• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Four fungi and something else, Norway (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
On a forested lakeside walk in the mountains above Hell, I found these four fungi and another plant of some kind. This was the beginning of August.

I have a different view of the 2nd fungus if needed.

Attachments

• BF Fungus 1 for ID S0712323.jpg
    BF Fungus 1 for ID S0712323.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Fungus 2 for ID S0722324.jpg
    BF Fungus 2 for ID S0722324.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 20
  • BF Fungus 3 for ID S0772340.jpg
    BF Fungus 3 for ID S0772340.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 15
  • BF Fungus 4 for ID S0782341.jpg
    BF Fungus 4 for ID S0782341.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 15
  • BF Plant for ID S0572269.jpg
    BF Plant for ID S0572269.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 25
Thank you Max.

I think I've seen something like it before, but never knew what it was.

3 looks like a Russula - lepida or rubra - pic of the stem would help.

As it would with the others. They differ in the fatness (or thin-ness) of the stalk and how the gills are attached to it, plus the length (height?).

Sorry Jon, I was being rushed around the loch rather trying to get a view of a Red-throated Diver.

The only one I managed to get the underside of was the second, which had this broken neighbour. I don't really like to destroy things just to get a picture, especially as I have no knowledge of fungus really.

Attachments

• BF broken fungus for id S0732326.jpg
    BF broken fungus for id S0732326.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 9
Sorry Jon, I was being rushed around the loch rather trying to get a view of a Red-throated Diver.

The only one I managed to get the underside of was the second, which had this broken neighbour. I don't really like to destroy things just to get a picture, especially as I have no knowledge of fungus really.

You filthy twitcher you!!;)

Now all the holidays are 'sort of' over, I wonder if anyone is around to help out some more with any ideas for this motley selection of fungus?

Hi Delia,

Sorry, but you've picked some difficult species here...

1 - Needs a shot of the underside
2?, 3 and 4 are Russula species and are beyond the realms of reality without really detailed information like mycorrhizal partner, smell, taste, stem/gill photo, spore print etc.

Cheers,
Nick

Hi Nick

Thanks for looking.

The best I could do was to get a picture of the neighbour to No 2 (post 5), which was already broken.

About to go and Google what a "mycorrhizal partner" is! Never heard the term before LOL.

Are you saying No 2 is a Russula sp too?

Hi Delia,

Sorry, I should have explained better!

Some fungi are only capable of existing when certain trees are present, their 'roots' (=hyphae) literally penetrating the tree roots, forming a relationship called a 'mycorrhiza', where they share and swap certain nutrients.
Sometimes this relationship is quite exclusive - For example you will only ever find Russula carpini under Hornbeam trees.
Sometimes though, the fungus is a little more 'promiscuous' and likes a broader range of trees - For example Russula nobilis likes several broadleaf trees in Fagaceae (Beech family)
...So quite often by identifying the trees in the area one can get a good idea of which mycorrhizal fungi might be present.

Yes, I originally thought number 2 could belong to the Russula foetans group (though I remain unconvinced) - That group usually has very strong odours, sometimes of crab, honey or chlorine. The specimen is unfortunately quite tatty hence my reluctance to commit to an ID.

It is (usually) quite easy to identify Russula species to genus because they have a certain type of tissue structure in the stem that breaks like a piece of chalk when snapped - Other fungi are made of tightly packed fibres (=hyphae) and 'tear' rather than 'snap'. Russula species also have a rather stout appearance, thick white flesh, gills that crumble easily when rubbed with a thumb (hence the common name 'Brittlegill), no ring on the stem, no patches or scales on the cap. And all of them are mycorrhizal so of course they always appear under trees!

The problem is there are lots of Russula species (several hundred in the UK I'd imagine) and they can sometimes be difficult to identify, even with access to a microscope and various chemicals to test reactions. I don't want to put you off, though - They're beautiful mushrooms and there are species with every cap colour you can imagine.

Cheers,
Nick

Gosh Nick.... thank you so much for all that information - it's really interesting.

I'm sorry I didn't take better note of their surroundings, it was a sort of normal Norwegian forest, lakeside edge, rather scrubby and wet. None appear to have been directly related to a particular tree though, they were just growing out of the rather mossy ground.

Looks like I'll have to send Ann (Doc Duck) round it again to report back;) No doubt it's under 6 inches of snow up there just now though!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back