• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arizona and California birding (1 Viewer)

Hi there,

This summer I will visit Arizona and California. Since this will be a family trip mainly (though my birder's eyes will be open anytime ofcourse 8-P), birding time will be restricted to:
* SE Arizona where we will visit Cave Kreek ranch (Chiricahua Mountains)
* a Californian Pelagic,
* a couple of days in California.

My questions concerns California. Out of numerous possibilities, what would be the best picks for early August in terms species-rich areas PARTICULARLY in that time of the year?

Any suggestion (for the whole trip) welcome!!

kindest regards, Frank

My questions concerns California. Out of numerous possibilities, what would be the best picks for early August in terms species-rich areas PARTICULARLY in that time of the year?

California is a big place. You are unlikely to be able to move very far from where the pelagic is to find other bird areas, unless you have lot of family time in between. So which area within California are you interested in?

Niels

You're fully right Niels, sorry for being incomplete. Roughly, we will cover the costal area between San Diego up north till San Francisco, so let's consider that part of the state as the working area.

It should be a good time of year for shorebird migration. If you're travelling between southern Arizona and southern California then it's easy to visit the Salton Sea, which should be excellent at that time of year. It'll be packed with waterbirds and you'll pull in a very good species list. On the coast an area like Elkhorn Slough should be really good and has a good mix of habitats. It's fairly near Monterey for pelagic birding too.

There are lots of other options but it maybe depends on what you want to see. A look on Ebird for hotspots is a good way to start. Go for the orange/red dots!
http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspots

Early August at the Salton Sea might produce a day list along these lines:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S24565133

Last edited:
Later in August

We did roughly same area of California, although later in August including Salton Sea, San Diego, Pelagic at Monterey and then some time in SFO and Yosemite.
Trip report attached.
This gives you places we visited and what was around so you can chose where to spend the time.

Attachments

• California.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
Thank you so much Andrew, David and Sarah - this is already very helpfull.

Though I'd highly appreciate anybody else wanting to share information, this really puts me on track!

best, Frank

OK, if you are driving from AZ towards SD or LA, then you are likely to pass by Joshua Tree Natl Mon. It is not very birdrich compared to the coast, but it is a nice stop for some species you are unlikely to see further west - and for general just being there, it is my fav place in California.

Quite close was Big Morongo, a spring-fed area with nice birds in desert surroundings.

I would also look at the Morro Bay area, we saw quite a good variety of birds there. The area along the coast from there to Monterey is spectacular, and we did see Condor in that area. However, my visits have not been in August.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back