• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coul Links, Embo under threat - RSPB petition (1 Viewer)

Given the SNP's recent poor record on environmental matters (is it me or have they reverted to being the Tartan Tories in that regard?) I'm not holding my breath.

And, my, my, but the astro-turfers are out in the comments on some media reports about this one.

Will use that contact link though.

Last edited:
Given the SNP's recent poor record on environmental matters (is it me or have they reverted to being the Tartan Tories in that regard?) I'm not holding my breath.

And, my, my, but the astro-turfers are out in the comments on some media reports about this one.

Will use that contact link though.

Thanks Murmur - I did happen to mention that in my email to them...learning from past mistakes, etc. Don't think it will do any good, though - don't suppose I ever thought there would be any other outcome since I first came across this, but had to do something. Appreciate your input.

Ian

This is my very first post, only having joined earlier today. Having perused various forum threads in the last several hours, I happened on this one by pure chance. But hey, fate and karma happen for a reason right? I've signed the petition and have added an very strongly (but appropriate;)worded letter attached. So I would hope that my short time here might have even a bit of impact on something so very dear to my heart personally. Although I now reside in Kent, my family also hails from Scotland, and as a former US citizen and now proud British one, my very heart, soul and pen is now dedicated to helping my cherished adopted home to hopefully avoid the sort of irreversible damage I had witnessed in my former homeland. Thank you for welcoming me to this site, and thank you for allowing me a small chance to make another voice heard. Warm regards from the weald, ladybudd

Hi Ladybudd and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Thank you for helping with this petition.

Hi Ladybudd, and welcome to Birdforum. There's always lots going on, lots to learn, and I'm sure you will enjoy it greatly. Many thanks for making this your first post! Grateful for your support and time. Won't go on about the area, as it's all in the previous posts above, but a place where my heart is, so thanks once again for your time, conviction and action. Enjoy BF!

Best

Ian

ps apologies if you already know, but if you click "go advanced" underneath the blank message box, you can enter a message, but also choose to be alerted by email when a new post comes into this thread.

LOL Ian.... I've never thought of doing that if I wasn't actually posting something; I'd have thought you'd get a message like "Your post is too short" if there was nothing there, but you don't. We live and learn, don't we.

There's various other ways too: click on Edit underneath your own post (must be done within 24 hours of posting it though), or click on Thread Tools at the top of the page and there's an option there too. Alternatively you can do it through your Control Panel. Not sure of any others off-hand.

The application has been called in by the Scottish government; I'm viewing this as positive, as the councillors had over-ruled the decision/advice of their officers.

Watch this space!

Came across the developer's website. They have a section called "Not Coul - not true". https://www.coullinks.co.uk/not-coul-not-correct

This is an extract:

"How will birds such as Oyster Catchers, Curlews and Cuckoos benefit from the Coul Links development?
Thanks to the development, birds will enjoy a better level of protection, as shooting on the SSSI will cease with the implementation of the golf course. The area will also see a large reduction in disturbance from footfall traffic once the course is built – particularly in winter months when the course is closed".

Shooting??? Eh??? Fake news indeed! And the second sentence really means wildlife enthusiasts will not be able to walk in this area. Grrr!

Govt consideration extended until 28 August. http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...ife-site-at-coul-would-be-blocked-in-england/

Ian

Football?! - there are no such facilities, it's a wild area and somewhat remote. Looks like Warnock (developer) is getting desperate. He also said that the ecology will be improved and I commented on his fb page that he doesn't know what ecology means. And he went back on his word that he would withdraw if it got 'called in' to the Scottish ministers.

Came across the developer's website. They have a section called "Not Coul - not true". https://www.coullinks.co.uk/not-coul-not-correct

This is an extract:

"How will birds such as Oyster Catchers, Curlews and Cuckoos benefit from the Coul Links development?
Thanks to the development, birds will enjoy a better level of protection, as shooting on the SSSI will cease with the implementation of the golf course. The area will also see a large reduction in disturbance from footfall traffic once the course is built – particularly in winter months when the course is closed".

Shooting??? Eh??? Fake news indeed! And the second sentence really means wildlife enthusiasts will not be able to walk in this area. Grrr!

Govt consideration extended until 28 August. http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...ife-site-at-coul-would-be-blocked-in-england/

Ian

Reduction in footfall, eh?

Is that him admitting that folk aren't going to visit the golf course? When his whole supposed economic argument for it was that he would bring MORE people to the area, who would spend more money there?

Make your mind up! The 2 things are mutually exclusive.

Public Inquiry details are now out: The Inquiry will take place in the Carnegie Hall, Clashmore, Dornoch, IV25 3RG, starting at 10 am on Tuesday 26 February 2019, running Tuesday to Friday and expected to last around 4 weeks; public can attend to observe and there will be a live webcast.

Thanks for the update Murmur.

Tell me, who shoots Oystercatchers, Curlews and Cuckoos these days?

I'm following this on FB. I hope Scotland does the right thing this time. It should be a protected site for a number of reasons, one being a rare type of coastal habitat.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back