• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Untitled... (1 Viewer)

Colleen?

I think we really need CAU in here to sort it all out!

Or a woman dressed in black?

I do hope so!

Clever Crows are always welcome here!

PS Good luck with your current project CC! Looks like I'm gonna have to go "Crow-Wise" an' start [I]"that thread...?"[/I]

Ah well! ;)

Last edited:
So Wallanders good is it..? Not got into that.....am 'into' Luther...with the main man being Stringer Bell out of 'The Wire'...[what a series that was]!!
I am still grieving over the ending of 'Ashes to Ashes'...no more Gene Hunt..!!! AArrgghh!! Still...it was good while it lasted and i'm glad they brought back the original writer...[just wish they'd get RussellT back to do the Doctor Who]!...just hasn't got 'that edge' now i'm afraid...:-C [It has got that gorgeous doctors assistant tho]...:smoke:

Anyway...TV n film aside...;)

Ennion awesome...long tailed skua's...awesome...

Many moons ago i did the long tail skua passage in the Hebs. Now...i suppose i shouldn't use the word 'awesome' again...but...they are!
I did a little pic of a long tailed somewhere on my thread...and i sort of regret not including poms...which are equally 'good' trailing their spoons! I remember as soon as we got 'in position' a flock of 75 pomarine went by and our jaws dropped...:eek!:

ps....i stick to my usage of the word 'charming'...it is amazing the way your written notes surrounding pics are so integral....[okay...i might just use the word 'fresh']...;)

Last edited:
It is cool how the notes are an integral part of the whole as User rightly points out. It makes for a different experience to others work. Makes it individual, which is such an elusive quality. Lovin' it.

Mike

But to this day, these scribbles have always reminded me of a struggle, sometimes, to get to a point where you understand something IS what it IS...

Wonderfully put, and drawn, Phil.

There is a bit of a controversy here which I imagine is occurring over there as well regarding going out into the field and playing programs on your ipod to call in various birds. Of course now you don't know whether you're hearing another bird or another ipod. Not to mention the stress to the birds. My roundabout point is that someone should package up some of these drawings and put them into a ipod program in the interest of showing people what they COULD be doing, and learning, and enjoying, while out in the field.

having not commented for a while, I am left with a solid page chock-a-block full of brilliant drawings and not knowing where to start. I am just going to keep it simple, Dipper, Rough-leg and Skua are all simply stunning. How come you never showed us this brilliance before! I could add detailed notes and analogies on why each individual drawing is so fantastic, but I'm going off to Wales tomorrow morning and I wouldn't be finished by then! Be going to Anglesey and I won't be back til wedensday, but I'll have plenty of sketches once I'm back, I promise!

Keep up the sketches, can't wait to see what the modern work is like Phil :t:

Wallander is an acquired taste. I love it to bits. But with live Black Woodpecker calling? Gotta be my favourite! (Like high-pitched machine gun rounds!)
Beautiful shots of Southern Sweden makes it even more special!

Thanks all for the nice feedback. Still trying to get "Untitled..." into some sort of shape. But maybe it doesn't need that. After all, it is a work in progress. And you people are making it have form. And I am indebted to you all for that! :t:

I was taken by the annotated drawings people did for the Rarities Commitee in this country in the 80s. Reproduced in the British Birds Annual Report of Rares. I believe that was why I began doing this. Mainly because I wanted to convince my own "panel of scrutineers within." Also, it was like a way of avoiding pages of descriptive text. Making the description come alive, so to speak.

I recently showed my notebook entries to John Martin (Avon Recorder, and finder of the 1st WP Fregatta Petrel!) I asked him if I needed to send in separate descripts for the pieces I'd done. He said no. It was all there that he needed. And that he loved the stuff. Guess it must cheer a county recorder up, not to have to wade through paras of dry hand-writing!;)

John is the nicest bloke you'll ever wish to meet BTW. A superb birder, and also...a brilliant artist! :t:

The 2 pieces I showed him related to the "big-blow" in the Severn Estuary (UK) last November. Here's the first....

Attachments

• Litl Auk SB 25.11.09.JPG
    Litl Auk SB 25.11.09.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 72
having not commented for a while, I am left with a solid page chock-a-block full of brilliant drawings and not knowing where to start. I am just going to keep it simple, Dipper, Rough-leg and Skua are all simply stunning. How come you never showed us this brilliance before! I could add detailed notes and analogies on why each individual drawing is so fantastic, but I'm going off to Wales tomorrow morning and I wouldn't be finished by then! Be going to Anglesey and I won't be back til wedensday, but I'll have plenty of sketches once I'm back, I promise!

