• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Difference of view through binos w or w/o laser protection (1 Viewer)

Elmer Fudd

Who of the forum members is the proud owner of especially one resp. two of the newer Hensoldt military binos 8x30, 7x50 or 10x50 with and without laser filter protection and would like to provide a view by camera through the tubes of his treasure(s)?

I'd like to know how disturbing a laser protected pair of binos might be in comparison with the same model without this device.

Elmer,
I don‘t have the Hensoldts, but I could provide pictures through the tubes of same model Kern 8x30 military binos with and without laser protection, if that would be of interest to you (the one without laser protection would also show no reticle).

Last edited:
Elmer,
I don‘t have the Hensoldts, but I could provide pictures through the tubes of same model Kern 8x30 military binos with and without laser protection, if that would be of interest to you (the one without laser protection would also show no reticle).

Canip, thank your for your kind offer! Yes, it would be of much interest to me. I think that the view would be similar compared to the Hensoldt boys.

Elmer,
here are pictures taken through the right tube (therefore no reticle in either image) of
- Kern 8x30, with laser filter
- Kern 8x30, no laser filter
Don't focus on image sharpness, differences are due to my inability to get identical images with my iPhone.
But the difference in color tones - the one with laser filter showing a distinct green-blue hue, the other one much warmer in tone - is easily visible. The difference in image brightness is actually not that distinct in the photos, but in real life, the laser filter absorbs some brightness, no doubt.

Canip

Attachments

• laser filter.jpg
    laser filter.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 42
  • no filter.jpg
    no filter.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 40
I have the Hensoldt 8X30 with the laser filters, I have also viewed through one without, plus a 7X50 without. If you get one, get one without the laser filter, you loose about 10 percent of light transmission with them. Also read some of Holger Merlitz reviews, they have good info and insight. Additionally, the FOV in the 8X30 is a bit narrow at 7 degrees.

Andy W.

Hi,

cannot comment on Hensoldt as my DF 8x30 has no laser filters. But I have a pair of Fujinon M22 which would be a nice pair of bins if they didn't have a laser filter... awful purple tint... not to speak of light transmission...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back