• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are these fungi? (1 Viewer)

charly streets

Charlie Streets
I found these growing on moss yesterday in West Yorkshire. There were dozens of them all around 0.5mm or less and seem to be releasing plenty of dark spores. Does anybody know they are?

Thanks for looking.

Charlie.

Attachments

• Stalk Balls on moss 2.jpg
    Stalk Balls on moss 2.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Stalk Balls on moss 1.jpg
    Stalk Balls on moss 1.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 18
Hi Charlie,

No, not a fungus - These are fruitbodies of a myxomycete.

Since we don't have a myxo section in the forum I guess we can just deal with them here :)

I'm unfortunately a bit out of touch with these little guys but I'd suggest looking in the genera Physarum and Didymium, which both have dark spores and a light coloured capillitium (visible in your nice photos).

If I remember rightly, Didymium has crystals covering the peridium which separates it from Physarum (which doesn't).

Cheers,
Nick

Hi Nick,

I should know by now that any fungi-like object that has me puzzled usually turns out to be an undentifiable slime mould. Although to be fair you have narrowed it down a fair bit. Many thanks as always.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back