Keep up the sketches, can't wait to see what the modern work is like Phil :t:

This is now recent work Gropper. Thanks for pulling me back into the present! ;)
And thanks for the kind words. Woo-Hoo! Tysties and Choughs! Hope you get them! We want to see what you found and sketched! :cat:

And here's another.

Severn Beach/New Passage (South Gloucestershire, England) is one of my local haunts since the 80s.

The Severn Estuary is like a giant Heligoland Trap. When winds pick up fom the right direction it can force pelagic species into the "neck of the bag."

For years, I'd been going there in conditions I thought right for Leach's Petrel. And for years...no luck!

On this one day I got lucky, with a nice Pom Skua thrown in for good measure.

On returning from my "secret sheltered sea-watching site", and no! I'm not giving it away! I was surprised to see "millions" of birders huddled against the elements, in the usual sea-watch site (where the sea-wall gives some little protection against the winds and rain.) Even Lee Evans was there. Which I thought odd?

I thought they'd all come down for the Leach's.

I later found out that, earlier that day, John Martin had found the West Pal's first Fregatta Petrel here!

I was more than satisfied, however, with seeing my first Leach's Petrels! B :)

PS Maybe I should email these to John Martin? Whoops! :-O

Attachments

• Leach's SB 25.11.09.JPG
    Leach's SB 25.11.09.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 63
Wow !!! your sketches are excelent, just like what I want to accomplish. Your sketches remind me to those moleskin boyage carnets (travel diaries) you see in the net.
Excuse my english.

Wow !!! your sketches are excelent, just like what I want to accomplish. Your sketches remind me to those moleskin boyage carnets (travel diaries) you see in the net.
Excuse my english.

Federico,

Gracias amigo! Thanks a lot. And a warm welcome to Bird Forum!

Don't worry about the english. I'm a qualified TEFL/CELTA teacher. So, this is a good place to practise!

If at any time you have a query with this language, PM me, and I'll give you advice. OK?

What are "moleskin boyage diaries" ?

Regards,

phil/felipe

Last edited:
Some more oldies...B :)

Attachments

• Waxwings Worle.JPG
    Waxwings Worle.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 74
  • semi p dawlish 1.8.97.JPG
    semi p dawlish 1.8.97.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 180
  • My Spot Crake CVL.JPG
    My Spot Crake CVL.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Tree spar.JPG
    Tree spar.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Pom SB 3.5.96.JPG
    Pom SB 3.5.96.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 60
Love the page of crakes, such character, and those feet3:)

flash painting thread is started....thanks for the idea...

one thing really good about your pages is one can actually read the notes, in nice block print...my field notes on the other hand are unintelligible after 2 days, my scribbling is a mess, mostly I don't write anymore...some how if my hand is drawing it doesn't write, and if writing doesn't draw:smoke:( I've never figured out what this emoticon means, but I like it, so try to use it when I can)

More sensational stuff, Phil. The Long-tailed Skua I'm in awe of - never seen 'em! I also love the little auks and petrel, although I've had more experience with martians than sea birds.
You're right about the old BB's. There's nothing I like better than to browse through old rarity reports and the wonderful sketches within. I'm often inclined to buy the BB interactive just on the strength of these. Alas,with the advent of the digital age, this kind of thing seems to be becoming rarer.

Russ

Really lovely drawings. Like Colleen I'm really taken with the Crakes.

But I'm also taken with the Waxwings. Just saw a few yesterday and they just won't sit still. They 'look' like they're sitting still. But as soon as you put pen to paper they're gone. I've yet to get a good drawing of one, though I see them with some regularity in the summer here. That makes these all the more impressive.

More sensational stuff, Phil. The Long-tailed Skua I'm in awe of - never seen 'em! I also love the little auks and petrel, although I've had more experience with martians than sea birds.
You're right about the old BB's. There's nothing I like better than to browse through old rarity reports and the wonderful sketches within. I'm often inclined to buy the BB interactive just on the strength of these. Alas,with the advent of the digital age, this kind of thing seems to be becoming rarer.

Russ

I was worrying about your eyesight then Russ...Long tailed Skua..??!!
Then i realized you must be referring to post 35....;)

ps...crackin sketches again Phil....[tree sparrow my favorite i reckon]...smart little birds that i'm fortunate enuff to have around these parts...albeit in small numbers...

more fantastic stuff Phil. the crake I love, the eye looks so sweet, innocent, doleful and bambi-like! I can imagine it sitting there, looking so sweet it makes you want to cry!

But as a newly established seawtahcing maniac I have to say that Pom is simply superb! Perfect symbolization of the spring I didn't have!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back