• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starting with butterflies and moths (1 Viewer)

jesus

Hi all.

This summer I spent my vacations in the northwest coast of Spain (Galicia). I went out birding all I could but I found, at night, lots of different moths came to visit us to a big window and wall with a powerfull lamp. I was surprised how many different ones you could see in just that little space.

This reminds me when I started with birds, thinking it was going to be impossible learning to identify so many. But I will try to study and learn.

I even didn't know there was a butterfly/moths section in the forum.

Could you please help me to start with these ones.

Thank you. :t:

Attachments

• Moth 1.jpg
    Moth 1.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Moth 2.jpg
    Moth 2.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Moth 3.jpg
    Moth 3.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 33
  • Moth 4.jpg
    Moth 4.jpg
    693 KB · Views: 29
  • Moth 5.jpg
    Moth 5.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 29
Hi
Here are my ids:
#1 is Habrosyne pyritoides (Hufnagel, 1766).
#2 is Menophra abruptaria (Thunberg, 1792)
#3 not sure, will have to check
#4 is Ochropleura plecta ssp. (or f.) unimacula (Staudinger, 1859)
#5 is Xanthohoe fluctuata (Linnaeus, 1758)
Martin

Unless there are similar species there I'd say......

1 Buff Arches
2 Waved Umber
4 Flame Shoulder
5 Garden carpet

Andy has given the 'British' vernacular names (me the scientific) but they refer to the same species. Strictly speaking photos for identification should go in the sub-thread,
Enjoy your mothing.
Martin

Wow, that's quick reply. Thanks for your help.

I now know there is a specific sub-thread for identification. I will post next ones there, sorry. And I'll be waiting for #3 ID.

Is there a good online identification web to start with the bascis while I look for a good book guide?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back