• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LBJ's (little brown jobs) (1 Viewer)

paj

United Kingdom
All

I have problems identifying finches, buntings, larks, pipits etc in flight if their details are burnt out by the sky.
Has anyone got any tips on how to identify any of the above by flight characteristics alone?

Some time ago I downloaded a short message from a newsgroup on how to identify some of our terns at distance.
If anyone is interested I could repost it on this Forum.

paj

Hi Paj

The tips on Terns would be most useful. Anything to help less experienced birders is worthwhile. We are always on the lookout for tips for our club members.

As for your buntings etc. Try starting with one or two species and make a point of noticing the calls or more especially the flight characteristics when the light is good. Also I strongly recommend going out with a more experienced birder. Do not forget the range of tapes CD's etc and even songs and calls on the Internet.

Thanks burhinus

Burhinus

Here is the article on tern ID.
In the interest of copyright this was first posted by Martin Collinson on UK.Rec.Birdwatching.

Newsgroups: Uk. rec. birdwatching
Sent: 11 June2001 21:02
Subject: Re: Quick ID of terns?

William Hewitt wrote
Watching terns from a distance, without decent bins or a scope, are there any easy ways to tell them apart?
It depends how far away you are, but...

Sandwich terns can look very white, and the grey of the primaries rather messy. They have an irritating partridge-like croak of a call, not nearly as pleasing as the other terns. The short tail and (apart from early spring) white forehead stand out from quite a way away, and these are the easiest terns to identify. They are also quite big.

Common/Arctic/Roseate terns are more difficult from any distance, when you can’t see the classic plumage differences. Look at the flight patterns when feeding. Arctics can never make up their minds whether to dive or not -classically they swoop down, stop, hover close the surface for a second, and then splosh in. Commons on the other hand tend to be much more decisive -fly, bank and splosh! Arctics have a lower body mass, with the airy bouncy flight that goes with it, although Commons can be airy with the best of them.

Roseates are easier to separate from the other two - they have a more fluttery fast-winged flight like little tern, look pale like Sandwich terns and a distinct way of diving- fly along, then head down and fly into the water almost. Easily picked out in a mixed flock of terns.

All these terns, like all birds, can do as they damn well please, so these are only guidelines. Without experience, everyone finds terns difficult, but you are probably the best placed person in the World for getting them sorted out!

Cheers
Martin

I have problems identifying finches, buntings, larks, pipits etc in flight if their details are burnt out by the sky.
Has anyone got any tips on how to identify any of the above by flight characteristics alone?

Ooh where to start.

To be honest 95% of it is by call. You hear a Lark and look up and see it. Ditto finches, buntings and even Pipits.

In descending order after that I use size, wing shape, tail shape.....and of course liklihood!

There is a bit about flocking behaviour too. Siskins and Redpolls are always changing position in a flock. Chaffinches tend to hold station.

I tend to do non calling Pipits on wing-shape, there are 4 almost even primaries in the wing tip of a Meadow pipit, so the wings look like paddles. Tree pipit has three and the wings are longer anyway.

I see you live on the Wirral. The easiest way to demonstrate is to come out and have a go.

My solution is much less technical. I added a species category to my Bird database called LBJ's and since I see one or two every outing, I can just "tick" them off like all the others :cool:

Seriously though, thanks for your posting on the Terns and Jane's hints for the LBJ's. They'll both help me.

Last edited:
Jane Turner said:
Ooh where to start.

There is a bit about flocking behaviour too. Siskins and Redpolls are always changing position in a flock. Chaffinches tend to hold station.

I see flocks of bigger birds mostly. If someone has an article on flocking behavior, I would like to read it. I do not have the various bird behavior books.

Correction: Now I have the Sibley bird behavior book. Some flocks seem to be extended families of 10 birds or so, so obviously the two senior birds rule there.

And obviously there are different times of the year, more flocking after nesting etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back