• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small Raptor ID, London Ontario (no pic) (1 Viewer)

mrmanning

Southern Ontario Birder
I see this bird almost everyday from my work, so I can't snap a pic.
But I see it enough to have some good info that might help me to identify what bird this is.

From the looks of it, the bird is medium sized, maybe the size of a rock pigeon, with a slimmer build.

It usually sits atop a very tall pine tree in an urban park, and when it flies, it does not soar like most raptors I have seen, but rather flaps its wings very quickly, and has an extremely erratic flight pattern. WHen it does soar, it soars low to the ground, and not in circles like hawks or turkey vultures, but rather it soars in a straight line.

It is brownish with a lighter underside.

I am guessing it is a raptor because it does hunt when doing it's crazy flight thingy inbetween trees.

ANy direction of help is appreciated

Len

A sharp shinned hawk would be my guess. The type of flight that you describe sounds like an accipiter.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back