up-down-left-right on the rocking boat as we tried to approach nearer.

Attachments

• 50364828173_2f9c0ca53b_k.jpg
    50364828173_2f9c0ca53b_k.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 173
I'm probably going to write some sort of review of the Canon R5 on my website at some point, but to see the images, and a few clips of video from it, take a browse of my Twitter feed.

I've come to this camera from a Canon 1DX (original) and 7d mk2. The R5 is mind-blowing for how it focuses and retains the focus, especially with the animal eye-tracking mode.

I've not tried any 8K video yet, but have taken some 4K stuff, both normal and high frame rate, and mine hasn't overheated yet. It's barely got tepid.

Battery life isn't comparable to the 1DX, but isn't too far off the 7D2, and if you're taking shots with the electronic shutter, you can easily take thousands of shots from a single charge. I have just gotten used to switching it off when I'm not using it, whereas I'd leave the older mirrored cameras on.

The detail from the 45MP sensor is incredible, and allows for huge crops. The IBIS seems to work well. And using the new CRAW format instead of the full file, means the image files aren't enormous.

I'm loving mine, and I'm yet to invest in any RF lenses. Everything so far has been with the EF lenses I had already, and the adapter.

https://twitter.com/PeteWalkden1973/media

I'm probably going to write some sort of review of the Canon R5 on my website at some point, but to see the images, and a few clips of video from it, take a browse of my Twitter feed.

I've come to this camera from a Canon 1DX (original) and 7d mk2. The R5 is mind-blowing for how it focuses and retains the focus, especially with the animal eye-tracking mode.

I've not tried any 8K video yet, but have taken some 4K stuff, both normal and high frame rate, and mine hasn't overheated yet. It's barely got tepid.

Battery life isn't comparable to the 1DX, but isn't too far off the 7D2, and if you're taking shots with the electronic shutter, you can easily take thousands of shots from a single charge. I have just gotten used to switching it off when I'm not using it, whereas I'd leave the older mirrored cameras on.

The detail from the 45MP sensor is incredible, and allows for huge crops. The IBIS seems to work well. And using the new CRAW format instead of the full file, means the image files aren't enormous.

I'm loving mine, and I'm yet to invest in any RF lenses. Everything so far has been with the EF lenses I had already, and the adapter.

https://twitter.com/PeteWalkden1973/media
Have you noticed any issues with rolling shutter ?

Also are you or anyone else, aware of an EF to R adapter with a built-in TC all in the one unit ? 1.4x or 2x ?

Not sure I can wait for any native fast DO long lenses in R mount.
Waiting waiting waiting on Nikon, and not confident on investing in Olympus ..... everything is a bit mothballed at the moment anyway while mobility recovery continues ......

Chosun :gh:

Not with rolling shutter, though I did wonder if it affected the shape of the dragonflies' wings slightly. Certainly wasn't obvious, like photographing a fan or helicopter.

I don't generally photograph such things, but if I do, I'll use the mechanical shutter. 12 frames per second is fast enough for me.

I don't know of any plans for a built in TC in the adapter. I know you can get one that takes filters, and another that has the special function ring, like the RF lenses feature. I'm just using the basic EF one.

Before this, I was considering going over to Sony. They're about the only brand I can see that offers a similar, if not better product. But I'm happy with this camera for now, so will stay with Canon.

On the face of it yes it does look like a birding camera and the bird eye AF seems to be working really well full marks to Canon for bringing this out .

There is a but though for birds there are no fast long RF lenses and to get the best out of it you have to use RF as they have extra communication points 4 I think to get the best out of it, adapted lenses seem to work well but will always be second best that's not something I would want to live with .

Rob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back