• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attachments (1 Viewer)

paj

United Kingdom
All

I can't see image attachments on forum postings, either as the image itself or as a clickable icon.
I can view gallery images with no problem and am using Windows 2000 Professional.

Any ideas for a fix?

paj

Do you have any add ons to the browser such as ad blocking stuff?

What Browser are you using (normally on Help->About menu item)

Hi Niall

Internet Explorer 6.
No ad blockers but I use Zone Alarm Pro. However I have always used ZA and previously had no problem. This seems a recent affliction, possibly since upgrading to Windows 2000.

paj

Niall said:
Do you have any add ons to the browser such as ad blocking stuff?

What Browser are you using (normally on Help->About menu item)

I have a mega problem with attachments as I mentioned yesterday,when people sent me some pics via e-mail.Our O/E and Norton between them seem to refuse to allow any attachments to be opened,but I can download pictures from the gallery here,no problem.
I wonder if anyone has the answer as to why this happens.
Christine.

Paj,

On your user options, for this forum, have you disabled "Images" from the Post Elements. If so enable it, and don't worry we all do that sort of thing from time to time.

If not the below may apply.

paj said:
No ad blockers but I use Zone Alarm Pro. However I have always used ZA and previously had no problem.

Zone Alarm pro does come with ad blocking, though I thought it put in a caption for blocked ads....

paj said:
This seems a recent affliction, possibly since upgrading to Windows 2000.

From the client side of things the mechanism used for gallery and embeded pictures appears to be much the same, so I would doubt it is IE or Win2K, the source URL is different though so it could be an ad blocker which is mistaking one but not the other for an ad.

Though it will make pages you visit on a regular basis slower to load for the next visit it may be worth going to Tools -> Internet Options, then on the General tab clicking the "Delete Files" button in the middle of the form, in the box that says Temporary Internet Files. Then close IE reopen it and try viewing a message with an attachment.

NB do the Delete Files bit when looking at another web page.

It could be that IE has cached an iffy version of the attachment URL page.

Niall

Thanks.

Checked Ad blocker on Zone Alarm and found I had it set to High. Changed it to medium and the images magically appeared.

paj

Niall said:
Paj,

On your user options, for this forum, have you disabled "Images" from the Post Elements. If so enable it, and don't worry we all do that sort of thing from time to time.

If not the below may apply.

Zone Alarm pro does come with ad blocking, though I thought it put in a caption for blocked ads....

From the client side of things the mechanism used for gallery and embeded pictures appears to be much the same, so I would doubt it is IE or Win2K, the source URL is different though so it could be an ad blocker which is mistaking one but not the other for an ad.

Though it will make pages you visit on a regular basis slower to load for the next visit it may be worth going to Tools -> Internet Options, then on the General tab clicking the "Delete Files" button in the middle of the form, in the box that says Temporary Internet Files. Then close IE reopen it and try viewing a message with an attachment.

NB do the Delete Files bit when looking at another web page.

It could be that IE has cached an iffy version of the attachment URL page.

christineredgat said:
I have a mega problem with attachments as I mentioned yesterday,when people sent me some pics via e-mail.Our O/E and Norton between them seem to refuse to allow any attachments to be opened,but I can download pictures from the gallery here,no problem.
I wonder if anyone has the answer as to why this happens.
Christine.

I am thinking that you may have recently downloaded some security updates from Microsoft?? If so the updates may have turned off the attachment facility. I presume you could open and read attachments before?

Open Outlook Express and go to Tools > Options.
Select the Security tab.
In the top section there is a box and the text: Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened, etc.
Make sure there is not a tick in this box.

digi-birder said:
I am thinking that you may have recently downloaded some security updates from Microsoft?? If so the updates may have turned off the attachment facility. I presume you could open and read attachments before?

Open Outlook Express and go to Tools > Options.
Select the Security tab.
In the top section there is a box and the text: Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened, etc.
Make sure there is not a tick in this box.
Diane,thankyou. Yes i found the box,it actually said "not to open attachments etc which may contain a virus" but the computer cannot really tell which is which ,can it,or can it anyway I have unticked the box.
Christine.

christineredgat said:
Diane,thankyou. Yes i found the box,it actually said "not to open attachments etc which may contain a virus" but the computer cannot really tell which is which ,can it,or can it anyway I have unticked the box.
Christine.

It's just a 'belt and braces' setting in Outlook Express that prevents the viewing of attachments so that an unsuspecting user cannot click on them to open them and potentially spread a virus.

The only way to detect a virus is to use a virus checking programme - or don't use email!

I take it you can now see your attachments?

Diane thanks for 2cnd message re "belts and braces".I seemed to have reached the thread before your reply.I haven't received any attachments as yet,but I'll send one over to Barry's half of the pc and see what happens.Everything changed after "wormblaster".It hit South Cumbria quite badly and our pc guy came and fiddled with things,and hence,yes since then all attachments seem to have been barred.
Christine.

No,Diane ,I cleared everything as it would not open.But Iv,e just sent Barry a microsoft word document and I was able to open it,although I could not access the doc from Outlook,I perhaps need to save it somewhere,but it opened straight away on his screen ,but then again it was not from Outlook,although I did have to go on line to send it.
Complicated!!.but thanks again Diane ,it looks as though the problem is solved.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back