• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with bird box in garden (1 Viewer)

dooksy

Hi everyone,

This is my first post in the forum and I can’t wait to become a birder going forward.

I’ve always been fascinated by birds but most of my life I’ve lived in apartments until now when I’ve just bought my first house and I now have a garden to start watching birds and helping feed and clean them.

I’ve moved into the house and the previous occupants left behind a bird box attached to the front of the house. I’ve not touched it in case I potentially disturbed anything inside.

This morning for the first time I saw a blue tit perched on the hole and they kept putting their head inside really fast and frequent. It then went inside the bird box and then a few minutes later left.

My question is should I just leave the bird box as it is? I originally wanted to open it when I moved and clean it out in case there was anything inside that needed removing so it would be ready for a new bird to use it but because I’m new to birding I have no idea what the best thing to do.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks Ben

Attachments

• B7C3489C-7211-4706-9531-E5D019F583E0.jpg
    B7C3489C-7211-4706-9531-E5D019F583E0.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 15
Hi Dooksy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I moved your post to the Nest Box forum, as I think you're likely to get the more expert advice you need in there. My personal feeling is that you should perhaps now leave things alone until the Autumn, and see what happens with this box.

You are subscribed to this thread, I see, so you should be able to find it easily. Meantime I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Hello Ben and welcome to the forum, enjoy and all the best and like Delia says leave things as they are and let the birds get on with it.

Agree to leave the box alone for this year as it has been prospected by blue tits and if suitable will be occupied soon. There is plenty more to do now you have a garden and I'm sure you'll want to plan it with a view to birds and wildlife in general.
As well as feeders a source of fresh water is helpful.

Totally agree that you should leave well alone for the time being. If the box has been used before any new occupants will some do their own spring cleaning and replace any left over previous nesting material that may be inside the box. Post summer, it may be a good idea to take it down and give it a clean out then ready for next year.

Obviously I do not know how long it has been there but don't be to concerned if it is not used this year. I have had a box up in my garden for many years, and yet despite several blue and coal tits investigating it, it lay unoccupied for about three years until last year when a family of Wrens moved in. I note that they have already been having a good look at it again over the last few days.

Obviously it pays to have a good selection of shrubs/trees etc (include a few evergreens) in the garden to provide cover and food and setting up a feeding station (not too close to the nest box) will also attract more birds to the garden. Good luck. let us know how it goes.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back