• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My new el 12x50 fp has left me confused! (1 Viewer)

Awesome to hear that you are enjoying your 12s. I look at the 12x50 ELs probably 4 times a week on the internet. Never looked through them, never even seen a pair. Your post encourages me to take the ($3000) plunge!

I was lucky enough to get the 12s at a discount!

I always take a deep breath whenever I buy any expensive optics, including camera stuff. But I've never regretted the purchase after a short period of use. A friend of mine often says to me "the price is forgotten long after the quality is remembered".

And the other aspect of good optics is when you do come to move them on, their resale value is normally pretty good.

I've had my 8.5s for a couple of years, they're in mint condition and I know I'll get a good price for them.

So I purchased the 8x32 last week and went to RSPB Minsmere to give the combo a try out.

It worked really well - the 12s were fantastic in the hides and I had great views of a bittern. No bearded tits though - they continue to elude me!

I've been also thinking of investing in a 12x50 be it the SV EL or the Leica. For those who have been using a 12x50 as well as owning a 8x, what are you major difference you can be expecting?

12s bring you closer, but you lose a lot of field of view, which can be critical in finding what you're looking for in the first place. Wobble from hand shake can be very aggravating. It's tempting to seek a bigger image, especially with your photography background, but finding and then observing through binoculars is a bit of a different ball game.

Also, good 12s are expensive, and you do want good ones, as the higher the magnification the greater the demands optically.

Thanks for the pointers and reminder! Indeed from a photographer background, going closer and clearer has always part of a photographer instinct and we take all sorts of angles and distance to frame the subject. Something that I realise that it may not be so when doing bird watching. (at least we don't usually place the subject in the middle of the frame)

Nevertheless, I've managed to try out a 12x50 from a local distributor. Apparently it seems to be quite handholdable for me since I know my hands balances well around 1kg. Now is more on the optics (costs) as well as the field of view.

I will put this out there, as I am familiar with some of the EL Swarovski's.

The 12x50 size is not a first choice for everyday use, but more specialized, so that means it is time to decide options.

This year I purchased the Meopta Meostar 12x50 HD, and it is very impressive in this size, and should be a consideration.

I am a Swarovski, Nikon, Zeiss, fanboy, so just take this as you like. ;)

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back